Windows 10: When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

Discus and support When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay, so my External HDD is broken. Badly. I'm just gonna list the things I've noticed and the things I've done to try and fix it, so that hopefully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelTronnolone, Dec 17, 2019.

1. When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

Okay, so my External HDD is broken. Badly. I'm just gonna list the things I've noticed and the things I've done to try and fix it, so that hopefully you can give me guidance on more things to try.

• If the drive is plugged in when the computer boots, the computer hangs on the brand logo. I am unable to boot into BIOS in this instance. If I unplug the drive, the computer loads normally.
    • If I plug the drive in, all my USB devices fail for around 5 seconds.
    • Trying to access the drive normally crashes Windows Explorer.
    • Trying to access the drive through any other program (e.g. make Steam download a game to the drive) crashes the program.
    • Trying to run diagnostics crashes the diagnostics tool (I've tried a few).
    • Disk Management hangs when locating drives.
    • A third party data recovery tool I tried could not locate the drive.

I can't format this drive. There's irreplaceable data on it, and I couldn't bring myself to do that. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot. :)

:)

MichaelTronnolone, Dec 17, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • If the USB3 HDD is connected to a USB2 port, the mouse works normally.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Dec 17, 2019
  4. When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

1. When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot. - Similar Threads - external HDD plugged

2. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  3. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  4. My external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  5. My external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  6. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.: My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's loading all the services and programs. This is only on a cold boot also. There is no external programm on the HDD just files...
  7. SSD refuses to boot on Windows 10, when plugged in to my Mac is says it is hibernated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD refuses to boot on Windows 10, when plugged in to my Mac is says it is hibernated: [ATTACH] Hi, I was using my desktop today normally and I stepped away from my desk for an hour or so and when I came back there was a message that my computer was unable to find a bootable device to start the system. I tried reinstalling Windows, but my SSD doesn't show...
  8. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  9. External HDD does not show in My Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD does not show in My Computer: Hi all, I am facing a problem in one of my external HDD. This HDD was installed in one of my desktops and was giving troubles. So I took it out and installed in an external case so retrieve the data. The hard disk is detected by the computer but it does not show up in...
  10. Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362. 476) I've got an external drive where I keep many of my private files. I have shortcuts to them on the desktop. No system files are on it. If the drive is plugged in, the computer won't start. It will start only if that drive is unplugged....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wd elementos 10a8 stops working in windows 10