Windows 10: When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server

Discus and support When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a VPN server setup using a 2003 server with L2TP. The VPN server only handles the VPN access using local server accounts that are not part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RLKTech, Sep 9, 2019.

1. RLKTech Win User

When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server

I have a VPN server setup using a 2003 server with L2TP. The VPN server only handles the VPN access using local server accounts that are not part of the network domain. When I connect to the VPN and access the 2008 server on the network I can see all the shared folders including the denied folders. I even tried to connecting a laptop using the local account on the laptop that did not have an account on the server and I was able to access the shares on the 2008 server. When the laptop is connected to the network locally the shares are restricted like they should be but when they are connected to the VPN the shares become unrestricted and I have full access. Why is it bypassing the server security and how do I restrict access.

:)

RLKTech, Sep 9, 2019

2. How to set up a VPN in Windows 7 HELP!!

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Change adapter settings.
    Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

brandonwh64, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Internet Access through a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 VPN

Hi all

How can I enable internet access via my MS Windows Server 2012 VPN?

I have successfully enabled my VPN (L2TP) to give me a access to a network with application servers on, but would like to extend access to open internet via this network and VPN connection? A number of my clients provide HTTP and VPN-out access from their
    networks but block a number of ports (POP3, FTP, SMTP, etc.).

What are the steps to

1) Enable the VPN to provide pass-through to the VPN servers internet access?

2) Enable this on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 VPN clients who only have VPN-out access (no direct internet access)?

Thanks

Joe

joppenheim, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Harpert Win User

When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server

VPN incoming Network connection

Hi,

on Win 7 I created an incoming VPN connection
    Using my laptop to VPN to that PC I not only had access to my own network, but also could use Internet with my home IP address. This helped in watching TV when in a foreign country When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server :)

I have tried to connect both to a Windows 10 Incoming and a Windows 7 incoming connection (using my Win10 laptop) but I always get " No Internet access" so... apparently no real routing is done anymore.

I seems to be caused by the Windows 10 client, but when connecting VPN to a Small Business Server 2008, indeed this same Routing is done.... So I don't understand where it's going wrong.

What I want:
    Incoming connection on my Office PC (I did forward both port 1723 and 47 to that (Win7) PC
    VPN connection on my Win 10 laptop

and to be able to browse Internet WHILE having a VPN connection

Thanks,

Harpert, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

1. When I connect to my network using a VPN I cannot restrict access to Windows 2008 server - Similar Threads - connect network using

2. L2PT VPN connection restricts internet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    L2PT VPN connection restricts internet connection: I am currently working from home and connecting to my work PC via L2PT VPN connection and Remote Desktop Connection. It is working perfectly fine on Windows 10. However, If I do a fresh install on Windows 11, the connection is fine for a couple of hours and then for some...
  3. VPN Connects but cannot access remote network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Connects but cannot access remote network.: I am connecting to a remote network via VPN. I can make the connection but cannot access the remote's local network even though I have allowed access on the Server's Incoming setting. The login account has read/write permissions to the local shares. Both Remote and Client...
  4. why can't I access the internet when using a vpn.

why can't I access the internet when using a vpn.: I am using windows 10 build 21277.1000 and am trying to use Express vpn but whenever I have the vpn activated I cannot access the net. Whenever I disconnect form the vpn there is no problem. I also have the vpn on my tablet and it works fine there, but it is on...
  5. Server 2008 and Windows 10 connection

Server 2008 and Windows 10 connection: Hello- I've been trying to solve an issue that started on 11/4, Windows 10 V2004 PC stopped connecting to a Server 2008 running on a VM on a Hyper-V server 2019 host mapped drive and folders. It would connect, then disconnect a minute later. When connected, we can...
  6. I have internet connection and im using vpn, then i disconnected the vpn and i cant access...

I have internet connection and im using vpn, then i disconnected the vpn and i cant access...: Hello, Im using windows 10 and last night im using vpn and its work normally. After, im using i disconnected the vpn and the wifi is disconnected. I tried to connect to my wifi again. it shows " Connected, Secured". I tried to.open chrome, youtube and it show " no internet...
  7. Windows 10 VPN Connection to Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise failing

Windows 10 VPN Connection to Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise failing: Greetings, I am looking for documentation that provides the proper procedure for setting up a VPN connection from a laptop running Windows 10 Pro to a small office server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. The connection is being done primarily over Wi-Fi and,...
  8. Restricting Networking Access

Restricting Networking Access: I have two Pcs let A & B. Both are connected through LAN and both are having Windows 10 installed. In both the computer there are two accounts viz. Administrator and Guest. I have restricted the access of Guests in Administrator Account. Now I want to restrict the access of...
  9. No access to Windows Store when connected to VPN

No access to Windows Store when connected to VPN: Hello all, I use VPN on Windows 10 Home edition when I connect to internet. This, however, stops me from downloading anything from Windows Store. Same thing happens when I tried to use Photos and Mail apps. I have to turn off VPN so I can download anything. Error...
  10. Cannot ping server name when connected to other VPN

Cannot ping server name when connected to other VPN: I have a local server where the Server name is setup with the server IP address. I can ping the server name or the IP address from my Win/10 PC. I also connect to several other companies using a VPN connection. When I am connected to one of the VPNs, I can no longer ping...