Windows 10: When switching user accounts - only a background image appears.

Discus and support When switching user accounts - only a background image appears. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello everyone. Hope everyone is having a good day. I recently ran into some issues with my user account and had to create a new one as the old one was... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Indiglo32, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Indiglo32 Win User

When switching user accounts - only a background image appears.

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is having a good day. I recently ran into some issues with my user account and had to create a new one as the old one was not accessible anymore. After creating a new user account - I've ran into an issue. When I go to switch my user account, I am taken to the login screen - however it just presents a background image. The only thing present is the power options on the right hand side. No accounts appear for me to switch to. My only option is to restart and go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated *Smile. Thank you all for taking the time out to look at this post.

:)

Indiglo32, Oct 23, 2016
  2. Colmirl Win User

Windows 10 login screen - can't change/remove images

Hi Jenicel,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately the pictures I see when logging in do not appear to be connected to my account (except for my account user image which I am not trying to change). As a result, only that one image is located in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures.
    The personal background and other personal image must be stored elsewhere?

Colm

Colmirl, Oct 23, 2016
  3. saberman Win User
    Background Slideshow Turns Black

Additional information:

The monitor is on a KVM switch with four machines attached. If I am on the problem machine -- with the slideshow running -- and I switch to another machine and then back the background is black.

However, the slideshow is still running. If I wait a minute one of the images will replace the black background

It appears the machine is failing to repaint the current background image when the monitor is switched to it.

saberman, Oct 23, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if you get the Lock/Switch User/Sign out... screen. If so, you can simply select switch user and log in as yourself once again.
    Hope this works, and HTH, too.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 23, 2016
  5. Indiglo32 Win User
    Thanks for the response. I have tried this - as well as the windows key + L with no luck. Thanks for again.

Indiglo32, Oct 23, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    So sorry, that's not a good sign. Have you performed the usual scanning checks (sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth)? Anything come up there? Something is definitely up, so now we have to figure out what it could be.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 24, 2016
  7. Indiglo32 Win User
    I have sir. Zero corruptions were found in the scans *Sad

Indiglo32, Oct 24, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

How do you feel about performing an in-place upgrade install? It will fix Windows issues but leave your apps, applications, and data alone. That might be your best bet to restore your system to normal operation. Here's a link to that tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 24, 2016
  9. Indiglo32 Win User
    Thank you EdTittel you have been very helpful!

Indiglo32, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. When switching user accounts - only a background image appears. - Similar Threads - switching user accounts

2. Local User background keeps changing on sign out only, switch user okay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local User background keeps changing on sign out only, switch user okay: Hi All,Need a little help, either with a solution or a link to a solution. Been searching for a solution, but either I don't phrase my search right, or there is no solution?Anyway, I'm setting up my oldest PC for my brother. I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to start...
  3. Local User background keeps changing on sign out only, switch user okay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local User background keeps changing on sign out only, switch user okay: Hi All,Need a little help, either with a solution or a link to a solution. Been searching for a solution, but either I don't phrase my search right, or there is no solution?Anyway, I'm setting up my oldest PC for my brother. I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to start...
  4. Local User background keeps changing on sign out only, switch user okay

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Icons of images with transparency appear with a black background

Icons of images with transparency appear with a black background: I bought a new laptop and I installed Windows. The problem is that the icons of image files that have transparency look like they had a black background. In my old laptop, which had Windows preinstalled , this didn't happen; icons had transparency. What can I do to solve...
  6. Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network

Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network: I keep seeing my background image change to an image that is on another computer in my network. I heard this has something to do with syncing but I do not know how to stop it. Is there a solution to this?...
  7. User account switch

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account switch: Hello, I have set up a new Microsoft account for my son and added him to my Family account to enable him to use the home PC. Whilst using my laptop to change some of his account details and restrictions, I have somehow assigned his Microsoft account to my laptop user profile....
  8. BSOD when switching user accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when switching user accounts: I get a BSOD stating dxgmms2.sys failed when switching from one user account to another if I try to play a video. This occurs when the video starts in many apps, including Netflix, Hulu, Edge, etc. This only happens if another user is signed in and we switch users. It does...
  9. Language list appears when there is only one keyboard layout used in a user account

Language list appears when there is only one keyboard layout used in a user account: There’re two user accounts on my computer running on Windows 10. In my account, the interface language is English (United Kingdom) and the keyboard layout is United States–International; in the other account, English (United Kingdom) is also the interface language, but the...
  10. Background audio (Pandora) turns off when switching user

in Windows 10 Support
    Background audio (Pandora) turns off when switching user: When I had windows 7 I could go to my internet browsing user (my only user with internet access) and navigate to the Pandora Music Webpage (or youtube or whatever) and start streaming music, and when I switched to my other user that did not have internet access for security...