Windows 10: When opening desktop app it opens properties and i can't type and search

Discus and support When opening desktop app it opens properties and i can't type and search in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So after i entered windows 10 i tried to open an app but instead it opens properties and when I type is also doesn't work I tried plugging it on and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EmirIbana, Jul 26, 2020.

1. EmirIbana Win User

When opening desktop app it opens properties and i can't type and search

So after i entered windows 10 i tried to open an app but instead it opens properties and when I type is also doesn't work I tried plugging it on and off it doesn't work then I tried to reset and the problem was gone it was not the first time it happen but I really want to fix it

:)

EmirIbana, Jul 26, 2020
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

I Can't Open Some Things On My Search Bar!

Hi Mayr,

This issue can occur from corrupted system files and problems with Windows Search and Indexing.

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and see if the issue will persist:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
    • Type Control Panel.
    • Press Enter.
    • Click Troubleshooting.
    • Select System and Security
    • Right-click on Search and Indexing.
    • Click Run as Administrator.
    • Click Next.
    • Select the situation applicable to the issue.
    • Click Next.

If the issue still persists, restart Windows Search by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Click OK.
    • Locate and right-click on Windows Search.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that Startup type is set to Automatic.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    • Right-click Windows Search again.
    • Click Restart.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. When opening desktop app it opens properties and i can't type and search :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Louie Del Win User

When I ask cortana open desktop app, it instead will do web search on edge.

Hi Brendan,

Since you've performed some troubleshooting steps, we suggest to rebuild Cortana on your device. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Open an elevated Command Prompt by typing cmd in the
      Search
      box, then right-click and select Run as administrator.
    • Type powershell. This will launch the PowerShell as an administrator to execute the command properly.
    • Type the following command in the PowerShell console:

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Wait for about one minute.
    • Restart you device.

Let us know if your concern has been resolved.

Louie Del, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

1. When opening desktop app it opens properties and i can't type and search - Similar Threads - opening desktop app

2. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties: The icons on my desktop shortcuts are gone, leaving only the names. In the taskbar, they are replaced with what looks like a newspaper or website page icon. I cannot open the properties of anything and it applies in file explorer as well....
  3. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties: The icons on my desktop shortcuts are gone, leaving only the names. In the taskbar, they are replaced with what looks like a newspaper or website page icon. I cannot open the properties of anything and it applies in file explorer as well....
  4. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows search not working - search opens and when I type in a search windows goes black

windows search not working - search opens and when I type in a search windows goes black: search opens and when I type in a search windows goes black and then white as if searching then goes black again.I have tried turning search off and on and resetting indexing...
  6. Can't open prefetch or look at properties

Can't open prefetch or look at properties: My account is admin but I can't open anything and it says I'm not the administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-prefetch-or-look-at-properties/00669dee-2516-4544-be03-396e6d372293
  7. Can't open settings or type anything into search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings or type anything into search bar: Hello! I have a HUGEEEEEE problem because i can't use the search bar or the settings menu OR THE CONTROL PANEL, which i desperately need right now and if i can it just starts flickering like i'm vigorously scrolling down, i try to scroll up but it's just bottoming out by...
  8. Windows Search Opens When Typing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Opens When Typing: HelloI saw this question in locked threads but it is at least for me an open question since I have updated to 21H1.A PC with many version updates started to behave strange: when typing, be it in CMD, the browser or any other text field, Windows search opens. Sometimes after a...
  9. Can't open search bar apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open search bar apps: When I search an app through search bar it doesn't open any apps and it doesn't even show the icons and it just shows a black box. The weird thing is that I can open google chrome easily submitted by /u/big4hed92 [link] [comments]...
  10. Can't open action center, can't type in search bar

in Cortana
    Can't open action center, can't type in search bar: In the past few days i'm having a problem with opening action center or type in search bar. What happens is i click on the bar or the icon, but its immediately closes it self like i double click on it really fast. It's not the first time it happened, i had this problem like...