Windows 10: When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off?

Discus and support When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to know when should I keep my computer on, if I should put it in sleep, or turn it off. I always turn of my PC when I am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RyanKosowski, Dec 3, 2018.

1. When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off?

Hello,

I would like to know when should I keep my computer on, if I should put it in sleep, or turn it off. I always turn of my PC when I am not using it, and I want to know if that is correct. I do not want to damage anything, so I am looking for help. I have read that keeping it on sleep all the time is bad for it, so I want a good answer. Also, is turning a PC off and on in a row multiple times bad for it?

Thanks.

:)

RyanKosowski, Dec 3, 2018
  2. _JP_ Win User

Computer Randomly Turns on From Sleep

I only saw this thread now, otherwise I would have suggested this sooner.
    I had that same problem you are having, my computer was waking-up from S3 and the culprit was my X7 mouse.
    powercfg -lastwake also listed the HID keyboard device which was an extension of the mouse.
    Besides going in device manager and setting everything to not being able to wake-up the computer from S3, I also did this to the power profiles:

When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off? nousbwakeup.jpg

Worked for me.

_JP_, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Jomel Ber Win User
    Computer turns itself on

Hi Dustin,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to turn off the fast startup:

• Right-click the Start menu, then select Control Panel.
    • Change the view from Category to Large icons.
    • Select Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    • Click Save changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jomel Ber, Dec 3, 2018
  4. When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off?

WiFi refuses to turn on

Hello,

A quick question before we proceed:

Is your computer airplane mode is turn on?

I suggest you to go to the follow the below step and check if you’re able to toggle the Airplane mode:

• Go to settings and click on Network & Internet.

• Go to airplane mode and toggle.

I also suggest you to check if the function key for Wi-Fi works or not. Kindly
    Refer to your computer manual to check which function key do so.

Reply with the necessary information to help you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off?

1. When should I keep my computer on, and when should I turn it off? - Similar Threads - should keep computer

2. When should i upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When should i upgrade?: would like some insight please: I am currently in the process of saving up towards some new parts, such as an rtx 3060 ti, a ryzen 7 2800x processor, and a new higher wattage psu. will this benefit my gaming or computer speed overall? for reference my current parts are: the...
  3. When should i upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When should i upgrade?: would like some insight please: I am currently in the process of saving up towards some new parts, such as an rtx 3060 ti, a ryzen 7 2800x processor, and a new higher wattage psu. will this benefit my gaming or computer speed overall? for reference my current parts are: the...
  4. When should i upgrade?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Should I Turn Off CSM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I Turn Off CSM?: Hello! I Was Recently Thinking About Windows 11 & I Was Searching In My BIOS For Secure Boot, Turns Out That You Have To TURN OFF CSM First In Order To Do That! I've Read A Few Other Posts Saying That Their Mouse & Keyboard Stopped Working After Turning Off CSM & Enabling...
  6. Should I Turn Off CSM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I Turn Off CSM?: Hello! I Was Recently Thinking About Windows 11 & I Was Searching In My BIOS For Secure Boot, Turns Out That You Have To TURN OFF CSM First In Order To Do That! I've Read A Few Other Posts Saying That Their Mouse & Keyboard Stopped Working After Turning Off CSM & Enabling...
  7. Should I Turn Off CSM?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Should I turn the lights off when using night light mode or should I leave them on?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Should I turn the lights off when using night light mode or should I leave them on?: Just as the subject suggested https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-turn-the-lights-off-when-using-night/c773c056-7cc1-4b30-b897-6e531c4fb99b
  9. What should I do when Windows 10 does not turn off?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What should I do when Windows 10 does not turn off?: My Windows 10 is up to date with latest updates. I clicked on "Shut Down" and the monitor turned off but the computer continues to run. I clicked on Ctrl>Alt>Delete and got no response. What should I do now?...
  10. Should I turn off Windows Firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I turn off Windows Firewall?: Hey, Just got this firewall "Glasswire" and was wondering if I should turn off Windows 10 Firewall while I'm using it? I'm just not sure if Glasswire gives me as much protection as the Windows one give me. -Thanks! 19741

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i turn my modem off at night