Windows 10: When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt

Discus and support When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Title pretty much sums my issue. Even if I select "always use this app", nothing happens and the propmt comes back. submitted by /u/grungeguerra... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/grungeguerra, Mar 8, 2020.

1. When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt

Title pretty much sums my issue. Even if I select "always use this app", nothing happens and the propmt comes back.

submitted by /u/grungeguerra
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/grungeguerra, Mar 8, 2020
  2. shytot Win User

Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Mar 8, 2020
  3. default apps not opening in windows 10

Hi,

• Run the SFC.
    Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.

• Select “Run as Administrator”.

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.

• I would suggest you to run the App troubleshooter and check if that fixes the issue.
    a. Open Control Panel and click on troubleshooting.

b. Click on View All. Click on Windows Apps. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Also refer to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Anannya Podder, Mar 8, 2020
  4. When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt

Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt

1. When trying to open a link, I get stuck in the "Select default app"prompt - Similar Threads - trying open link

2. Phone link messages containing links no longer open MS Edge when selected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone link messages containing links no longer open MS Edge when selected?: Your Phone opened Edge links contained in messages, apparently Phone Link does not. Also cannot just copy the link and paste it into search, have to copy whole message??? Not sure if this is a setting change or not???...
  3. Phone link messages containing links no longer open MS Edge when selected?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone link messages containing links no longer open MS Edge when selected?: Your Phone opened Edge links contained in messages, apparently Phone Link does not. Also cannot just copy the link and paste it into search, have to copy whole message??? Not sure if this is a setting change or not???...
  4. Printer set as default but I still have to select it when trying to print

Printer set as default but I still have to select it when trying to print: When I try to print from any application, Adobe PDF shows instead of my selected default printer and no, the "Let Windows Choose a Printer" option is not clicked.I can change to the printer that is actually selected as the default, but shouldn't the default printer be the one...
  5. Printer set as default but I still have to select it when trying to print

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer set as default but I still have to select it when trying to print: When I try to print from any application, Adobe PDF shows instead of my selected default printer and no, the "Let Windows Choose a Printer" option is not clicked.I can change to the printer that is actually selected as the default, but shouldn't the default printer be the one...
  6. Printer set as default but I still have to select it when trying to print

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Application gets struck when I try to open

Application gets struck when I try to open: I Am unable to open one application normally and also cannot find its file location in any of the drives. But I can only open the application through "Run as Administrator". Please help me resolve the issue....
  8. browser opening new tab when trying to open links

in Browsers and Email
    browser opening new tab when trying to open links: Hi, Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes. My issue is this: whenever I click on a web site shortcut, whether in my task bar or on my desktop, my browser opens a new tab with my browser home page, rather than going directly to the web site I'm after. This...
  9. First icon get selected everywhere. When i try opening any folder, it automatically selects...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    First icon get selected everywhere. When i try opening any folder, it automatically selects...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/yunick5 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0hamk/first_icon_get_selected_everywhere_when_i_try/
  10. The computer get stuck when I try to open a library

in Windows 10 Support
    The computer get stuck when I try to open a library: I just bought a new Lenovo computer with windows 8, I upgraded to 10 as soon as I got it. now when I'm trying to open a folder or save a word file or even open a chrome - the computer get stuck. I cant tell if it's a computer issue or windows, any idea how can I...