Windows 10: when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead

Discus and support when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I double click any icon on my desktop, it opens the recycle bin instead. When I right click any icon I get the recycle bin drop down. I can open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Krushef Rumundo, Jul 13, 2021.

1. when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead

When I double click any icon on my desktop, it opens the recycle bin instead. When I right click any icon I get the recycle bin drop down. I can open folders and files via the taskbar and start menu but not the desktop. Then suddenly, things might go back to normal. Not sure why except one time I tried to rename a file and got an error message 0x8000401 and then things worked normally again. If I restart or come out of sleep, the problem returns. Also, when I'm reading emails while this desktop problem is active, some of my emails won't scroll down - they "resist" and then snap back up.

:)

Krushef Rumundo, Jul 13, 2021
  2. ipellant Win User

Missing desktop icons and recycle bin

No problems on the current Windows 10 on three computers I have running dual screens. Desktop Icons only appear on the primary screen.

All icons including the Recycle Bin not showing. The Recycle Bin could be the cause.

There was a bug / glitch during the Insider Preview builds that would flash up a message saying the Recycle Bin was corrupted or missing.

It seems that the Recycle Bin attempts to build a list of recycled files on all the drives on the computer. If the recycled files id is out of sync, that caused the bin to fail.

Suggest:

Copy some files; then delete them; then reboot and see if the Recycle Bin appears.

ipellant, Jul 13, 2021
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    How do I get the recycle bin to open a window when I double click the recycle bin icon, it just started doing this but it only stays minimized

Hello,

To resolve the issue with your Recycle Bin, we suggest resetting it. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key+x and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and then hit
      Enter
    • Exit Command Prompt.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Jul 13, 2021
  4. when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead

Lost Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Hello,

We highly suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following: To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box. ...
    • Click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Trixie Mop, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead

1. when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead - Similar Threads - double click desktop

2. The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens...: The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens another app. What is going on?. I just did updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-recycle-bin-opens-other-apps-on-my-computer/e4965f06-d292-4336-b7fb-97238e06c9ce
  3. The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens...: The Recycle Bin opens other apps on my computer. When I double click on an app it opens another app. What is going on?. I just did updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-recycle-bin-opens-other-apps-on-my-computer/e4965f06-d292-4336-b7fb-97238e06c9ce
  4. Desktop icons in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons in recycle bin: Hi guys, Having a small problem where i go to start my laptop in the morning after using it the night before and for some reason alot of my desktop icons have been sent to my recycle bin? So every morning i have to restore them all... it`s a bit annoying. I have Sync turned...
  5. Items saved in the desktop transfers in the Recycle bin when opened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Items saved in the desktop transfers in the Recycle bin when opened: Hello. I'm a teacher and bought a laptop last September and had windows 10 installed as operating system. It was required that I had to download modules for my lessons. I had some of my downloaded files moved from the downloads folder to the desktop for easier access for...
  6. How to show 'Empty recycle bin' when right-clicking in the Recycle bin icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to show 'Empty recycle bin' when right-clicking in the Recycle bin icon: Hi, I installed a software called JetClean and JetBoost, freeware and similar to CCleaner. It added some options when right-clicking in the Recycle bin icon "Empty with JetClean" or something like that. And that was OK. However, I install and run Malawarebytes Antimalware...
  7. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: Windows 10 doesn't show the Recycle Bin Icon. How can I recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/94dea936-1ae4-428f-ab92-ae499eb5a093
  8. If I click any icon in Desktop it disappear automatically into recycle bin and when I enter...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    If I click any icon in Desktop it disappear automatically into recycle bin and when I enter...: If I click any icon in Desktop it disappear automatically into recycle bin and when I enter into recycle bin it says 'do you want to delete it permanently'...
  9. Recycle Bin on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle Bin on desktop: I can't access this folder on my desktop icon to see what is in it, please can you help me? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-on-desktop/22ccbdea-d6b5-4416-b4ee-4fb418c0652e"
  10. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: I don't have a recycle bin icon on this laptop. How do I get one? I'd like to empty it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/70730411-9560-4ffb-9bc6-60b85efdee2a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when I double click any desktop icon it opens the recycle bin instead

2. Any icon I double click on the desktop opens recycle bin

3. any desktop icon clicking my computer recycle bin opening

4. clicking my computer recycle bin opening