Windows 10: When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1

Discus and support When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, i just want to know the deadline for upgrading from Windows 7 or 8. 57249 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Josbeph, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Josbeph Win User

When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1

Hi, i just want to know the deadline for upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.

:)

Josbeph, Jul 23, 2016
  2. [nevets] Win User

Free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10

Does the 29 July deadline for Windows 10 upgrades apply when upgrading from Windows 8.1? I remember that the deadline was only for Windows 7 upgrades, but I cannot find mention of that now.

[nevets], Jul 23, 2016
  3. la55nomad Win User
    No reboot after Windows 10 update

1a 8/24/2011\

1b Came with Win7 installed; upgraded to Win 10 July 2016

1c I don't know, but I assume not, since I upgraded just before the free upgrade deadline.

2a DNA

3 Trend Micro Maximum Security; Windows firewall

4 No

5 Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1198

6 Yes

7 Yes to both

8 No

la55nomad, Jul 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no deadline for upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10. If you want it for FREE, then you have to upgrade before July 29th.

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does that account for timezone differences and daylight savings time? I want to wait to upgrade my last computer to Windows 10 until the last 2 minutes. ;-). Just kidding!

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2016
  7. Phone Man Win User
    The clock just showed 5 days and 15 hours and it is right at 2PM CDT so the update expires at 5AM on July 30 CDT.
    Glad I did all my upgrades already as this is getting confusing.

Jim *Banghead

Phone Man, Jul 23, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yeah, but you KNOW there are going to be those people that wait until only minutes are showing on the clock. You know, "to wait until Microsoft has the bugs worked out of Windows 10."

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    I've tried to get localized countdown timers but apparently that page exists only on MS USA. The page gives the same time on each time zone, in my CEST it counts down to noon on Saturday 30th of July. That would be 10 AM UTC.

That, 10 AM UTC means that whole world has switched to Saturday; in inhabited areas of the world, the two time zones that are most behind UTC time are Aleutian Islands and Hawaii, both UTC -10, time zones in inhabited areas being (counting eastwards) from the two mentioned UTC - 10 zones to UTC +14 used in Kirimati Island. UTC -11 is not used at all, UTC -12 is called International Date Line.

Based on above, this being just my educated guess, I would say that it looks like MS has decided that the free upgrade offer continues in whole world as long as even the tiniest part of it still has Friday 29th. For me it's noon on Saturday, for a New Yorker 6 AM on Saturday, for Windows 10 team in Redmond 3 AM on Saturday, for our fellow geeks in Wellington New Zealand 10 PM on Saturday.

When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1 [​IMG]
    Tip A totally unimportant and trivial tip:

Trying to check if this countdown could be found localized, I checked using Microsoft's logical system to localize URLs. You can always check if a certain MS page exists in your language, for your location by simply changing the language and region in URL.

See the URL for the free upgrade offer countdown, I've highlighted the LANGUAGE-REGION part:
    Code: Microsoft - Official Home Pageen-us/windows/?wa=wsignin1.0[/quote]
    That page seems to exist only in language English for region US. You can test on other Microsoft and Windows sites. Go for instance to Microsoft – virallinen kotisivu, that takes you to MS Finnish site, Finnish for Finland. Now change the fi-fi part in URL to en-gb to get MS site in UK, to en-au to get English site from MS Australia, or try fr-ca which gives you MS Canada's French site.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    We can always count on Kari to do the experiments for us!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1 - Similar Threads - deadline upgrading Win7

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Window 10 upgrade from 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10 upgrade from 8: Can I upgrade direct from 8 to 10 I have tried updating to 8.1 but it is continually failing attached is a copy of my specs on this laptop Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-upgrade-from-8/b95452fa-dbf9-4d06-bcbe-60d52335c15a
  6. upgrading to Windows 10 from 8

upgrading to Windows 10 from 8: Hello, So I finally upgraded my dads windows 8 laptop to windows 10 because he's a stubborn old man who wouldnt do it when it was free.. That windows 8 version had face recognition password that he used to log in and cant remember the password he used to create that log...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 8 to 10p

in Windows 10 Customization
    Upgrade from Windows 8 to 10p: Dear all, I am wondering if i can upgrade from windows 8 to Windows 10 and keep all my software and files and folders with no change. Thx in advance....
  8. Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key: Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a while and thought id post this one to hopefully clear this question up. We all know that if you have a win7/8 installation, then its just a matter of upgrading it when the final release lands by using the little windows app next...
  9. Upgrading from Windows "8" ?

Upgrading from Windows "8" ?: Can you get the free upgrade to Windows 10 from the original Windows 8? Or is it only 7 and 8.1? 26006
  10. Upgrade from 8 worked

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from 8 worked: Got a clients PC with 8.0 on it. Decided to see how upgrade to 10 would work. Used the upgrade tool on the MS site. Upgraded and activated. For Free. Anyone know why???*Rolleyes Pete P.S. Not complaining, hade done many while the free offer was still around. This one...