Windows 10: when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or...

Discus and support when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; trying to upgrade a 32 bit win 7 operating system to windows 10 not having any luck doing so I think it maybe because the cpu is a 64 bit processor.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by petemaggiac, Feb 22, 2020.

1. when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or...

trying to upgrade a 32 bit win 7 operating system to windows 10 not having any luck doing so I think it maybe because the cpu is a 64 bit processor. Yes/no

:)

petemaggiac, Feb 22, 2020

2. Can 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 10 support different processors

I have a 32-bit Windows 7 and a 64-bit Windows 7, I upgraded our old XP on a 64-bit machine to 64-bit with a semi-clean install (files preserved in windows.old), but then when I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 it told me the processor was incompatible and
    I hadn't considered the RAM issues. So now I know that it needs 2 Gig Ram and I can get that but it says processor is not compatible.

Can I install the 32-bit Windows 7 instead of the 64-bit and get a different result from the compabibility checker? Are there processors supported by the 32-bit Windows 10 that aren't supported by the 64-bit?

I just don't want to do yet another install of windows 7 to find the processor is not supported in 32-bit mode either for a Windows 10 upgrade!

Is there a list somewhere perhaps of 32-bit supported processors vs. 64-bit?

EricBelrose, Feb 22, 2020
  3. pepoluan Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit

So, Windows 10 Upgrade is being rolled out worldwide, and I have 'reserved' my upgrade.

Currently my computer is running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I'm planning to 'upgrade' it to Windows 10 64-bit (via fresh install, of course).

After reading many references, these will be the steps I'll do:

1. Let the "Get Windows 10" app upgrade my OS to Windows 10 32-bit
    2. Note the activation key
    3. Download the Installation Media for Windows 10, but choosing 64-bit instead
    4. Perform a clean install
    5. Reactivate using the activation key in Step #2

(Of course I'll backup my data first.)

However, I still have some questions:

1. On Windows 7, the activation key does not differ between 32- or 64-bit versions. Is it still so with Windows 10?
    2. Will I be able to download a different architecture on Step #3?
    3. Is there anything I need to prepare beforehand?

Thank you for your assistance.

pepoluan, Feb 22, 2020
  4. Rishi 007 Win User

when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or...

How to Upgrade Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit OS on x64-based processor

Hi

I am using windows 10 32-bit version, upgraded from windows 7 ultimate 32-bit. I have a x64 based processor ( intel core2duo).

How can I upgrade to windows 10 64-bit OS without loosing any data on hard disk. The media creation tool x64 does not work. Please suggest me a way to install windows 10 64-bit officially!

Thanks in advance

Rishi 007, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or...

1. when upgrading to windows 10 does it choose the version 32 or 64 based on the processor or... - Similar Threads - upgrading does choose

2. Stuck on choose 32 or 64 bit for windows boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on choose 32 or 64 bit for windows boot: I am trying to install windows into my pc but when it asks if I would like to run 32 or 64 bit, I select 64 bit windows logo comes up with a loading circle thing underneath and will load for about 5 minutes before restarting the computer and taking me back to the 32 or 64 bit...
  3. Stuck on choose 32 or 64 bit for windows boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on choose 32 or 64 bit for windows boot: I am trying to install windows into my pc but when it asks if I would like to run 32 or 64 bit, I select 64 bit windows logo comes up with a loading circle thing underneath and will load for about 5 minutes before restarting the computer and taking me back to the 32 or 64 bit...
  4. I cannot install Windows 10 64-bit on a Windows 10 32-bit, 64-based Processor computer

I cannot install Windows 10 64-bit on a Windows 10 32-bit, 64-based Processor computer: I recently would like to make use of our old computer as test computer for applications and websites. Before I decided to upgrade this computer, the computer is in Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit version. I decided to upgrade this computer to Windows 10 64-bit directly....
  5. Windows 32 to 64 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 32 to 64 Upgrade: I need help I need some help upgrading my PC from a 32 Bit version, to a 64 Bit version of windows. I don't wanna reset my computer, or use a USB, I just want to do it quick, without effort, or using the computer's bios. So, Is there a way? I double checked if my processor...
  6. Upgrade widows from 32 to 64 version

in Windows 10 Customization
    Upgrade widows from 32 to 64 version: I have a satellite P300 that has been running fine till the last auto windows upgrade and the outlook live has changed to link with exchange and this virtually killed by Outlook version of Hotmail. it also stopped Word form working . Microsoft have advised i need to change...
  7. upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit version of Windows 10

upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit version of Windows 10: A friend asked me if can change from 32 to 64 bits is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-32-bit-to-64-bit-version-of-windows/fb5b1103-1ea9-422b-b475-177774e37e33
  8. 32 bits on 64 bits processor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    32 bits on 64 bits processor: I have windows 10 64 bits installed on my laptop. I have 2 gb ram , so my experience with 64 bit version is terrible. also I don't want to leave windows environment. does switching to 32 bits would solve my problem....
  9. Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit with a 64-bit based processor

Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit with a 64-bit based processor: How can I change my Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit as I've a 64-bit based processor? I tried downloading the Windows 10 64-bit OS from the microsoft site like an ISO file and tried running it, but it says that this pc can't run that software where Windows 10 32-bit was...
  10. Upgrading from Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit version

Upgrading from Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit version: I am preparing to upgrade my system to 64 bit from 32 bit...As I have 12 GB of Ram... I have ensured the processor is compatible, my hardware is good, I have created the boot image from Microsoft to install a clean version of Win 10 x64. I've read numerous articles and am...