Windows 10: When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder

Discus and support When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I plug in an external drive, e.g. a WD 8 TB, I cannot rename any folder there. Creating, copying folders work. What could I do to rename a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Enter, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Enter Win User

When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder

When I plug in an external drive, e.g. a WD 8 TB, I cannot rename any folder there. Creating, copying folders work.

What could I do to rename a folder?

:)

Enter, Jan 7, 2019
  2. nate_995 Win User

unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, Jan 7, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jan 7, 2019
  4. When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder

Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder

1. When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder - Similar Threads - plug external drive

2. Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder: If I right click on my desktop and go to new my computer freezes up for about 30 seconds. The box goes away and nothing happens. This makes it impossible to create a new folder on my desktop. Something I have been doing for many years. Before you suggest it is something wrong...
  3. When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...: I am using Windows File Explorer, Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude E5570. The screen flashes as I am typing the folder name and I may only get a few characters typed before it exits edit mode and shows my folder with a partially typed name. I have to try to rename many times...
  4. When I plug in earphones there is no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When I plug in earphones there is no sound: I use Windows 10 PC, it is Dell Inspiron 7000. I cannot use earphones because they are not working, no sound when I plug them in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-plug-in-earphones-there-is-no-sound/6cac5262-91ff-489e-8a83-648e5ec5a105
  5. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!: Hello, I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished as I...
  6. Laptop beeps when I plug it in

Laptop beeps when I plug it in: Whenever I plug my laptop into a outlet it makes a beep Im sorry if I put this in the wrong topic section https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/laptop-beeps-when-i-plug-it-in/265c3c29-39a4-49cb-a922-ebc0d89f28fb
  7. cannot rename cortana folder

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot rename cortana folder: I want to disable cortana. When i kill process and i try to rename it, when process is not running, i still get message access denied on administrator account. This used to work. Any ideas please ? 112794
  8. when I plug in a usb drive its not shown in explorer

when I plug in a usb drive its not shown in explorer: when I plug in a usb drive its not shown in explorer I also hot swap SSD drives and as far as windows is concerned they are not there! In win 7 I used to get a sound and they would appear in the explorer window almost immediately. does anyone else get this? thanks...
  9. No bass when i plug in headphone

No bass when i plug in headphone: I need help guys, when I play music through my laptop speakers, it plays well with bass but when connect and earphone or headphone to my audio jack, the music quality decreases and the bass of my headphone has extremely low bass. I don't know if it has to do with me updating...
  10. Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot (".")

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot ("."): Hello! I have a kind of unusual problem. I have a couple folders with music in them, but the albums have dots in their titles. The two issues I'm currently having are with "I Love You." by the Neighbourhood and "Promises Ltd." by Promises Ltd. I've tried renaming them...