Windows 10: When program installs, desktop icon goes to wrong/secondary monitor

Discus and support When program installs, desktop icon goes to wrong/secondary monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a similar problem in 7, thought it was fixed in 10 but wasn't. Here's the situation. 1) I install a program, any program that leaves/makes a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SAL2014, Jul 14, 2017.

1. SAL2014 Win User

When program installs, desktop icon goes to wrong/secondary monitor

I had a similar problem in 7, thought it was fixed in 10 but wasn't.
    Here's the situation.
    1) I install a program, any program that leaves/makes a desktop icon. Sometimes this happens with Edge/other browser downloads that route to the desktop. Sometimes happens with other programs saving to the desktop.
    2) the icon appears in the top left corner of the secondary monitor. SInce I only use that monitor for watching TV, I don't see in on the primary monitor and wonder if something saved wrong. Opening the desktop folder reveals the icon.
    3) I turn on the TV, see the icon and drag it to primary monitor (or the trash if I don't want it).

Collalaries:
    A) Icons moved to the primary monitor tend to stay at the primary monitor, even after resolution changes.
    B) Icons put within Desktop Fences stay in their fence and don't leave.
    C) The taskbar/start menu appears on both monitors. Only the icons appear on the secondary monitor. Programs clicked on in the taskbar on the secondary monitor open in the primary monitor.

So yeah, it's a minor problem, but to make computer usage easier for friends/family/guests I'd like to solve this problem so they can find things they need quickly.

Anybody got a solution? I looked at a few searches on TenForums and didn't see anything related.

:)

SAL2014, Jul 14, 2017
  2. Xilibrius Win User

Desktop Vanishes When Logging In

When i log on to my computer my desktop will appear as normal but after a few moments the background, icons, and tool bar all vanish but the mouse icon is still there but this only occurs on my primary monitor, I can move the mouse over to my secondary
    monitor and use my start bar and Cortana without any issues. The black screen continues for upwards of a full minute before the desktop and all of the icons return. I dont think its display drivers or a video card issue since my secondary monitor's task bar
    still functions perfectly fine. and I can still see my mouse icon when i'm on the primary monitor its just everything else is gone.

Xilibrius, Jul 14, 2017
  3. [Windows 10] HDMI monitor becomes undetected and detected repeatedly if it's switched to other devices.

Everything works fine with Windows 7.

I have 3 monitors, 2 DVI and 1 HDMI and I use the HDMI one as my main monitor.

I also have a headphone "MDR-HW700DS" and it has a HDMI switcher(3-in/1-out).

My PC and my Xbox1 are connected to the HDMI input1 and input2 of the switcher.

After upgrading to Windows 10, My main monitor(HDMI) will goes off and on in 1 second but repeatedly about every 5 seconds when I switch to display the Xbox1.

Which means, my main monitor(HDMI) will be disappeared(undetected) from the display settings for 1 second and suddenly be detected and remains only about 5 seconds, then loop.

It's really annoying and I can't do any multi-task in this situation, because one of my secondary(DVI) monitors will blink every 5 seconds.

When the main monitor is undetected, all the desktop icons and active-windows on it will be pushed to my secondary monitor(it will become the main monitor automatically) and also causes it to blink(like the blink after you adjust your display settings).
    And my main(HDMI) monitor will be detected in 1 second(all the desktop icons and active-windows will go back to main monitor), so the secondary monitor will blink again and remain steady for only 5 seconds, then the main(HDMI) monitor will be undetected again
    and looping.

This never happened when I was using Windows 7.

RickyTheBird, Jul 14, 2017
Thema:

When program installs, desktop icon goes to wrong/secondary monitor

1. When program installs, desktop icon goes to wrong/secondary monitor - Similar Threads - program installs desktop

2. Program crashes when launched on secondary monitor with onboard graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program crashes when launched on secondary monitor with onboard graphics: Please help me before i do bad things to my computer!When i start a program on my secondary monitor this monitor is driven with onboard graphics they crash or behave weird. For example, when i start fusion 360 on this monitor it just wont start and stops working, when i...
  3. Program crashes when launched on secondary monitor with onboard graphics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program crashes when launched on secondary monitor with onboard graphics: Please help me before i do bad things to my computer!When i start a program on my secondary monitor this monitor is driven with onboard graphics they crash or behave weird. For example, when i start fusion 360 on this monitor it just wont start and stops working, when i...
  4. Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor: I am using windows 10 and dual monitors. How can I have all system icons e.g., clock, notification center, etc on my secondary monitor? It used to be possible but now I can't choose where to have the icons or move them manually....
  5. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop: Love the new multiple desktop feature, I currently have 8 different desktops going now. However, the one major annoyance I have is switching between them. When I hit the win + tab key to bring up the list of desktops and click on another desktop to switch, often I'll go to a...
  6. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop: Love the new multiple desktop feature, I currently have 8 different desktops going now. However, the one major annoyance I have is switching between them. When I hit the win + tab key to bring up the list of desktops and click on another desktop to switch, often I'll go to a...
  7. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

8. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  9. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  10. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...