Windows 10: When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess...

Discus and support When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; To the Brilliant Software Engineers of Microsoft, I recently bought a newer refurbished PC (Optiplex 760 to 9020), and to further improve things I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jabber Yakker, Aug 4, 2019.

1. When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess...

To the Brilliant Software Engineers of Microsoft,

I recently bought a newer refurbished PC (Optiplex 760 to 9020), and to further improve things I bought a SSD and the units full capacity of RAM. I then applied a system image of my old PC, after stripping off the added programs and apps as installation .exe files on a flash drive, to the new PC on the SSD then updated Windows to the most recent version that my old PC wouldn't accept a full year ago, then applie the .exe files on the flash drive. A tad bit of work. It all, so far, seems to be working pretty good since the update re-tuned Windows 10 to match the new PC. Now that things were moving like it was supercharged instead of at a snails pace (I was spending more time waiting on my PC than I was working on it), I started checking out my new ware. First thing I discovered was that I had more RAM than the PC and the NVIDIA video card could possibly use combined. Whoops... Then after starting to educate myself on my new SSD on the vendors website, and discovered that SSDs actually do wear out. Not the unlimited lifetime that had been mentioned in previous years. And with the Image transfer that I made, my PC was caching on the SSD. Effectively shortening its longevity.

So after some deep thought, I began to wonder if I could not only turn off caching on the SSD. But also could I somehow use a high speed USB3 flash drive for caching like we used to in Windows 7 with Ready Boost like it was a disposable/replaceable portion of the SSD. OR, somehow shunt the caching operation of the SSD to the unused portion of RAM installed. Yes I've heard that caching is obsolete with a SSD, but if that is true, then why are we still caching so much data in the RAM when using a SSD? Not to mention, you never know until you try.

You may be operating at a higher speed with a SSD that is faster than caching with a HDD, but if you were caching at a higher speed, especially if the caching was self limiting so that it wouldn't overwhelm it self like with the HDD model. Why wouldn't that be even that much faster? Especially when the Cloud Platform fully kicks in, downloading super extended complex XML data sets at break neck speeds of a minimal of 200 Mbps? (just questionary food for thought)

SO, is there in any way form or fashion a way to do anything remotely similar to this? And if not, is there a way for me to change the settings so that I can extend the use of my SSD? And furthermore, if the previous is not yet possible, could it be a thought for future possibilities?

I'm really looking forward to hearing some positive reflection on this.

And Thank You Everyone in advance on this.

Humbly Yours

Jabber Yakker

:)

Jabber Yakker, Aug 4, 2019

2. When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess installed RAM?

To the Brilliant Software Engineers of Microsoft,

I recently bought a newer refurbished PC (Optiplex 760 to 9020), and to further improve things I bought a SSD and the units full capacity of RAM. I then applied a system image of my old PC, after stripping off the added programs and apps as installation
    .exe files on a flash drive, to the new PC on the SSD then updated Windows to the most recent version that my old PC wouldn't accept a full year ago, then applie the .exe files on the flash drive. A tad bit of work. It all, so far, seems to be working pretty
    good since the update re-tuned Windows 10 to match the new PC. Now that things were moving like it was supercharged instead of at a snails pace (I was spending more time waiting on my PC than I was working on it), I started checking out my new ware. First
    thing I discovered was that I had more RAM than the PC and the NVIDIA video card could possibly use combined. Whoops... Then after starting to educate myself on my new SSD on the vendors website, and discovered that SSDs actually do wear out. Not the unlimited
    lifetime that had been mentioned in previous years. And with the Image transfer that I made, my PC was caching on the SSD. Effectively shortening its longevity.

So after some deep thought, I began to wonder if I could not only turn off caching on the SSD. But also could I somehow use a high speed USB3 flash drive for caching like we used to in Windows 7 with Ready Boost like it was a disposable/replaceable portion
    of the SSD. OR, somehow shunt the caching operation of the SSD to the unused portion of RAM installed. Yes I've heard that caching is obsolete with a SSD, but if that is true, then why are we still caching so much data in the RAM when using a SSD? Not to mention,
    you never know until you try.

