Windows 10: When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...

Discus and support When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or this green bar comes up, appearing to be a search in progress... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Windows Is Great, May 11, 2020.

1. When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...

When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs... 196b812a-73bf-42ee-97a5-9aa6780ff7b6?upload=true.png When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or this green bar comes up, appearing to be a search in progress but will just hang on this 'almost finished' percentage forever. Why?

:)

Windows Is Great, May 11, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, May 11, 2020
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, May 11, 2020
  4. When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, May 11, 2020
Thema:

When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...

1. When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs... - Similar Threads - search document File

2. Windows 11 not finding any of my documents with file explorer search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not finding any of my documents with file explorer search?: Hello,I have all my documents at c:\documents - my documents points to this folder. Search used to work at that location as that is one of the first changes I make - had been working for about 6 months.I can search other folders for files and they work. I could probably move...
  3. Windows 11 not finding any of my documents with file explorer search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not finding any of my documents with file explorer search?: Hello,I have all my documents at c:\documents - my documents points to this folder. Search used to work at that location as that is one of the first changes I make - had been working for about 6 months.I can search other folders for files and they work.I've furn sfc and...
  4. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  5. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  6. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents: This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying. When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my Dropbox folder, Explorer will hang and I have to "End task" from task manager. However, if I open Word/Excel/Powerpoint and...
  8. File explorer hangs when I select a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when I select a folder: submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/
  9. File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents

File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents: I have had this problem before, but it went away on its own and now it has reappeared again. Any excel or word document in my folders cannot be interacted with. I cannot even delete them, when I press on them with right click, try to move them anywhere or try to open them...
  10. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there: When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See the video below for...