Windows 10: When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named

Discus and support When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I will need to reinstall Windows 11 one more time to fix the duplicate Users folders.Carmack recommends installing with the local user ID first.1 How... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by edspyhill01_844, Oct 15, 2022.

1. When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named

I will need to reinstall Windows 11 one more time to fix the duplicate Users folders.Carmack recommends installing with the local user ID first.1 How do I create the local account so the Users folder will be the same as if I installed using the Microsoft Account?Maybe more to the point, how does Windows name the Users folders under local UID and under Microsoft Account UID?Ed

:)

edspyhill01_844, Oct 15, 2022

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Oct 15, 2022
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 15, 2022
  4. When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named

Mystery local user present with no account

Good afternoon Andre,

Thank you for your feedback, most appreciated. I tried both of your suggestions and the 1st5 user was not listed in either, just my original local user name was listed. I also tried to cut the 1st5 user folder from the C;/users listing and paste it to a
    thumb drive so I didn't loose it but I got this error code, 0x80070057, that prevents me from moving it saying the "parameter is incorrect". Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

R/Confused

Also when I got the error I mentioned above there was a Folder with a person's picture and MY local user name, not the 1st5 user name.

J.W. Sargent, Oct 15, 2022
Thema:

When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named

1. When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named - Similar Threads - installing using local

2. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  3. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  4. Windows 11 username is firstinitiallastname, user folder name is firstnameunderscore. When...

Windows 11 username is firstinitiallastname, user folder name is firstnameunderscore. When...: I was trying to navigate to my C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow folder by typing in the full path including the variable, but it pops up an error stating:File ExplorerWindows can't find 'C:Users\firstinitiallastname\AppData\LocalLow' Check the spelling and try again.It...
  5. Windows 11 username is firstinitiallastname, user folder name is firstnameunderscore. When...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 username is firstinitiallastname, user folder name is firstnameunderscore. When...: I was trying to navigate to my C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow folder by typing in the full path including the variable, but it pops up an error stating:File ExplorerWindows can't find 'C:Users\firstinitiallastname\AppData\LocalLow' Check the spelling and try again.It...
  6. When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named

When installing Windows 11 using a local ID, how is User folder named: I will need to reinstall Windows 11 one more time to fix the duplicate Users folders.Carmack recommends installing with the local user ID first.1 How do I create the local account so the Users folder will be the same as if I installed using the Microsoft Account?Maybe more to...
  7. Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!: I just installed Windows 11 on a fresh install after installing various apps I noticed that my User folder name has decided to chose part of my real name which I never use!.I chose Daz as a login name but Windows thought it would name my folder darre which is obviously not my...
  8. Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!

Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!: I just installed Windows 11 on a fresh install after installing various apps I noticed that my User folder name has decided to chose part of my real name which I never use!.I chose Daz as a login name but Windows thought it would name my folder darre which is obviously not my...
  9. change name of "local user"

in Windows 10 Customization
    change name of "local user": On my laptop windows 10 I am called "local user" how can I change this to my name? I know it's petty but I hate it! simple directions pretty please :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-local-user/d800757d-ee90-454b-9c52-5af36779d1cd
  10. How to change User folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change User folder name: Hi there. I made a stupid mistake when installing windows for the first time and i signed in with my email. Now my user folder name are the first letters of my email...Its a stupid name and due to limited characters its not even full. So, is there a way to change the name....