Windows 10: When restarting pc all programs/windows still remain open, how to stop

Discus and support When restarting pc all programs/windows still remain open, how to stop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I shut down my pc using the 'Shutdown' button in the start menu, but when I restart the pc the next day all my windows and programs I had open when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by silverz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. silverz Win User

When restarting pc all programs/windows still remain open, how to stop

I shut down my pc using the 'Shutdown' button in the start menu, but when I restart the pc the next day all my windows and programs I had open when I shut the pc down are still open.
    How do I stop this? When I restart the pc I want a fresh clean boot, not a restoration of my last session.

:)

silverz, Feb 28, 2018

2. Windows 10 Restart Issues

When restarting the computer especially after hibernate, Windows show a file Program Manager open and stopping the reboot. This file cannot be found and is not manually opened. How is this corrected?

ShinseiInstitute, Feb 28, 2018
  3. MB5656 Win User
    ShellExperienceHost Suspended

Microsoft
    You know this program shellexperiencehost.exe basically runs all the taskbar, including start where you can open it up, search, and the notification center. When it is suspended or stops completely. You can't open any programs that are UWP apps (desktop
    programs still open but edge and other windows 10 apps don't open including settings app) you can't check the wifi, battery, and or volume. And the notifications never open when this one .exe is not responding or stops and kills it's self.

I have had this happen so many times and there is no restart option like on explorer.exe

Micr needs to fix this. Infact it is happening right now.

MB5656, Feb 28, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 28, 2018
  5. silverz Win User
    silverz, Feb 28, 2018
  6. silverz Win User
    Actually, it's a 23 page thread with a bunch of different suggestions and solutions that has a time investment not worth the mild inconvenience it may or may not remedy.
    Anybody got a quick tldr? eg untick an option in a menu somewhere?

silverz, Feb 28, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Feel free to research this on the forum further for more recent threads....

dalchina, Feb 28, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Certainly @silverz, as the originator of the thread I know the key posts to point you to.

This auto restart is by design in 1709. but It wasn't publicised, so took a lot of people by surprise.

The first key post in that thread is post #256, where an Insider build is shown with the ability to turn off this feature. This will be in the Spring Creators Update (1803) when it's released in April.

When restarting pc all programs/windows still remain open, how to stop [​IMG]

To turn it off you should turn off:
    Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10

Microsoft must have got a lot of bad feedback on this feature, because they have taken the unusual step of changing a feature in a cumulative update. From Fall Creators Update (1709) build 16299.214 the 'use sign-in info...' toggle switch now turns of this feature.

From post # 258

Bree, Mar 1, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    That's easy to remedy. First, make sure you have the 'use my sign-in info...' toggle turned on. Next, open IE and open a few tabs at various random pages. Now Restart and IE will not only reopen, it will reopen those pages too.

Not all apps restart, Edge and other modern windows app don't. Wordpad, Task Manager and MS Office do. Chrome does and Firefox doesn't.

An app has to register for this restart service, and not all have been written to take advantage of it. The ability for an app to be restarted when Windows boots was first introduced in Vista.
    Application Recovery and Restart (Windows)

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. When restarting pc all programs/windows still remain open, how to stop - Similar Threads - restarting programs still

2. When opening Windows Explorer the program always stops

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When opening Windows Explorer the program always stops: Starting Explorer in any way crashes the program. The icons on the taskbar disappear and then reappear. The screen may briefly go black. Event log contains this entry:Foutbucket 2097148617704684506, type 4Naam van gebeurtenis: APPCRASHAntwoord: Niet beschikbaarId van...
  3. PC stops taking input but still runs programs

PC stops taking input but still runs programs: Hey everyone!Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.Every now and then normally around once or twice a day give or take my PC will essentially freeze and accept no input. I will be in discord and I can still chat with my friends both ways, listen or watch whatever...
  4. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  5. how to stop the auto restart when lid is opened

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to stop the auto restart when lid is opened: how to stop the auto restart when lid is opened .. Lenovo ideapad slim 3II have purchased the lenovo idea pad slim 3i laptop yesterday . Here after shutting down the laptop and we close the lid . After sometime if we try to open the lid of laptop it restarts automatically....
  6. Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart

Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart: This issue seems to have been happening to me ever since the new Windows 10 update from a couple months back. I'm currently on Version 1903 with OS Build 18362.418. I cannot find a direct correlation to when it starts happening, but eventually, a number of programs will...
  7. Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?: hi folks, Sometimes I probably reatart windows 10 without shutting down some programs like outlook, or my browser, only to find that when I restart these programs also autmatically run again. Is there a way to stop this? Many thanks, joe 117191
  8. Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?: hi folks, Sometimes I probably reatart windows 10 without shutting down some programs like outlook, or my browser, only to find that when I restart these programs also autmatically run again. Is there a way to stop this? Many thanks, joe 117191
  9. Windows is caching all programs open on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows is caching all programs open on shutdown/restart: Hi, I can't seem to find anything on the topic that I am having problems with so please bear with me. On my old machine during restarts my computer would close all apps and services that were not part of startup, an example is having chrome browser open at the time of...
  10. Program stops responding, have to restart PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program stops responding, have to restart PC: Hi guys I encountered a problem multiple times now on Win10. The issue is that sometimes a game will stop responding, the real problem is that by then i can not alt+tab. The window keeps overlapping everything else, so i have to restart my PC everytime it happens. Have...