Windows 10: When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty

Discus and support When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty. The computer is only a few months old.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jonarooni, Aug 3, 2020.

1. jonarooni Win User

When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty

When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty.

The computer is only a few months old.

:)

jonarooni, Aug 3, 2020

2. Dirty Bit not same state on the two possible Command Prompts

Using Windows 10. When I enter Command Prompt with holding down shift key when restarting and using fsutil dirty query c: , the Dirty Bit state is 0 or off. When I enter Command Prompt (Admin) from running the Windows program and using fsutil
    dirty query c:
    , the Dirty Bit is 1 or on. I think the latter condition is why I always get the Disk Check running notification when booting up. I've tried everything to clear the latter mentioned Dirty Bit state but nothing works. I saw one suggestion
    to use a hex editor and actually go into the Bios? to put the Dirty Bit state back to 0, but don't feel comfortable with that. The disk check using
    dskchk c: /f /r in the first mentioned Command Prompt shows the disk has no problems. Why are the Dirty Bit settings different? Could this be why Macruim does not want to clone the disk?

Thanks for any help and comments.

RolandO_774, Aug 3, 2020
  3. srfreeman Win User
    FSUTIL and Windows Update Failures.

Your rant is replete with misinformation... the noted link does not point directly to a flow chart of any kind.

Your "The command (fsutil dirty querry cWhen I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty :) may not tell the whole story..." leads some one to believe there is a story to be told, which is not the case. The command - fsutil dirty query C: - simply checks to see if the volume's dirty bit is set.

If the volume is dirty, the following output displays:

Volume C: is dirty

If the volume is not dirty, the following output displays:

Volume C: is not dirty

In your example - fsutil USN deletejournal /n /d c: - the usage of both the /n and the /d parameter simply makes no sense.

Your "...some users get unknown errors, or, fictitious error codes..." is itself fiction.

srfreeman, Aug 3, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 Scanning and repairing drive (\\?\CWhen I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty :) continued after replacing hard disk

This is an ongoing issue with Windows 10, where it thinks there is an issue with your drive when there is not . . .

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator, run this command to attempt to clear the dirty bit on your C drive:

chkntfs /x C:

Then run this command to see if the dirty bit is cleared on the drive

fsutil dirty query C:

DaveM121, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty - Similar Threads - run fsutil dirty

2. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C drive is dirty.: Hello, today when I booted my pc there was a screen saying "scanning and repairing drive C:...". I found it strange and searched it up immediatly. Most of the tutorials said for me to do lots of stuff and in the end to go in cmd and use the command "fsutil dirty query C:"....
  3. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C drive is dirty.: Hello, today when I booted my pc there was a screen saying "scanning and repairing drive C:...". I found it strange and searched it up immediatly. Most of the tutorials said for me to do lots of stuff and in the end to go in cmd and use the command "fsutil dirty query C:"....
  4. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive c: dirty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive c: dirty: Hi, I have a issue with my drive c: being dirty. I tried following the answer in this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-needs-repair-on-every-single-startup/ac83ece6-e18a-4839-b1bd-c5b3a88abe68 , however I don't see command prompt on the...
  6. Drive c: dirty

Drive c: dirty: Hi, I have a issue with my drive c: being dirty. I tried following the answer in this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-needs-repair-on-every-single-startup/ac83ece6-e18a-4839-b1bd-c5b3a88abe68 , however I don't see command prompt on the...
  7. C: Drive Dirty error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: Drive Dirty error: Recently started getting repairing and scanning drive every start up because my pc froze one day and wasn't shut off correctly, as in power unplugged. I’ve been on support with Microsoft for 4 hours before giving up and going to bed without an answer. Conclusion was my C:...
  8. C: Drive Dirty error

C: Drive Dirty error: Recently started getting repairing and scanning drive every start up because my pc froze one day and wasn't shut off correctly, as in power unplugged. I’ve been on support with Microsoft for 4 hours before giving up and going to bed without an answer. Conclusion was my C:...
  9. C drive is dirty

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C drive is dirty: So I was getting black screens in my games and on booting my computer it was scanning and repairing my c drives so I went over to command prompt and ran fsutil dirty query c : and it popped off the message that volume c is dirty how do I remove the dirty bits ? Is this what...
  10. fsutil dirty query c: Volume - c: is Dirty . How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    fsutil dirty query c: Volume - c: is Dirty . How do I fix this?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/66mubddg4c051.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=7daa9b1ea4d11da706a328caa762a203fdcda054 submitted by /u/Cataal1337 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/golf8v/fsutil_dirty_query_c_volume_c_is_dirty_how_do_i/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fsutil dirty drive

2. fsutil dirty query run