Windows 10: When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop.

Discus and support When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Microsoft sent a push notification on my laptop that said I needed to sign in to my outlook or I couldn't use my account. It said it would drop me in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kitt_katt, May 17, 2020.

1. kitt_katt Win User

When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop.

Microsoft sent a push notification on my laptop that said I needed to sign in to my outlook or I couldn't use my account. It said it would drop me in a public account until I did so, but what it actually did was just switch all my personal user files with the public use files and won't switch back. How can I access my account again? That's three whole years of stuff that windows has shoved away.

:)

kitt_katt, May 17, 2020

2. Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10)

Upon login to Windows 10 using my username (the only one on the machine), it has now started bringing up the 'public' desktop instead of my 'user' desktop. I have no idea how to get my desktop folder to show back up as the desktop. I figured out that
    it was now displaying the contents of the public user folder because my anti-virus updated and put an icon/shortcut on the desktop. It was the only icon on this desktop. When I looked to see where the shortcut was located, it showed "C:\Users\Public\Desktop". Prior
    to this I thought maybe it was in tablet mode like the forums suggest. Not the case here. Any thoughts on how I can get MY desktop back instead of the public one?

DougAlberts, May 17, 2020
  3. From public desktop to user desktop

Basically I turned on onedrive auto sync just now and all my files on desktop are in the directory of onedrive.

After I stopped the auto sync, it went back to public desktop (as the directory of an application showed) and there were many icons missing.

Could someone tell me how to restore my desktop or at least go back to the user desktop instead of staying in the public desktop?

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Edwardlooooo, May 17, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop.

Moving desktop from different user account

At the risk of confusing you even further - you have a FOURTH Desktop in C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Actually this is a good thing and would seem to be what you are looking for. Every user has their own private Desktop, you cannot merge these. However, what you see in your Desktop is more than just what's in your own Desktop. All users see a Desktop that is a combination of their private one and the Public one. Apps that install a shortcut on the Desktop often do so in the Public Desktop so that all users see it.

Any folders or documents you put in the Public Desktop are available to all users. So I suggest you create a folder or two on the Public Desktop then each user can move their private files/folders from their own Desktop into these folders on the Public one. Then there will be just one copy in one central place and accessible to all users. If you do this, remember to include the Public Desktop in any backup regime you use.

The One Drive Desktop is presumably there for syncing that particular user's private Desktop across their other devices.

Thema:

1. When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop. - Similar Threads - sign public user

2. My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  3. My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  4. My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  5. My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  6. What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?: I accidentally deleted C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini. What are the contents of this file on Windows 11 Pro?Note that I am asking about the file in C:\Users\Public and not in C:\Users\<UserName>....
  7. What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?

What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?: I accidentally deleted C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini. What are the contents of this file on Windows 11 Pro?Note that I am asking about the file in C:\Users\Public and not in C:\Users\<UserName>....
  8. switch Public Desktopto user desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    switch Public Desktopto user desktop: In my work computer I have no permission to delete shortcuts on Public Deskop. Is there anyway to switch from public(default) desktop to user desktop. OR hiding the public desktop shortcuts without permission? submitted by /u/mardar572 [link] [comments]...
  9. Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10): So, I couldn't respond to this original post, as it was too old and locked, but I wanted to share this with others...in the case that it happens to anyone else. My issue, although seemingly the same, actually had nothing to do with the Microsoft OneDrive, but rather that I...
  10. From public desktop to user desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    From public desktop to user desktop: Basically I turned on onedrive auto sync just now and all my files on desktop are in the directory of onedrive. After I stopped the auto sync, it went back to public desktop (as the directory of an application showed) and there were many icons missing. Could someone tell...