Windows 10: When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio

Discus and support When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The audio on my laptop works fine. But when I plug in a HDMI cable to hook up my laptop with another screen, I lose my audio completely. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeoffreyPayne, Jun 19, 2020.

1. When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio

The audio on my laptop works fine.

But when I plug in a HDMI cable to hook up my laptop with another screen, I lose my audio completely.

I have tried running the troubleshooter on my audio but that doesn't work.

How do I fix this?

:)

GeoffreyPayne, Jun 19, 2020

2. Play Audio through HDMI cable plugged into TV

Hi,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

HDMI (high definition multimedia interface) is a cable connection that sends both the HD audio and video signal between HD equipment. If your laptop computer has an HDMI input connection installed, it is possible to play the audio of an HD device directly
    through the laptop computer's speakers. Doing so doesn't require any additional equipment, except for an HDMI cable.

Plug the HDMI cable into the "Out" port on the device you want to send the audio signal from (such as an HD audio receiver or even a high definition television set).

Attach the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI connection port on the laptop computer.

Double-click the audio icon in the lower right corner of the laptop. Make sure nothing is checked off under the "Mute" option.

Play the audio from the original source device and the HD audio will play through the laptop computer system.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Sudharshan M K, Jun 19, 2020
  3. CJTFVLA84 Win User
    Play Audio through HDMI cable plugged into TV

Thanks, but that's the opposite of what I asked. I have a desktop and am trying to play sound through the TV, using the HDMI port. Works for my 360, haven't seen the digital audio device option on my Windows 10 platform.

CJTFVLA84, Jun 19, 2020
  4. 944382 Win User

When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio

Laptop display and monitor will not wake when HDMI cable plugged into laptop.

I have a laptop. Lenovo ideapad FLEX 4-1480 Signature Edition.

The laptop has a display, and the laptop is connected to a monitor via an HDMI cable.

Sleep mode is disabled.

Screen timeout is enabled.

I lock the computer. The laptop display and monitor both eventually deactivate.

I move the mouse and press keys to wake the monitor. Nothing happens on either the laptop display or the monitor.

If the HDMI cable is not plugged into the laptop, the laptop display will wake as intended. The problem happens only when the HDMI cable is plugged into the laptop.

I have to remove the HDMI cable from the laptop, wait a few seconds, reinsert it, then the laptop display and monitor will wake. Again, the laptop display will wake just fine when the HDMI cable is not plugged in.

944382, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio

1. When I plug in my HDMI cable from my laptop to another screen, I lose my audio - Similar Threads - plug HDMI cable

2. I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop: I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop, so I think there was a disconnection somehow, like it was shaking and ever since then, my system boots but displays nothing after booting...
  3. I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop: I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop, so I think there was a disconnection somehow, like it was shaking and ever since then, my system boots but displays nothing after booting...
  4. I plugged my VGA cord to my HDMI converter and then to my TV from my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop screen starts glitching when I plug the hdmi cable to another screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen starts glitching when I plug the hdmi cable to another screen: So I have this problem that started the 24/07/2023 I will explain it very detailed so I can find help here, my laptop has always been connected to the same screen with the same hdmi cable and worked well. Then that day I opened my switch that is connected to the same screen...
  6. Laptop screen starts glitching when I plug the hdmi cable to another screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen starts glitching when I plug the hdmi cable to another screen: So I have this problem that started the 24/07/2023 I will explain it very detailed so I can find help here, my laptop has always been connected to the same screen with the same hdmi cable and worked well. Then that day I opened my switch that is connected to the same screen...
  7. This happens every time I move my cursor when I connect my hdmi cable from my laptop to my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This happens every time I move my cursor when I connect my hdmi cable from my laptop to my...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RossMckay572 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jd400f/this_happens_every_time_i_move_my_cursor_when_i/
  8. I am having to plug USB cable from my printer into my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I am having to plug USB cable from my printer into my laptop: Split from this thread. No I do not have to sign in to my email each time and I am going through web browser. However, since the update of edge, I have not been able to use my printer wirelessly I am having to plug USB cable from my printer into my laptop. I forgot to...
  9. I have a HDMI cable attach to my TV from my laptop, but the screen "times out" and I lose...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I have a HDMI cable attach to my TV from my laptop, but the screen "times out" and I lose...: I have a HDMI cable attach to my TV from my laptop, but the screen "times out" and I lose the picture on the TV... Where do I find where I can extend the screen activity time?...
  10. i plug a hdmi cable into my laptop and it goes blank

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i plug a hdmi cable into my laptop and it goes blank: plug a hdmi cable into my laptop, then it goes blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/i-plug-a-hdmi-cable-into-my-laptop-and-it-goes/312f7af0-1cb6-47ec-aa1b-11b424714454