Windows 10: When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

Discus and support When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi... I have been experiencing this issue for a few years on my w10 home 64bit install (I have the latest update applicable to the date of this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Peter Mosser, Jul 21, 2019.

1. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

Hi...

I have been experiencing this issue for a few years on my w10 home 64bit install

(I have the latest update applicable to the date of this post)

Its main use is as a multimedia PC, so it really hasnt been a problem,

but its beginning to annoy me.

If i let the PC go to sleep - the last program i used will be running when the PC wakes up.

This is despite the program being closed before the PC goes to sleep.

It also does not matter if the program is "installed" like chrome or gimp,

or if the program is a portable one (i.e. just runs from an executable and does not need installation ( so it wont be in the registry) )

this also only happens if the PC goes to sleep due to inactivity - if i manually send it to sleep,

it wakes up without any programs running

hoping someone can help....

cheers,

:)

Peter Mosser, Jul 21, 2019

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Jul 21, 2019
  4. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

1. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts - Similar Threads - wakes sleep last

2. BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep: Hello,Since a few weeks i'm running into the issue of my pc having a blue screen when I wake it up from sleep, this is pretty irritating since the pc always has to restart after waking up and it takes long. I'm not a tech guy so I would really appreciate if someone can help...
  3. BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep: Hello,Since a few weeks i'm running into the issue of my pc having a blue screen when I wake it up from sleep, this is pretty irritating since the pc always has to restart after waking up and it takes long. I'm not a tech guy so I would really appreciate if someone can help...
  4. Films & TV app starts when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Films & TV app starts when waking from sleep: The Microsoft Films & TV app aka Movies & TV for Windows starts spontaneously fullscreen, on the Purchased tab when waking my machine from sleep. I have checked startup apps, the registry and rebooted several times.What may be going on?Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621...
  5. Films & TV app starts when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Films & TV app starts when waking from sleep: The Microsoft Films & TV app aka Movies & TV for Windows starts spontaneously fullscreen, on the Purchased tab when waking my machine from sleep. I have checked startup apps, the registry and rebooted several times.What may be going on?Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621...
  6. BSODS When Waking PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODS When Waking PC from Sleep: Hello,TL:DR Newly built PC BSODs every few days after waking, have tried almost everything.I will do my best to explain everything here in detail.I ordered all the parts and built the PC about 2 months ago.Specs:The specsRyzen 5600xAsus B550-F wifi32GB Hyper X Fury DDR4...
  7. Pc waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc waking from sleep: So, I have this problem where my pc immediately wakes itself up from sleep. I have done everything like powercfg, power management to disable wake up but nothing works. Powercfg lastwake shows type: fixed feature and source: power button. But, I'm sure it's not happening...
  8. BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep

BSOD when PC wakes up from sleep: Hi guys, so my PC has always been doing this. 1 in 3 or 4 wake up form sleep the PC will restart itself, and creating the dmp below. I have tried everything. From memory test, reinatalling GPU drivers, using old drivers, even doing a restart function with Windows, which kept...
  9. PC is slow after sleep wake up, but fine when i start to use programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC is slow after sleep wake up, but fine when i start to use programs: Hello, recently Ive been having sleep problems with my pc, a good amount of blue screens under 9f 3. after trying to solve my driver problems i guess i was able to reduce blue screens by a great amount. My only problem now is that when my pc goes to sleep or if i put it to...
  10. BSOD when waking from sleep mode and randomly when starting PC

BSOD when waking from sleep mode and randomly when starting PC: (PS when I tried to post this once it didn't show up so if it's like a moderator has to see this and this was submitted twice, really sorry!!) Hello all, my PC is crashing when it wakes up from sleep mode lately. I know it is a driver for sure, I've been told it's a driver...