Windows 10: When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...

Discus and support When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon associated with the website - it just gives me the Win EDGE logo.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BHansman, May 5, 2023.

1. BHansman Win User

When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...

When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon associated with the website - it just gives me the Win EDGE logo.

:)

BHansman, May 5, 2023

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 5, 2023
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, May 5, 2023
  4. When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, May 5, 2023
Thema:

When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...

1. When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon... - Similar Threads - try create shortcut

2. When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon...: When I try to create a shortcut for a website, I get the shortcut but not the icon associated with the website - it just gives me the Win EDGE logo....
  3. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  4. Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.: Create a desktop shortcut to websites with Edge as follows: 1. %windir%\explorer.exe microsoft-edge:website path 2. Specify the website icon. But the icon of "Explorer" in Task Manager becomes the icon of the website....
  5. Whenever I try to create a shortcut from epic games launcher or steam I just get an icon...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whenever I try to create a shortcut from epic games launcher or steam I just get an icon...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Leo9991 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/imf19y/whenever_i_try_to_create_a_shortcut_from_epic/
  6. Can't create website shortcut.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't create website shortcut.: As the title says, I can't create a shortcut to a web site, mine actually. I can create one for other sites, but not for mine. Why is that? 151732
  7. Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop: Windows 10. Chrome browser. Can't seem to add website shortcut to the desktop. Search said to left click the icon to the left of the website address & pull it to the desktop, but left-clicking doesn't "grab" the icon....
  8. Create Website Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Website Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Website Shortcut in Windows How to Create Website Shortcut in Windows This tutorial will show you different ways to create a website shortcut that will open in a web browser of your choice in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. CONTENTS: Option...
  9. Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge: When using any version of IE Explorer, when viewing a webpage and want to create a desktop shortcut to that webpage I would simply right click just about anywhere on the webpage and select Create Desktop Shortcut from the drop-down Menu and Presto a new icon shortcut would...
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome: How to: Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome How to Create a Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome default web browser. This tutorial will show you how to create a desktop shortcut of a website from within Google Chrome in Windows 7, Windows 8,...