Windows 10: When PC is locked I cant always log back in... Cursor doesn't show

Discus and support When PC is locked I cant always log back in... Cursor doesn't show in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I leave my pc running most of the day and it locks either manually (windows key + L) or locks through screensaver. After 10 mins the screen is set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sean34, Mar 5, 2016.

1. sean34 Win User

When PC is locked I cant always log back in... Cursor doesn't show

I leave my pc running most of the day and it locks either manually (windows key + L) or locks through screensaver.

After 10 mins the screen is set to turn off.

sometimes when I move the mouse or tap the keyboard to wake the monitor it comes up with the logon screen but the password box is black rather than white which is ready to type in the password.

Nothing else works other than pressing the button on the pc to restart

Any ideas what this could be....

Its doing my head in as if i leave stuff open and restart i loose it all

:)

sean34, Mar 5, 2016

2. Cursor disappeared

My cursor has disappeared on the lock screen and i cant type the password and i cant log in please help

Gurchran singh, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Ericb819 Win User
    Trying to find a solution for the second monitor blacked when pc is locked!!

Actually it works normally when logged on to the computer's but when you lock/log off your PC the second monitor blacks out and shows no picture is showed but i wanted to know if theres a way to get the second monitor to show the lock screen background when
    locked!! My bad Sorry......

Ericb819, Mar 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Are you able to type anything into the password box even though it is black? Just hitting the Ctrl key will often put the cursor inside the password box so that you can type the password and then hit enter even though you can't see what you are doing.

As for fixing it the first thing to try would be a system file check - run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt.

philc43, Mar 5, 2016
  5. sean34 Win User
    I can't type anything into the password box. The cursor isn't there. Any keys and I have tried and pressed them all do nothing. However mouse and keyboard are functioning fine.

run sfc /scannow.... I went to CMD and then tried this but it said i needed to "be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility" I am an Administrator so not sure what this issue is.

sean34, Mar 6, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    If you right click on the start button you can see there are two command prompts, one is the Admin Command prompt - that is the one to use. also known as an elevated command prompt.

Sorry that the Ctrl key trick did not work, it has been known to work on other occasions.

philc43, Mar 6, 2016
  7. DannyL Win User
    Try pressing Control Alt Delete (all 3 together) when you are at the logon screen.
    This may bring enable the password entry field.

DannyL, Mar 6, 2016
  8. sean34 Win User

I ran the command prompt and it said it found no violations

sean34, Mar 6, 2016
  9. sean34 Win User
    I'm still having issues with this and it isn't going away. It doesn't occur all the time.

I also have a new issue where if another user logs in and then logs out it just hangs logging them out. The circle keeps spinning.

Again my only solution is to hard reset

sean34, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. When PC is locked I cant always log back in... Cursor doesn't show - Similar Threads - locked cant always

2. Locked screen always shows Singapore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locked screen always shows Singapore?: [ATTACH] I am curious if it is the case for you too. The locked screen of Wimdows10 shows some random pictures of places in the world. Recently, I have seen that the pictures I have since more than one month are always taken in Singapore, at various places in the city. Is...
  3. I cant log into my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant log into my pc: I have a Windows XP PC which I maintain as a hobby, after 3 months of not touching it I turned it on and typed my username and password and it said "The system could not log you on make sure username and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords...
  4. I cant log into my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant log into my pc: I have a Windows XP PC which I maintain as a hobby, after 3 months of not touching it I turned it on and typed my username and password and it said "The system could not log you on make sure username and domain are correct, then type your password again. letters in passwords...
  5. Cant log back into my computer

Cant log back into my computer: I reset my pc and now upon opening it asks me to log in. Inserting the password gives me this error and clicking forgot password it does the same thing but with a blue screen instead. Help is appreciated....
  6. How can I fix a black screen when the keyboard doesn't respond and doesn't show the cursor

How can I fix a black screen when the keyboard doesn't respond and doesn't show the cursor: This started when I forgot to close an app before I turned the laptop off now it’s unresponsive sometime overheats. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-a-black-screen-when-the-keyboard/ed7de14a-79e9-4093-bbf0-f86cdf16a966
  7. Locked out of pc and don’t know pin, but always logged in with password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of pc and don’t know pin, but always logged in with password: I did crtl alt del to lock computer. Now locked out and it’s asking for a pin I don’t know. Tried a combination of numbers but get locked out after two attempt and have to wait 48 hours. I can’t win....
  8. Locked out of pc and don’t know pin, but always logged in with password

Locked out of pc and don’t know pin, but always logged in with password: I did crtl alt del to lock computer. Now locked out and it’s asking for a pin I don’t know. Tried a combination of numbers but get locked out after two attempt and have to wait 48 hours. I can’t win....
  9. cursor doesn't show on internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cursor doesn't show on internet: My cursor does not show on the internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-doesnt-show-on-internet/3e2645a1-f246-41aa-9f96-5755efed986c
  10. Locked out of PC and won't connect to internet to log back in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of PC and won't connect to internet to log back in.: I was on my PC today, and randomly out of no where it went to a gray screen and said "signing out". Afterwards it said that my PC was locked by an administrator, and that I need to sign in with my administrator account. So I typed in my PIN and it told me I need to connect to...