Windows 10: When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

Discus and support When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi... I have been experiencing this issue for a few years on my w10 home 64bit install (I have the latest update applicable to the date of this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Peter Mosser, Jul 21, 2019.

1. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

Hi...

I have been experiencing this issue for a few years on my w10 home 64bit install

(I have the latest update applicable to the date of this post)

Its main use is as a multimedia PC, so it really hasnt been a problem,

but its beginning to annoy me.

If i let the PC go to sleep - the last program i used will be running when the PC wakes up.

This is despite the program being closed before the PC goes to sleep.

It also does not matter if the program is "installed" like chrome or gimp,

or if the program is a portable one (i.e. just runs from an executable and does not need installation ( so it wont be in the registry) )

this also only happens if the PC goes to sleep due to inactivity - if i manually send it to sleep,

it wakes up without any programs running

hoping someone can help....

cheers,

:)

Peter Mosser, Jul 21, 2019

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Jul 21, 2019
  4. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

1. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts - Similar Threads - wakes sleep last

2. when my PC sleeps, it starts alone

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    when my PC sleeps, it starts alone: when my PC sleeps, it starts alone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-my-pc-sleeps-it-starts-alone/bada81ca-a97e-4be1-9363-079d48dcb23f
  3. BSOD when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when waking from sleep: Hi I have had this problem for some months now. While I can put the computer to sleep, each time I wake it up it causes a BSOD. I have followed many threads about this. some suggesting it is video driver problem. So I uninstalled and reinstalled my Nvidia driver but the...
  4. Waking pc from sleep with the mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waking pc from sleep with the mouse: Up until yesterday, if my pc was in sleep mode and I wanted to use it, I simply had to click the mouse and it would kick into life. That doesn't happen anymore and I can't seem to get the answer. I thought about doing a system restore but I discovered this morning that the...
  5. PC restarts when waking from sleep, error 0x0000010e

PC restarts when waking from sleep, error 0x0000010e: When I wake up my PC from sleep, it restarts, I see the bios splash screen and then have to log in again. According to bluescreenview it's caused by watchdog.sys. Seems to generate the exact same error codes each time. ZIP folder attached. I have reinstalled RAM, video...
  6. BSOD When Waking from Sleep

BSOD When Waking from Sleep: Just built a new computer. All of the drives and the Windows installation is the same as in the old system. I don't know if the issue would have occurred in the old system as I never tried to put my computer to sleep. I was getting one BSOD when waking from sleep (something...
  7. BSOD when waking from sleep mode and randomly when starting PC

BSOD when waking from sleep mode and randomly when starting PC: (PS when I tried to post this once it didn't show up so if it's like a moderator has to see this and this was submitted twice, really sorry!!) Hello all, my PC is crashing when it wakes up from sleep mode lately. I know it is a driver for sure, I've been told it's a driver...
  8. BSOD when waking from sleep

BSOD when waking from sleep: Greetings forum, Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I've been seeing BSODs about once a month when waking my desktop from sleep. I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter. I've never encountered this on Windows 8.1. I've attached the zip file as instructed...
  9. PC Won't Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Won't Wake From Sleep: Las two weeks, when I hit any key or mouse, PC will not wake from sleep shows black monitor but its green light is on. Have turn pc off and restart which starts without any problems. I 89834
  10. PC Goes Black When Waking from Sleep - Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Goes Black When Waking from Sleep - Help!: When my PC wakes up from sleep the monitor goes black. And most times when this happens the only thing visible is the last program I used. All other programs I cant access. Everything else is dark. How do I fix this? 68611