Windows 10: "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked

Discus and support "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; With the 2004 update, it would seem that Windows sees the device Surface Pro 5 as not having a keyboard attached while docked. It uses the "When I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robert Rutherfoord, Aug 17, 2020.

1. "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked

With the 2004 update, it would seem that Windows sees the device Surface Pro 5 as not having a keyboard attached while docked. It uses the "When I'm not using tablet mode" settings in the Tablet Settings menu while docked. Thus, the icons and menus are more spread out. When I attach the type-cover, the menus and icons have their regular spacing, but not while docked and the dock has a usb keyboard. I'm guessing this isn't the intended behavior.

-Robert R.

:)

Robert Rutherfoord, Aug 17, 2020

2. Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro going into Tablet mode when docked

When I dock my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro (with the keyboard attached) it for some reason is going into tablet mode instead of laptop mode. Any ideas why? My tablet mode setting is set to "Don't ask me and always switch".

RahulKapoor, Aug 17, 2020
  3. jimtut Win User
    Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode

I have a Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Dock hooked to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and a keyboard & mouse.

When I close the type cover on the Surface, it automatically activates Tablet Mode. Now, I know I can change the behavior to make Windows 10 ask me what to before switching modes, but until I switched to using a dock and external monitor, I've never needed/wanted Windows 10 to ask me! It always "did the right thing" with the Surface, correctly responding to the type cover be attached, detached, or folded back.

How can I tell Windows 10 or the Surface to NOT activate tablet mode when the type cover is closed?

Thanks,
    Jim

jimtut, Aug 17, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

"When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked

Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

"When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked

1. "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked - Similar Threads - I'm using tablet

2. How to disable tablet mode in Windows 11 Surface Pro 8 while docked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable tablet mode in Windows 11 Surface Pro 8 while docked?: I recently got a Surface Pro 8 for work. I'm using it with a Surface Dock 2 with an external keyboard and mouse. In this configuration, there is no reason to keep the Surface Pro Type Cover attached to the computer. It's just taking up desk space for no reason. I would like...
  3. How to disable tablet mode in Windows 11 Surface Pro 8 while docked?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable tablet mode in Windows 11 Surface Pro 8 while docked?: I recently got a Surface Pro 8 for work. I'm using it with a Surface Dock 2 with an external keyboard and mouse. In this configuration, there is no reason to keep the Surface Pro Type Cover attached to the computer. It's just taking up desk space for no reason. I would like...
  4. Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem: I have a USB-C dock that works fine on one of my Surface Pro 7's, however not on my second one. I have 2 external monitors hooked up to the dock 1 through HDMI, 1 through DisplayPort. Both monitors will go black randomly for a few seconds not at the same time, then come back...
  5. Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem: I have a USB-C dock that works fine on one of my Surface Pro 7's, however not on my second one. I have 2 external monitors hooked up to the dock 1 through HDMI, 1 through DisplayPort. Both monitors will go black randomly for a few seconds not at the same time, then come back...
  6. My Surface 3 will not display the background picture while in tablet mode.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Surface 3 will not display the background picture while in tablet mode.: My Surface 3 will not display the background picture while in tablet mode. I have tried turning the Transparency setting in Personalization > Colors on/off and it does nothing. I get the app tiles on a gray background. If I switch to desktop mode, the background displays as...
  7. Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it: My Surface is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes and then hibernate after 60 when on battery (and never hibernate when plugged in). I typically don't manually shut down when I'm done with it, I usually just close the cover and leave it to manage itself so that it wakes up...
  8. Tablet screen keyboard while not in tablet mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tablet screen keyboard while not in tablet mode: I have an HP Envy X360. Until recently I could turn on the tablet on-screen keyboard while it was functioning as a laptop. This was really useful as I have arm injuries and sometimes I can barely type. The swipe function was great. Since I did a fresh install of windows this...
  9. surface pro dock and chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    surface pro dock and chrome: no sound from the surface pro dock when using Google Chrome. all my other applications work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-dock-and-chrome/037fb1d1-66c3-4ca9-ad78-a271fb2f8e9c
  10. Surface Pro 3 resets with Bugcrash when going to sleep while in Dock

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 3 resets with Bugcrash when going to sleep while in Dock: Hi all, Event Viewer has this at the time of the issues The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xffffd907989b3060, 0xffffb481bf4b3960, 0xffffd9079ad25010). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...