Windows 10: When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after...

Discus and support When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I have a new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I have been using Windows 10 for a while now but on a different laptop and never had that problem and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NCCGROV, Dec 27, 2019.

1. NCCGROV Win User

When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after...

So I have a new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I have been using Windows 10 for a while now but on a different laptop and never had that problem and it's gotten me stumped.

I saved a couple of files to my Desktop folder. The files do show in Windows Explorer as being in the Desktop folder. However, when I view the actual Desktop, the icons for those files aren't on the Desktop at all. All my previous files that I moved from my old laptop's desktop to this laptop's desktop show just fine.

The new files that I just created on this laptop don't appear on the Desktop until I reopen them from Windows Explorer. Then the icons for the files show on the Desktop.

Is there a setting I need to change somewhere so the icons for the new files show on the Desktop as soon as I have saved those files to the Desktop?!

Thanks.

:)

NCCGROV, Dec 27, 2019
  2. Tom Kunzo Win User

Saving Files To The Desktop

Hi,

I noticed that when files are saved to the Desktop in Windows 7, the file were just saved - that was all.

However, in the case of Windows 10, after the files were saved, another file appeared on screen, showing the files saved on the Desktop.

I think that the latter is completely unnecessary and regressive.

Therefore, I suggest that the same format should be used as in Windows 7, i.e. just save the files without showing another screen with the files appended in the drive where they are saved.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom Kunzo, Dec 27, 2019
  3. brufair Win User
    Gray X's on Desktop files appearing

Gray X's have recently started appearing on all of the files and folders I have placed on my Windows 10 desktop.

When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after... [​IMG]

The X's are in the lower left corner of the icon.. They only appear on icons belonging to actual files or folders saved on the desktop. (Not on shortcuts to other locations.)

Examples would include: Excel files, PDF files, JPG files, folders actually residing on the desktop, text files, etc. The appearance of the "X's" have not interfered with my ability to access the files. This does NOT occur any place else (other folders on my hard drive, etc.) other than on the desktop.

Logging out as a User or rebooting does solve the issue for 1-2 minutes once I am logged back in, but then they reappear.

Doing a screen refresh does nothing. Right-clicking on the file (or folder) and resetting the default program to open the file (or folder) does nothing.

I have not recently installed any new back-up programs.

Deleting the Desktop DataBase in the Registry does not help.

Any suggestions or known solutions would be most appreciated!

brufair, Dec 27, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after...

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

1. When I save a file to my desktop, it doesn't actually appear ON the desktop until after... - Similar Threads - save file desktop

2. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange file appears on my desktop !: hello all .. there is an undeletable file appears on my desktop have a weird name and it doesn't even open , anyone can tell me what it is please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-file-appears-on-my-desktop/b4d59d99-7ad6-41df-9f14-00b61837dc58
  3. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange file appears on my desktop !: hello all .. there is an undeletable file appears on my desktop have a weird name and it doesn't even open , anyone can tell me what it is please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-file-appears-on-my-desktop/b4d59d99-7ad6-41df-9f14-00b61837dc58
  4. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't seem to save anything to my desktop...when I drag it to the desktop or do file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't seem to save anything to my desktop...when I drag it to the desktop or do file...: I follow the advice on another thread on making the "save to computer" the default but when I wanted to choose a place i clicked on DESKTOP and a message came up "no moniker for desktop" When I right click a file to see the properties the location is always...
  6. Strange white rectangle appears on desktop, occasionally hides my desktop icons until I...

Strange white rectangle appears on desktop, occasionally hides my desktop icons until I...: This has been happening for at least a year, this weird white rectangle with a blue/gray gradient on the inside keeps appearing on my desktop. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens very often. There was one time where there were two of these rectangles and I could...
  7. Copies of files I save on my hard drive are appearing on my desktop...

Copies of files I save on my hard drive are appearing on my desktop...: Copies of files I save or create on my hard drive are appearing on my desktop automatically. I am having to manually delete them as they create clutter. Anyone dealt with this?...
  8. i cant get to my actual desktop after reseting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i cant get to my actual desktop after reseting: I tried to reset my pc yesterday but it said there was an error and put me on a blue screen and not able to get onto my pc . There was no system recovery made before I reset the pc so it wasn't an option, ive tried most things but they don't work. I think I might have...
  9. Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it?: I've tried several utilities that purport to save your desktop layout and restore it when something gets messed up. They all SAVE the layout (or seem to). The problem I have is that none of them successfully RESTORE a saved layout when you need it. Indeed, trying to use...
  10. 2 files appeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    2 files appeared on my desktop: Hey guys, so i rebooted my computer today and these 2 files appeared on my desktop. They don't have any given name or location, and when I delete them, they come back if I refresh my screen. [img] Oh, and by the way, every time I right click on them, only 3 things...