Windows 10: When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot...

Discus and support When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I bought a cyberpower gaming pc a few months back and it worked perfectly for the first couple months. But now when starting my pc I get a black screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by orothe, Nov 24, 2019.

1. orothe Win User

When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot...

I bought a cyberpower gaming pc a few months back and it worked perfectly for the first couple months. But now when starting my pc I get a black screen that says Reboot and select proper Boot device. I am unable to fix this issue so the only option I have is to reinstall windows 10. I created a usb with windows from my laptop, but about 3/4 through the installation when it is finishing up. I get an error message saying it is unable to change boot configuration. Obviously I can not get into windows so I can not update anything. Is my gaming PC dead, and will I have to get rid of it. I cannot reinstall windows because of that issue and dont know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Owen.

:)

orothe, Nov 24, 2019
  2. gygabite Win User

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Unable to install a game on Windows 10.

Hello Garrett,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you are unable to install the game on your computer.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you the administrator of the user profile?
    • What is the error message/error code you get on trying to install the game on computer?
    • Did you check if the game is compatible with the current operating system?

You may be facing the above issue due to the incompatibility of the game software with the current operating system on your computer.

I suggest you to install the game software in Compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Before installing the game in compatibility mode, i suggest you to delete all the game related files present in the system and proceed with the steps below.

Step 1: Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

• Locate and right-click on the game setup file on your PC and click on
      Properties.
    • Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for
      , select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer for the effective changes to take place.

Step 2: You can also follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

c. Check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 24, 2019
  4. When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot...

Unable to make a “Operating system boot mode change”

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Are you trying to re-install Windows on the PC?
    2. Have you made the changes to boot the PC using a USB?
    3. Did you create an installation media to install Windows?
    4. When you say, “the PC is broken”, are you unable to boot to the desktop?

If you are trying to re-install Windows on the PC then please refer the article

How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide

Note: Reinstalling Windows will remove all the applications installed on the PC, also it is advised to take a backup of data before re-installing Wnidows.

However, if you are trying to change the boot order to boot the PC using another hard drive then you can refer the article

HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

In addition, if you are facing issues while booting the PC you can refer the article

HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems
    resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot...

1. When reinstalling windows on my gaming pc, I get an error that says unable to change boot... - Similar Threads - reinstalling gaming error

2. i get bsod when i boot my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i get bsod when i boot my pc: today when i was playing i got bsod page_fault_in_nonpaged_areathen whenever i boot up my pc i get this bsodwhenever i press enter i get more errors like thisand when ipress f8 my pc freezes and shutsdownim not sure what to do now...
  3. i get bsod when i boot my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i get bsod when i boot my pc: today when i was playing i got bsod page_fault_in_nonpaged_areathen whenever i boot up my pc i get this bsodwhenever i press enter i get more errors like thisand when ipress f8 my pc freezes and shutsdownim not sure what to do now...
  4. i get bsod when i boot my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I m getting bad error in my system and unable to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I m getting bad error in my system and unable to boot: My system is not booting up showing error bcd 0xc000098 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-m-getting-bad-error-in-my-system-and-unable-to/e44c12e0-e51f-4d1b-baac-5cd51e1933a5
  6. I m getting bad error in my system and unable to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I m getting bad error in my system and unable to boot: My system is not booting up showing error bcd 0xc000098 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-m-getting-bad-error-in-my-system-and-unable-to/e44c12e0-e51f-4d1b-baac-5cd51e1933a5
  7. i get this error and i’ve tried everything and when i try to reset my pc it says “there was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i get this error and i’ve tried everything and when i try to reset my pc it says “there was...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gleiru [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l54wod/i_get_this_error_and_ive_tried_everything_and/
  8. I keep getting these errors when I boot in to windows

I keep getting these errors when I boot in to windows: submitted by /u/beneyehawk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kr5ry0/i_keep_getting_these_errors_when_i_boot_in_to/
  9. Getting this error when I try to play a Kholat Game on PC.

Getting this error when I try to play a Kholat Game on PC.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/soumyadeep980 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhdbjm/getting_this_error_when_i_try_to_play_a_kholat/
  10. Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device: I have already attempted multiple fixes and keep finding new errors that send me into rabbit holes. - I have made a USB bootable drive for Windows 10 and run the automatic repair on the drive it returns an error code 00xc0000098 - I then attempted to restore the MBR with...