Windows 10: when is the desktop not the desktop

Discus and support when is the desktop not the desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; apparently when one moves the folder - which I did to the D drive by changing the Location. The desktop under THIS PC works fine. The one under Quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ruggb, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ruggb Win User

when is the desktop not the desktop

apparently when one moves the folder - which I did to the D drive by changing the Location.
    The desktop under THIS PC works fine. The one under Quick access does not.
    If I chg the location back to C drive it again works. Chg again to D and it does not work.

Sounds like a bug to me. The other folders under Quick access have also been moved and they work - Downloads, Documents & Pictures.

anyone else see this, or is it just my systems. It does it on my desktop and both laptops.

:)

ruggb, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows update error (0x80070422)

desktop-ltdglo7, Aug 3, 2015
  3. rennø Win User
    When English is not the display language, Windows 10 should still understand English search queries!

Hi folks,

What I want to propose is that Windows' search bar also responds to English queries, even when the computer has installed a different display language. Two situations where this would be helpful:

1. Imagine that you borrow my computer. You want to open the Control Panel and type 'Control Panel' in the search bar. No hits are found, because I installed the Windows language package Dutch, and in Dutch, the Control Panel is called Configuratiescherm.
    Windows 10 relies pretty much on the search bar, so it is difficult to change settings by clicking the right symbols or familiar looking words. Why doesn't it know both Configuratiescherm and Control Panel? Also in internet cafés this would be helpful!

2. I'm learning Danish as a foreign language, so in order to create as much 'exposure' to Danish as possible, I changed the display language from Dutch to Danish. My passive skills are enormous (I can understand everything I read, no matter how technical),
    but my active vocabulary is limited. I don't know the words for control panel, properties, devices, wireless connections, mouse, devices, etc. If I want to remove a programme, I always need to remember which specific Danish word is used in computer jargon.
    Instead of plaguing me with endless (ok, that's exagerrated) quests through online dictionaries, couldn't you simply learn computers English as well?

I know that I can change the whole system's display language to English, but that's so much effort for such a little feature that I ask for. Besides, I'd need to remember how to get to the right setting menu first ;-)

English is the international language for computers, so why not ease communication by making them understand English as well? This is not only useful for me & my grandparents (who can only email), but could also be of use to Microsoft as a company!

There are many more issues with multilingualism and computers, but those are stories for another time*. Hope this input will improve Windows!

*Like: Why does Google only find Danish Wikipedia results, never Dutch ones for me? They know that I want to go to Iceland for the next holidays, but they still have to learn that I speak Dutch and have lived in the Netherlands
    for 20+ years?

rennø, Aug 3, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Yes, this happens on my system, too. If I move Desktop, it will not correct the location of the folder under Frequent Folders, but it will correct the location of my downloads folder.

5. YOU
    You Win User
    I suppose that the only way to fix this is to unpin the invalid Desktop folder and then go to This PC and pin the Desktop folder there.

Thema:

1. when is the desktop not the desktop - Similar Threads - desktop desktop

2. Windows open in different virtual desktops dissapearing and reappearing in single desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows open in different virtual desktops dissapearing and reappearing in single desktop: Hi,I am using:ThinkBook 16p G2 ACHwith:OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 ProVersion 10.0.22631 Build 22631I am:1. Open several virtual desktops.2. Use WSL2 to open linux GUIs and place them in each desktop.3. Use some key combination/action that I haven't identified yet.I see:1....
  3. Windows open in different virtual desktops dissapearing and reappearing in single desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows open in different virtual desktops dissapearing and reappearing in single desktop: Hi,I am using:ThinkBook 16p G2 ACHwith:OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 ProVersion 10.0.22631 Build 22631I am:1. Open several virtual desktops.2. Use WSL2 to open linux GUIs and place them in each desktop.3. Use some key combination/action that I haven't identified yet.I see:1....
  4. After pressing WINDOWS + G, there's no Desktop Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After pressing WINDOWS + G, there's no Desktop Audio: HiI have window 10.When I press the WINDOWS + G buttons to recover my desktop, there is no sound recording from the computer, only what's being said on the headphone microphone externally. How do I record both the Display & Audio that's happening on the desktop?Thanks...
  5. After pressing WINDOWS + G, there's no Desktop Audio

After pressing WINDOWS + G, there's no Desktop Audio: HiI have window 10.When I press the WINDOWS + G buttons to recover my desktop, there is no sound recording from the computer, only what's being said on the headphone microphone externally. How do I record both the Display & Audio that's happening on the desktop?Thanks...
  6. After pressing WINDOWS + G, there's no Desktop Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different: Hello, I was watching a movie on netflix when my computer crashed and went to a black screen. After a few moments it turned back on but now everything is slightly more zoomed in icons are bigger, cursor too I also have notifications when the Caps are on which I didn't have...
  8. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different: Hello, I was watching a movie on netflix when my computer crashed and went to a black screen. After a few moments it turned back on but now everything is slightly more zoomed in icons are bigger, cursor too I also have notifications when the Caps are on which I didn't have...
  9. Laptop glitched and now desktop features are different

10. How to stop rearranging of desktop elements - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop rearranging of desktop elements - Windows 11: Currently, if create a new folder e.g. on the desktop, the moment I name it, it flies over to the left edge into random locations. If anything is already there, everything gets shoved out of the way and rearranged. Previous iterations of Windows 11 did not do this. Windows 10...