Windows 10: When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone

Discus and support When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; whenever a microphone is in use on my computer, everything goes silent except for whichever program is using the microphone. Discovered this when in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LiamWalker1, Aug 18, 2020.

1. When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone

whenever a microphone is in use on my computer, everything goes silent except for whichever program is using the microphone. Discovered this when in a discord call i could hear nothing except others who were speaking in the same call as me. When in call, the test audio button in the sound control panel also seemed to work, although nothing else did. The headphones also appear twice in the playback section, and only one of them works with the test audio button. Does anybody know of this issue or a way to fix it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

LiamWalker1, Aug 18, 2020

2. Headset/Microphone background reduction; suggestions

There's a solution to this out there, but I cannot pinpoint the right search terminology to get accurate results.

When I speak into my microphone, whatever sound is being sent into my headphones, is also directly sent to the microphone and outputted upon transmit.

This means that it's not a case of the sound coming out of the headphones, then travelling to the microphone, it's actually going straight to the microphone instead.

All I've come up with so far, is a suggestion to mute the microphone input via Windows. Though that seems to render the microphone useless.

newconroer, Aug 18, 2020
  3. Wasabi202 Win User
    Microphone too quiet

I'm recording my microphone with Audacity if that's what you are asking, but the overall volume of my microphone is low, it's not my recording program's fault

Wasabi202, Aug 18, 2020
  4. DocBatman Win User

When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone

Need Cheap Microphone Amp

Just ordered up some Sennheiser PC350s and have read a number of reviews saying that a microphone amp is recommended. Any suggestions? Thanks.

DocBatman, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone

1. When microphone in use, everything goes silent except program using microphone - Similar Threads - microphone everything goes

2. Hollow audio when using microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hollow audio when using microphone: I recently got a new Pc on windows 11 and when I have my microphone in built on my headphones turned on with any audio that's going on like if I'm playing a game then the audio starts to sound really hollow and fuzzy I tried looking at ways to fix it and turned off sound...
  3. Hollow audio when using microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hollow audio when using microphone: I recently got a new Pc on windows 11 and when I have my microphone in built on my headphones turned on with any audio that's going on like if I'm playing a game then the audio starts to sound really hollow and fuzzy I tried looking at ways to fix it and turned off sound...
  4. USB microphone too silent

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB microphone too silent: we need a boost option for our USB microphones.this is my third USB microphone and still, people complain I'm too silent. if I check the volumes of the USB microphone recording, it's silly silent, it's almost useless. Windows10 needs a boost option for our USB microphones....
  5. My camera and microphone are in use by another program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My camera and microphone are in use by another program?: The what? No they’re not! Tried using zoom today and got this message regardless of the browser. How do I discern what is using them? Please let me know what additional information is required to help. Thanks gals ‘n’ guys submitted by /u/Johnnymi25 [link] [comments]...
  6. Microphone goes super quiet when playing games and using discord.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone goes super quiet when playing games and using discord.: I don't know if this is a Microsoft problem but I figured really smart people could help. Problem I am having. I have Discord Open as [Administrator] and able to talk normally and my friends are able to fully hear me, as soon as I open Rainbow Six Siege my Microphone will...
  7. No Audio When Microphone Is In Use

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Audio When Microphone Is In Use: Hi, I've recently built my new PC and installed Windows 10 Education since its offered free to me as a college student. I've had no problems with it so far except for an issue where when the microphone is in use (as in when there is a microphone icon in the bottom right...
  8. Granting Permission for a program to use microphone and camera

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Granting Permission for a program to use microphone and camera: Hi I log onto a virtual desktop for work, and when asked if I wanted the program to have access to my mic and camera, I said no and ticked the box to say not to ask me again. Now I have to let the program have access, and I don't know how to reset the message. Any...
  9. Usb microphone too silent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb microphone too silent: So i have a Razer microphone called Razer Seiren X. It is a USB mic and for me it is to quiet. It is already on max volume but i can´t see the bass boost option. Is there a way to fix this without having a program in the background to make the mic louder?...
  10. Unable to use microphone when using Skype

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to use microphone when using Skype: I am unable to use my microphone whilst using Skype. Camera works fine but as soon as the microphone is plugged in the computer freezes and I have to turn off the power to reboot computer. We have used Skype before on the desktop soon after upgrading to Windows 10 with no...