Windows 10: When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything.

Discus and support When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, The problem. When I load up my pc I get a blank desktop with no icons, just the windows taskbar. When I click on the taskbar apps nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JoshuaDerbyshire, Feb 1, 2021.

1. When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything.

Hi,

The problem.

When I load up my pc I get a blank desktop with no icons, just the windows taskbar.

When I click on the taskbar apps nothing opens, if I try to open settings it doesn't open.

Basically, nothing opens. I cant go to Control + ALT + Delete.

If I keep resetting the pc or turning it off and on again, it might work 1/10 times.

I've installed all updates hoping this would fix it.

:)

JoshuaDerbyshire, Feb 1, 2021

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 1, 2021
  4. When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything.

opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything.

1. When PC loads no desktop Icons, can't open anything. - Similar Threads - loads desktop Icons

2. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  3. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  4. Pc won’t load anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc won’t load anything: Hi,I have a problem with my pc. When i start it up it works fine, i log in, i wait for it to load up, as soon as its loaded up, i press my brower, it opens, but doesnt load, it also doesnt work with programs, like games i play by example Apex, Minecraft, or Steam or Origin,...
  5. Pc won’t load anything

Pc won’t load anything: Hi,I have a problem with my pc. When i start it up it works fine, i log in, i wait for it to load up, as soon as its loaded up, i press my brower, it opens, but doesnt load, it also doesnt work with programs, like games i play by example Apex, Minecraft, or Steam or Origin,...
  6. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  7. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  8. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. PC won't load anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't load anything: Upon restart my desktop background and empty taskbar is the only thing on the screen, I can't open anything at all. Not task manager and the taskbar is frozen too, ive tried to run in safe mode, reset my entire drive but it say's an error has occurred so basically I can do...
  10. Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?: Greetings! So I have been having this PC problem for perhaps a week or so now? One time when I awoke from sleep, when I logged in today, and then sometimes when I am using my PC. So what happens is, randomly I cannot click on any desktop icons(left click and right click...