Windows 10: When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

Discus and support When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My account is passwordless, logins except my computer are by MS Authenticator ; how to change my computer login from PIN to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sunny PA Wong, Jan 26, 2023.

1. When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

My account is passwordless, logins except my computer are by MS Authenticator ; how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator?https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-go-passwordless-with-your-microsoft-account-674ce301-3574-4387-a93d-916751764c43

:)

Sunny PA Wong, Jan 26, 2023

2. How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

The "passwordless" option for personal Microsoft accounts was made available several months ago. I suspect, or at least wonder if, there is an issue within the flow of the Authenticator app that affects the process of trying to login to the app with an account that is (1) configured as a passwordless account and (2) requires two-step verification.

The good news is I realized that I could access all of my account's security settings from my PC (verified with Windows Hello) and from there I turned off the "passwordless account" and "two-step verification" features. Then I was able to successfully log into the Authenticator app again. Crisis averted.

Craig Stewart, Jan 26, 2023
  3. Passwordless Sign-in for MS account

On my desktop running Win10, 22H2, OS build 19045.2364 I'm the admin of the local account with no user accts.

While I was reading one of Shawn's excellent tutorial's:
    Enable or Disable Passwordless Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10,
    I was hoping to find where to disable Passwordless Sign-in for MS accounts.

I have it enabled because the sign-in screen into my Microsoft account lists "other sign-in options" (or something to those words). I also verified in the registry and netplwiz that its enabled.

When selecting other sign-in options, a security key that I set up, first of all, disappeared all by itself recently. The security key is only one of two sign-in options for Passwordless sign-in that I ever set up. The other option was a Windows Hello PIN which I had up until this year but its no longer an option after I removed it myself.

So where the problem comes in is after the authentication option using a security key is re-added, it ends up disappearing after about 24 hours later. When that happens, it leaves zero Passwordless Sign-in options to use (Windows Hello PIN was removed by myself in June). But Passwordless Sign-In will still remain enabled even though I can't sign-in Passwordless with any options. I'm left with signing in by using 2-step verification processes that I've had.

Perhaps this is grasping at straws. I was thinking if there's a switch to disable Passwordless Sign-in to Microsoft Accounts that's turned off first, maybe then the security key can successfully be re-added permanently.

Jaguwaar20, Jan 26, 2023
  4. When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured
    for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths (and their security implications) through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security
    documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (without two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (with two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas E. Davis, Jan 26, 2023
Thema:

When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

1. When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator... - Similar Threads - account passwordless change

2. Outlook 2016 - “Passwordless Authentication “

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook 2016 - “Passwordless Authentication “: I have Office /Outlook 2016 - I prefer using “Passwordless Authentication “ over 2FA but was having a problem with outlook constantly prompting for Outlook Password. I have read that 2016 is enabled by default but somewhere along the line it must have gotten flipped because...
  3. Outlook 2016 - “Passwordless Authentication “

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook 2016 - “Passwordless Authentication “: I have Office /Outlook 2016 - I prefer using “Passwordless Authentication “ over 2FA but was having a problem with outlook constantly prompting for Outlook Password. I have read that 2016 is enabled by default but somewhere along the line it must have gotten flipped because...
  4. Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt: I am passwordless with Microsoft, I suddenly received a Microsoft authentication request and denied it as I wasn't logging in. Activity shows attempt from IP out of San Jose other side of the country from me. When I click secure my account I am told no worry as they didn't...
  5. Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt: I am passwordless with Microsoft, I suddenly received a Microsoft authentication request and denied it as I wasn't logging in. Activity shows attempt from IP out of San Jose other side of the country from me. When I click secure my account I am told no worry as they didn't...
  6. For Administrator Account, how to login Windows 10 Computer passwordless?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    For Administrator Account, how to login Windows 10 Computer passwordless?: My account is administrator type for my computer and security is set passwordless.Login scenariosLogin Require MS AuthenticatorQuestionWeb if not preceded by Outlook Desktop loginMS AuthenticatorWeb if preceded by Outlook Desktop loginNoComputer LoginNo; PINHow to login by MS...
  7. When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...: My account is passwordless, logins except my computer are by MS Authenticator ; how to change my computer login from PIN to...
  8. When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When my account is passwordless, how to change my computer login from PIN to Authenticator...: My account is passwordless, logins except my computer are by MS Authenticator ; how to change my computer login from PIN to...
  9. Outlook account and MS Authenticator - Disable Passwordless?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Outlook account and MS Authenticator - Disable Passwordless?: I was testing my Outlook email account with MS Authenticator app and when I enter my Username in the Outlook.com page, after that, I get a notification to Deny or Approve the sign in request. This is all great. But I do need to have the option to enter my password as well...
  10. change my login pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    change my login pin.: My login PIN has possibly been compromised. For security\ty sake id like to change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-login-pin/4fe8d44a-42ff-455c-9419-584b8a31cb28