Windows 10: When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???

Discus and support When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ??? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have setup a new computer in my network. ALL other comcuters in the network CAN access each others remote desktop WITHOUT asking for credentials.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by keldsor, Sep 13, 2020.

1. keldsor Win User

When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???

I have setup a new computer in my network.

ALL other comcuters in the network CAN access each others remote desktop WITHOUT asking for credentials.

What do I mis at the new computer to access WITHOUT it asking for credentials ?

:)

keldsor, Sep 13, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again.

Now, when I go to connect it asks for a password to go with username "MicrosoftAccount\my email". Of course I tried the password associated with that microsoft account and just get a message saying "your credentials did not work".

I have looked all over google, tried various steps that were advised such as enabling a load of security policies and adding "TERMSRV/*", and a few other things but nothing works.

Yes, I have remote desktop enabled on the device I want to access, and both on same network which is set as private/home network on both devices.

What is going on?! So annoying.

Alex of Smeg, Sep 13, 2020
  4. When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???

remote desktop credentials error

what does it say when you enter your credentials?

try reinstall the remote desktop app

sure why not, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???

1. When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ??? - Similar Threads - trying access remote

2. remote desktop keeps saying wrong credentials to access pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remote desktop keeps saying wrong credentials to access pc: we are having problems logging in with remote desktop. keeps saying we have the wrong credentials. we check and they are the only ones we have this pc was original a win 10 home was updated to enterprise and then downgraded to 10 pro then upgraded to win 11....
  3. remote desktop keeps saying wrong credentials to access pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remote desktop keeps saying wrong credentials to access pc: we are having problems logging in with remote desktop. keeps saying we have the wrong credentials. we check and they are the only ones we have this pc was original a win 10 home was updated to enterprise and then downgraded to 10 pro then upgraded to win 11....
  4. How to connect using Remote Desktop with asking credentials everytime but without a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect using Remote Desktop with asking credentials everytime but without a...: I have a PC which has a good feature: when I use remote desktop to it with RD, it does not show any dialogs for credentials. However, it will always ask credentials when I connect. It is shown as follows.However, I cannot reproduce this feature in any other PCs. I have try so...
  5. How to connect using Remote Desktop with asking credentials everytime but without a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to connect using Remote Desktop with asking credentials everytime but without a...: I have a PC which has a good feature: when I use remote desktop to it with RD, it does not show any dialogs for credentials. However, it will always ask credentials when I connect. It is shown as follows.However, I cannot reproduce this feature in any other PCs. I have try so...
  6. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  7. Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work: I am failing to get this to work. I have spent the past two hours googling solutions. I tried the ones I understood, none worked. Target PC is 192.168.0.9 Target PC microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Target PC is win10 pro Remote PC microsoft...
  8. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...
  9. Windows security prompt when trying to access remote desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows security prompt when trying to access remote desktop: Hello, I'm having issues connecting to a remote desktop on my PC. I am able to download the .rdp file required to connect, but when I try to run it, a windows security prompt pops up asking for my username and password. When I enter my account information, it tells me my...
  10. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...