Windows 10: When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open...

Discus and support When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I use Task View and multiple desktops. When I open e.g, File Explorer on one virtual desktop and I click File Explorer on the taskbar again on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AaronMT, Mar 2, 2020.

1. When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open...

I use Task View and multiple desktops. When I open e.g, File Explorer on one virtual desktop and I click File Explorer on the taskbar again on a different virtual desktop. It opens a new instance. When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to the virtual desktop with open windows of the application? Surprisingly MacOS has this option in Mission Control "When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application".

Edit: Wow I had no idea you can right click running applications in Task View and there it is "Show this window on all desktops".

Solved!

submitted by /u/AaronMT
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AaronMT, Mar 2, 2020

2. Windows 10 switching desktops (bug)

• Press 'Windows' key. It opens the 'Start' menu.
    • Switch to any other desktop than current desktop using 'Ctrl' + 'Windows' + '->' (or '<-')
    • Press escape ( to get rid of 'start' menu)
    When I am taken back to the old desktop ( from where I switched to the new desktop).

Is this a bug ? Sometimes while switching desktops, I accidentally press the windows key which reproduces this issue and it is irritating.

Preet Sai Mutneja, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Move Applications Between Virtual Desktops

Thank you for the reply Nyima Yonten. My concern is not about switching between application windows, but moving them between multiple desktops. By the way, I am assuming that you meant Windows Key + Tab Key in the first step of your suggestion.

Weird Odd Wodd, Mar 2, 2020
  4. jur4sic Win User

When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open...

No application focused after switching desktop

Hi Night Hawk, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I was clear enough on the issue. I am absolutely aware that when switching desktops the inactive one should be suspended and shouldn't get any focus whatsoever. The problem is that when switching back to the inactive desktop, focus is not restored.

So, for example I'm writing this forum post here and while I'm at it I want to go and put a new song on Youtube, which is running on another desktop. I do WinKey + Ctrl + Right Arrow, change the song, do WinKey + Ctrl + Left Arrow to get back to the forum post, start typing and - nothing. It is not focused, so I need to do another Alt + Tab just to focus back on the browser window to start typing.

As a developer I intend to use this feature a lot, because of so many apps running at the same time. If I have to do Alt + Tab every single time I switch desktop, the feature is not so good any more and I might need to stick to one desktop.

jur4sic, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open...

1. When switching to a running application, is there any way to switch to a desktop with open... - Similar Threads - switching running application

2. They finally restored the animation when switching desktops!!! Any way to make it faster?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    They finally restored the animation when switching desktops!!! Any way to make it faster?: Perhaps there's a registry entry? submitted by /u/MelaniaSexLife [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/17dxy0u/they_finally_restored_the_animation_when/
  3. Is there a way to bring back the desktop switching animation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to bring back the desktop switching animation?: Hi! I updated to Windows 11 a while ago, and there's something about it that has been bugging me for a while now. In Windows 10, you could use the shortcut Ctrl + Windows key + the arrow keys to switch between desktops. In Windows 11, you can still do this, but the animation...
  4. Is there a way to bring back the desktop switching animation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to bring back the desktop switching animation?: Hi! I updated to Windows 11 a while ago, and there's something about it that has been bugging me for a while now. In Windows 10, you could use the shortcut Ctrl + Windows key + the arrow keys to switch between desktops. In Windows 11, you can still do this, but the animation...
  5. Desktop switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop switch: I created a second desktop from the taskbar. In that desktop, trying to open certain applications such as Edge will automatically send me back to the first desktop instead and vice versa.Is it possible to open a same application in 2 different desktops? Else, is it possible...
  6. Desktop switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop switch: I created a second desktop from the taskbar. In that desktop, trying to open certain applications such as Edge will automatically send me back to the first desktop instead and vice versa.Is it possible to open a same application in 2 different desktops? Else, is it possible...
  7. 1000 CMD OPENING WHEN RUNNING ANY APPLICATION

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    1000 CMD OPENING WHEN RUNNING ANY APPLICATION: Hello,i am stucked at a problem where i run anything some or unlimited cmd's opens with the location of Documents folder or System 32.I think it's a virus but i have 3 antivirus installed but unfortunately that dosen't worked and also a notepad opened and has a commanbd like...
  8. Any way to switch one for the other?

Any way to switch one for the other?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/netocavalcanti [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i37jyn/any_way_to_switch_one_for_the_other/
  9. any way to make a clickable shortcut on the desktop to switch audio output?

any way to make a clickable shortcut on the desktop to switch audio output?: I have earphones, and monitor, I have to change audio output frequently, is there any way to create a convienient way for swithching this back and forward? submitted by /u/haha_supadupa [link] [comments]...
  10. No application focused after switching desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    No application focused after switching desktop: As the title says, after switching desktops, no application is focused. This is extremely annoying, because additional ALT+TAB is required just to start typing. I was excited about this feature and it looks really great, but this small bug makes it almost unusable for me. 21281