Windows 10: When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

Discus and support When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ZivL, Apr 7, 2022.

1. ZivL Win User

When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10 license.If this isn't the case should I install the OS on my new SSD via an external drive?

:)

ZivL, Apr 7, 2022

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Apr 7, 2022
  3. Reserve Windows 10 for new SSD on same machine

Hi, I would buy an SSD which will either replace my HDD or be added to my laptop (in a caddy that would replace the CD reader).

Could I install my free Windows 10 version on the new SSD and keep my Windows 8.1 as dual boot? Suggestions on how to do this?

By the way, I already reserved my Windows 10 version on my HDD's Windows 8.1.

GuillaumeChevalier, Apr 7, 2022
  4. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

transfer windows to new ssd drive

I know all the hard ways to buy a new drive and jury rig my windows 10 to the new drive, etc... But what is the official way, the Microsoft way to take everything on DRIVEC OLD and move it to the new and faster DRIVEC NEW? I've used disk mirroring software
    and then windows recovery for it to be made bootable but there has to be a clean way, yes?

Microsoft must understand that SSD drives need to be replaced after so many writes and this does not mean I want a new virgin start over!

Thanks in advance....

BillAgreste, Apr 7, 2022
Thema:

When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

1. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - replacing old SSD

2. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  3. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  4. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?: Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10 license.If this isn't the case should I install the OS on my new SSD via an external drive?...
  6. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?: Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10 license.If this isn't the case should I install the OS on my new SSD via an external drive?...
  7. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  8. Considerations when buying new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Considerations when buying new SSD: What considerations do I need to know when shopping around for a new SSD? I received a desktop from my wife this past Christmas that has SSD storage, my first SSD device ever. Decided recently to start getting a little smart about SSD's as I realized if the SSD died, or I...
  9. I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.: I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one; is it better to have a clean start on the new PC, or use a back up of the old one? Both are the same brand. I tried to do a "clean up" using specific software; however, I do not think it has removed the old stuff and I do no want...
  10. Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10: Presently, I am in a possession of Fujitsu Lifebook T4310 Tablet PC, which I purchased in 2010. Microsoft has notified that they will discontinue with Windows 7 from January 2020. So I have been told to upgrade to a new Laptop which has windows 10. I would like to upgrade...