Windows 10: When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable?

Discus and support When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My simple question is this: Will Windows Color Management ever get updated and thorough documentation? I've been using various forms of Windows for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Doug Bowker, Aug 4, 2019.

1. When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable?

My simple question is this: Will Windows Color Management ever get updated and thorough documentation? I've been using various forms of Windows for over 20 years and for 3D animation and video editing ever since NT 4. You will not find too many people that will promote and defend Windows as a platform of choice for content creation more than I will. However: There is one major area in particular that has been not just neglected, but practically hidden from users ability to effectively access it and that is Color Management. Obviously I know how to "access" it but the complete lack of useful, relevant documentation means that one might as well just pretend it doesn't exist at all. At this point, I kind of take the Windows Color system as a neutral unknown and just work within the areas that at least have some helpful guidance (Adobe's color management for example, or even at the graphics card level). Beyond that, though it's clear that there is actually a "Color System" in place, the number of variables it presents makes it impossible to know where to even start.

What's more disappointing than no official guidance or documentation? That this attitude even extends to these forums! How is it that when "Color Management" is typed into the Search box that 50 pages come up and every single thread has been locked? A thread older than a couple of years I can see, but that's not what this is. In almost every single case these questions get one answer only, the vast majority of which point the user to articles featuring Windows Vista or Windows 7? Really?

How could this possible considered helpful in any way at all? It doesn't allow other users to add to the questions, nor allow anyone to try and answer them either. Surely there are users with a great deal of experience who might be able to offer some tips and advice towards this overall topic? Is that not the purpose of having open public forums for such questions? I've never seen any other topic that is treated this way. I can't imagine if every question regarding networking got locked after one generic answer was applied (and used an outdated OS as reference!), can you?

:)

Doug Bowker, Aug 4, 2019

2. When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable?

My simple question is this: Will Windows Color Management ever get updated and thorough documentation? I've been using various forms of Windows for over 20 years and for 3D animation and video editing ever since NT 4. You will not find
    too many people that will promote and defend Windows as a platform of choice for content creation more than I will. However: There is one major area in particular that has been not just neglected, but practically hidden from users ability to effectively
    access it
    and that is Color Management. Obviously I know how to "access" it but the complete lack of useful, relevant documentation means that one might as well just pretend it doesn't exist at all. At this point, I kind of take the Windows Color system
    as a neutral unknown and just work within the areas that at least have some helpful guidance (Adobe's color management for example, or even at the graphics card level). Beyond that,
    though it's clear that there is actually a "Color System" in place, the number of variables it presents makes it impossible to know where to even start.

What's more disappointing than no official guidance or documentation?
    That this attitude even extends to these forums! How is it that when "Color Management" is typed into the Search box that
    50 pages come up and every single thread has been locked? A thread older than a couple of years I can see, but that's not what this is. In almost every single case these questions get
    one answer only, the vast majority of which point the user to articles featuring Windows Vista or Windows 7?
    Really?

How could this possible considered helpful in any way at all? It doesn't allow other users to add to the questions, nor allow anyone to try and answer them either. Surely there are users with a great deal of experience who might be able to offer some tips and
    advice towards this overall topic? Is that not the purpose of having open public forums for such questions? I've never seen any other topic that is treated this way. I can't imagine if every question regarding networking got locked after one generic answer
    was applied (and used an outdated OS as reference!), can you?

Doug Bowker, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Color Management Windows 10

Hi Kendall,

For us to isolate your concern with Color Management, we would like to know the following:

• Are you using an administrator access?
    • Have you tried creating a new user profile to replicate the issue?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Send us a screenshot of the Advanced tab in Color Management.

For more information, the best way to get the color profile you need is to visit your monitor manufacturer's support website and download the latest driver for the device.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 29, 2019
  4. flycaster Win User

When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable?

Getting Color Management onto the taskbar and...?

Hey Edwin, thanks, but let me make sure I got this all right. It seems that only Color Management can be pinned to the task bar...Right? Whereas, the website can only be pinned to the Jump List, and not to the taskbar...Right? If so, good enough as this will still reduce the number of steps needed to change my monitor's color settings.

flycaster, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable?

1. When is MS going to make Color Management actually manageable? - Similar Threads - going Color Management

2. Color managed desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Color managed desktop: Do you think that this new pathetic Windoze eleven will finally have fully color managed desktop enviroment? Or they have budget only for new icons, rounded UI elements and centered start menu? Increasing number of people are buying wide color gamut monitors with or without...
  3. Color management

in Windows 10 Customization
    Color management: when i open my setting from start menu and try to change color setting their are some of the color option missing from the menu, the dark and light settings and all the rest of the setting down to were it says choose a color are gone this is after a reinstall of windows 10...
  4. Color management

Color management: It's 2021 and Windows desktop is still not color managed !!! How long do you think it will take before it's finally implemented? More and more people can afford to buy wide color gamut monitors with HDR but Windows acts like there is no problem !!!As a result everything is...
  5. Color Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Color Management: color management; my printer will copy a colored page but the colored pages in the applications print only black and white. How to I set my color management back to color? The provision for setting it to color small tick box is even absent from the sending it back setup...
  6. Color management Themes

Color management Themes: What happened to my color management theme in this last Winddows 10 update? After update I cannot get themes to respond to any action https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-management-themes/ebdf0f82-bb0d-447a-9e42-f57e847cc1d6
  7. Color Management

Color Management: Good day, I am running the latest version of Win 10 Ver. 1909 and am experiencing problem with Color Management. I recalibrated both monitors - main one a Dell UP2716D and second monitor a DellP2471H, and now suddenly the colors viewed using Microsoft programs are way off -...
  8. color management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    color management: I asked this question a few days ago and cannot find the response (sorry) I have a laptop monitor and I have a slave monitor so I can see my photos in a larger format. They do not seem to be syncing screen color density. Any ideas for adjustment? Felicia...
  9. Color Management

Color Management: I have an NVidia GTX 1070 graphics card and have two 4K displays and the 3rd video output connected to a video capture card. The color profile for the monitors is created from calibration. The 3rd display (capture card) does not show an ICC profile. What happens when I play a...
  10. Color Management

Color Management: I have an NVidia GTX 1070 graphics card and have two 4K displays and the 3rd video output connected to a video capture card. The color profile for the monitors is created from calibration. The 3rd display (capture card) does not show an ICC profile. What happens when I play a...