Windows 10: When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at...

Discus and support When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After the scan locks up, I can only hit cancel to end the scan. This makes the computer work at a snails pace until I run the custom scan. This then... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr.BofZ, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Mr.BofZ Win User

When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at...

After the scan locks up, I can only hit cancel to end the scan. This makes the computer work at a snails pace until I run the custom scan. This then allows me to turn the computer off. When I turn the computer back on, it runs slower than normal, and the mute button works without the light going on or off. The only way I get back close to normal is by going to recovery and running reset of windows 10. After that I'm OK, but I notice a screen flick when I hit the Windows tab to pull up my menu, and some things slow down now and then. I don't dare scan or it starts all over again. (six times in the last two months). Any ideas?

:)

Mr.BofZ, Aug 11, 2018
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Aug 11, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Virus Scan ONLY tool?

I was using Malwarebytes to run scans on things I downloaded to make sure they're clean before I run them... but now Malwarebytes wants to run constantly and wants to do virus scans all the time, even though I told it not to (I'll scan a single file then it starts another threat scan on its own).

Are there any good tools that do virus scanning only?

4. Steve C Win User

When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at...

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

1. When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at... - Similar Threads - run quick scan

2. Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now": Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-virus-scan-will-not-run-nothing-happens-when/8a877970-9d81-4206-a607-5366b7e39680
  3. Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now": Full virus scan will not run. Nothing happens when I click "scan now" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-virus-scan-will-not-run-nothing-happens-when/8a877970-9d81-4206-a607-5366b7e39680
  4. the virus & threat protection quick scan or full scan will stop at around 3000 files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the virus & threat protection quick scan or full scan will stop at around 3000 files...: Hello when i try to run a quick virus scan or full scan it just stops after scanning like 3000 files. when i used to run the quick scan it would complete the scan it would say 25000 to 35000 files scanned and nothing found. . I think i have a virus because i get emals from...
  5. the virus & threat protection quick scan or full scan will stop at around 3000 files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the virus & threat protection quick scan or full scan will stop at around 3000 files...: Hello when i try to run a quick virus scan or full scan it just stops after scanning like 3000 files. when i used to run the quick scan it would complete the scan it would say 25000 to 35000 files scanned and nothing found. . I think i have a virus because i get emals from...
  6. virus protection only do quick scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    virus protection only do quick scan: Hello,I am using windows defender and if it detects a virus I just do quick scan however, it would not give me any action it only shows quick scan again? What to do?...
  7. virus protection only do quick scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus protection only do quick scan: Hello,I am using windows defender and if it detects a virus I just do quick scan however, it would not give me any action it only shows quick scan again? What to do?...
  8. Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan: I've scheduled a Defender weekly run (which wasn't easy) but I find that it's using the Quick Scan option. I'd like it to do the Full Scan option. I went to Microsoft's "help" pages but they just led me around in circles. I this possible? Or am I barking into the wind?...
  9. Defenders Full Scan

Defenders Full Scan: I decided to do a full scan of my computer to see if everything was alright and it's been hours since then. It's still continuing to scan my files and the time remaining went down at first but now it's increasing instead of decreasing. I don't know why and I'm wondering if I...
  10. Defender: no Full Scan

Defender: no Full Scan: Windows Defender tells me no action is needed. But when I use "Run a new advanced scan" nothing happens. No dialog to choose option for Full Scan. Terry, East Grinstead, UK Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)...