Windows 10: When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made

Discus and support When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to select photos from my PICTURES folder on my PC with Windows 10 and I want to make a copy eventually paste them on to an SD card. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Peterde Voogd1, Mar 22, 2019.

1. When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made

I am trying to select photos from my PICTURES folder on my PC with Windows 10 and I want to make a copy eventually paste them on to an SD card. I started to select some and after about 10 pictures, I realized the computer started to make duplicates of the selected ones and just added (1) after it. I didn't even have a chance to choose, copy or anything. All I was doing was holding down control and clicking on the photos I wanted to select. I had the same issue the other night but there were up to 10 duplicates made of the same file (1), (2) and so on until there were over 1000 files added. How do I get this to stop. I cant just select one at a time and then hit copy, and paste it into the other folder. There has to be a better and easier way that doesn't make duplicates.

:)

Peterde Voogd1, Mar 22, 2019
  2. Ispinne Win User

Ctrl + space no longer working to select multiple, non-consecutive files in Win 10

For some reason, using Ctrl + Space to select multiple files no longer work. If I use the keyboard to navigate, Using Ctrl to "hold" the currently hovered/selected file works, and if I then keep holding Ctrl and go to another file, hitting space does nothing.
    If I hold shift and press space, it will select all the files from the previously "starting" file, but for some reason, selecting individual files cannot be done.

Not entirely sure if there is something else "catching" this combination (Ctrl+space) or what, but it's really annoying that it doesn't work, and there isn't really a "show all keyboard-shortcuts assigned on the system"...

Any solutions?

Ispinne, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Berton Win User
    How Do I select multiple files in a folder from a list of file names

The tried and true methods, there's 3, is one to click the first file in a list, scroll down to the last one desired, hold down the Ctrl key and click the last one, selects all the files between from the first to the last. The second is to hold down the Ctrl key and click individual files in a random order, where not alphabetized. The third is to use Ctrl plus A to select All files in the Folder. Once selected use Ctrl plus C to Copy, Ctrl plus V to Paste to a different location. Or right-click the selections to Copy or Move then Paste.

Berton, Mar 22, 2019
  4. When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made

Unable to select multiple files

All of a sudden, i.e. the last few days, I'm unable to "ctrl-click" or "shift-click" to select multiple files either contiguously or inter spaced. This occurs on Explorer and out Outlook.

From a previous post, I ran the hardware trouble shooter and got no errors.

CharlieATL, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made

1. When I hold CTRL to select multiple files, i notice all of a sudden duplicates are being made - Similar Threads - hold CTRL select

2. When I click a group of files, it selects all the files in this group.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I click a group of files, it selects all the files in this group.: So I found an very, VERY annoying feature on the Windows File Explorer. When I click on any group, it selects all the files in the group. How do I disable this? Thanks!...
  3. When I click a group of files, it selects all the files in this group.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I click a group of files, it selects all the files in this group.: So I found an very, VERY annoying feature on the Windows File Explorer. When I click on any group, it selects all the files in the group. How do I disable this? Thanks!...
  4. When I click a group of files, it selects all the files in this group.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I turn off the copy function, when I hold CTRL, and then Hold the files with cursor and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I turn off the copy function, when I hold CTRL, and then Hold the files with cursor and...: I am just not a fan of this feature, and I never use, so I was wondering can it be turned off? submitted by /u/MeSmeshFruit [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ynowwp/can_i_turn_off_the_copy_function_when_i_hold_ctrl/
  6. Not being able to use spacebar when holding Shift or Ctrl Key.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not being able to use spacebar when holding Shift or Ctrl Key.: I don't know the reason behind this but suddenly I can't use my spacebar key when I'm holding my Shift or Ctrl Key. My spacebar is working but for some reason this only happens when I'm holding shift or ctrl key. I have no clue of how this happened nor I have done any changes...
  7. Not being able to use spacebar when holding Shift or Ctrl Key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to use spacebar when holding Shift or Ctrl Key.: I don't know the reason behind this but suddenly I can't use my spacebar key when I'm holding my Shift or Ctrl Key. My spacebar is working but for some reason this only happens when I'm holding shift or ctrl key. I have no clue of how this happened nor I have done any changes...
  8. Not being able to use spacebar when holding Shift or Ctrl Key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. When I left-click and hold to select multiple files on my desktop the selection box draws...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I left-click and hold to select multiple files on my desktop the selection box draws...: Title. This started happening after setting up some discord commands, though not sure if the issue is related. Was pressing things like shift+] , and some other random stuff. submitted by /u/Platinum_104 [link] [comments]...
  10. I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...: Any idea why this would be the case? Every "answer" I find says to just use the shift key, but for some reason this is NOT working. The keyboard works fine, so it's not my shift key!...