Windows 10: When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i...

Discus and support When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As the subject above.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrianMills6, Dec 1, 2020.

1. When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i...

As the subject above.

:)

BrianMills6, Dec 1, 2020

2. black screen when playing videos on microsoft edge

Hello,

I just did windows 10 anniversary (Aug2, 2016) on my PC and video on Edge plays audio only and the video part is just showing a black screen. It was working just fine this afternoon before the update.

thanks

Seaside292, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Snaiper Win User
    Video 'artifacting' in Chrome for 7 seconds, black video in Edge and IE for 7 seconds (Facebook, YouTube Gaming) - also on some GIFs

This is something I've noticed on Facebook mainly, and I believe it's caused by Windows 10 upgrade + latest AMD 15.7 drivers, because those are the only two things that have really been changed recently that could affect it.

So, what is going on?

Chrome

Well, on Chrome there is weird video artifacting; when video starts playing the colors seem to be shifted, some negative, whilst most of the video is black, and then video continues to play normal after 7 seconds.

Edge

Microsoft Edge is something I've never tried using, but now I did for testing purposes. The result is that videos, on Facebook at least, play completely black for 7 seconds and then continue playing normally, just like on Chrome. The main difference is that the video is completely black in the beginning, there is no strange artifacting.

Internet Explorer

IE has the same black screen like Edge happening for the same amount of time as the two above. However, on IE the video freezes on 7th second for maybe 2 seconds, and then continues to play normally after.

So, how do I play first 7 seconds normally then? Well, I have to start the video, then just drag the player line back to the beginning or restart the video then it plays normally.

I've also noticed this on some GIFs on Imgur too. Some GIFs in Chrome have that artifacting for 7 seconds if not viewed in full screen/separate tab in Chrome.

This also seems to be happening on YouTube Gaming (YouTube's livestreaming service to compete with Twitch). The artifacting is there for about 7 seconds and then it goes away. I've noticed that artifacting sometimes just happens in the facecam of the user, whilst gameplay is intact for those 7 seconds of artifacting.

I have absolutely no idea what exactly is causing this or what the issue may be.

GPU: R9 270X

Snaiper, Dec 1, 2020
  4. When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i...

Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i...

1. When i play a video my screen has a black edge to it after a few seconds. Why and how do i... - Similar Threads - play video screen

2. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game: Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time 30-60 seconds my fps performance gets worse and its mostly unplayable. i have tried to reinstall windows, reseted my whole...
  3. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game: Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time 30-60 seconds my fps performance gets worse and its mostly unplayable. i have tried to reinstall windows, reseted my whole...
  4. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  6. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  7. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Black screen and comes back after few seconds

Black screen and comes back after few seconds: Hello,It started happening today. What I already tried?Enter in safe mode, uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and make a clean install of the latest version 466.77 I was running either 466.47 or 466.63.sfc /scannowdism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthWhen I was installing the...
  9. Why am i seeing a black screen whenever i play a video ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why am i seeing a black screen whenever i play a video ?: So After recent updates of windows 2004 there's a new bug of video playing with a blank screen on it , basically we cant see the video that we're playing it's all blank it with a black screen but we can hear the audio and see the captions, the drivers and everything is upto...
  10. how do i startup the computer when it has a black screen

how do i startup the computer when it has a black screen: I just had a Windows 10 update and logged off. Aftrwards, how do i startup the computer goes black after i login? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-startup-the-computer-when-it-has-a-black/f29e5283-e25b-447a-bfef-7b64b53cb17a