You may be operating at a higher speed with a SSD that is faster than caching with a HDD, but if you were caching at a higher speed, especially if the caching was self limiting so that it wouldn't overwhelm it self like with the HDD model. Why wouldn't
    that be even that much faster? Especially when the Cloud Platform fully kicks in, downloading super extended complex XML data sets at break neck speeds of a minimal of 200 Mbps? (just questionary food for thought)

SO, is there in any way form or fashion a way to do anything remotely similar to this? And if not, is there a way for me to change the settings so that I can extend the use of my SSD? And furthermore, if the previous is not yet possible, could it be a thought
    for future possibilities?

I'm really looking forward to hearing some positive reflection on this.

And Thank You Everyone in advance on this.

Humbly Yours

Jabber Yakker, Sep 29, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess installed RAM?

Hi Jabber Yakke

SSD drives these days do not wear out like the older SSD drives, the technology has moved on hugely over the last few years.

I have SSD drives that have been working full pelt for over 5 years and never had an issue or a failed drive

You can still set up a flash drive to use ReadyBoost in Windows 10, though that technology was actually a failure

Ideally on a system with an SSD the best method to prolong the life of the SSD and minimize read/write cycles is to also have a separate HDD for your data.

Then you just store your OS and main applications on the SSD and everything else on the HDD, this is the ideal and best possible set up, rather than caching to some other location . . .

DaveM121, Sep 29, 2019
  4. When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess...

Which SSD for Hard Drive Cache?

I have. Show some current evidence that the problem still exists such that all Samsung SSDs are "absolute crap".

True. But logic also dictates that unless specific requirements (including budgets) are made clear by the OP in the opening post, they should be open to other suggestions that were sincerely presented - suggestion that perhaps they had not considered. Instead of lashing out with puerile insults and tirades.

You are the one who keeps harping over this. I said once and only once that I would take the plunge on a 1TB SSD. I did not suggest it again - especially after you came with your little tirade. And it is you still having cows over something that was dropped.

In fact, I suggested a $36 Mushkin alternative which you totally ignored and then continued your little rant.

So good luck with your cache SSD.

Bill_Bright, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess...

1. When switching to a SSD, is there a way to shunt caching to a USB3 flash drive or excess... - Similar Threads - switching SSD shunt

2. Flash Desktop Name when switching desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Flash Desktop Name when switching desktops: Can MS enhance their Desktop naming feature to flash the desktop name when switching desktops Windows+Ctrl+Arrow ? It seems really strange to provide a feature to name the desktop but the only way to ever see that desktop name is to click on the desktop switching icon in the...
  3. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  4. Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?: Hey all! Sorry for another help post to flood this sub, with r/techsupport down I came here. I recently got this nifty usb flash drive from a friend for secret Santa. Windows says ~250GB of storage, which I am very skeptical of, especially due to how cheap it is on Amazon....
  5. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  6. Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3: My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate...
  7. SSD as external drives - USB3 connector -- M2 vs standard 2.5 inch

SSD as external drives - USB3 connector -- M2 vs standard 2.5 inch: @jimbo: plenty of options for M.2 based non-NVMe SSDs but you're right about the native NVMe devices (like the Samsung 950, 960, and so forth devices). I've played with so much of this hardware, I frankly forgot that the native NVMe solution, when you don't have an NVMe slot...
  8. Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?

Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?: My uncle has an old system i built 9 years back, instead of going for a new build he/we decided to buy 2nd hand upgrades e.g. we upgraded from 2Gb (2x1) 800Mhz to 4Gb (2x2) OC'd @ 1000Mhz for £14 , upgraded from an old 2.2Ghz Intel E4500 dual-core (2Mb L2 / 800Mhz FSB) to...
  9. BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub

BIOS not detecting USB3 pen drives in USB3 Hub: When I open the BIOS the pen drives plugged into the USB3 hub are not listed in the "Boot priority settings", however, if a pen drive is plugged directly into the PC USB3 or USB2 port it appears in the "Boot priority settings". Once booted into Windows 10 all USB2 and USB3...
  10. Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.: So I know you can install windows through a Flash Drive. I wanted to know if there was anyway to use a extra SSD as a Multiple Partition "Containing Different Windows and standard drivers for that OS" as a bootable installer. Mainly if I'm building a customers computer...