Windows 10: When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used

Discus and support When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I recently purchased a Wavlink usb-c dual 4k docking station to use with my Dell XPS 15 9570. However, whenever I use this and close the lid to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Benjamin Rome, Jun 19, 2019.

1. When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used

Hi all, I recently purchased a Wavlink usb-c dual 4k docking station to use with my Dell XPS 15 9570. However, whenever I use this and close the lid to my laptop, the dedicated GPU stops being used. It defaults to the internal GPU which essentially makes all of my games non-playable. I know that my dedicated GPU is working because I can open the lid to my laptop, launch the game on it, and move it over to the external display. This does get tedious and I just want to be able to use my dock and external monitors as intended. I have been diving on forums for a while, and Displaylink believes that this is a Microsoft issue based on this thread here. I am hoping that Microsoft can see and address this and help me out here.

Thanks

:)

Benjamin Rome, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Uplink10 Win User

DisplayLink Demonstrates USB-C Docking Experience That "Just Works"

I'm glad they finally cleared up that you could use USB 3.1 Type-A connector the same way you could use USB 3.1 Type-C connector. For a while they had me worried I could connect screen only to USB 3.1 Type-C port.

Just when I thought we will have only two connectors (Type-A and Type-C) they brought up Type-B connector. Instead of Type-B they should use Type-A connector which is as robust as Type-B.
    Well done, you screwed up again and now we will have 3 USB connectors in the future instead of 2.

Uplink10, Jun 19, 2019
  3. Zeond1987 Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Jun 19, 2019
  4. When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used

TRENDnet Introduces Compact USB-C HD Docking Station

TRENDnet, a global leader in reliable SMB and consumer networking and surveillance solutions, has announced it will introduce a Mini USB-C HD Docking Cube, model TUC-DS1. The compact USB-C docking station supports high-resolution HD video, and extends or mirrors your notebook's display.

TRENDnet's Mini USB-C HD Docking Cube allows you to connect multiple USB devices, and network your laptop all from a single cable. Easily manage multiple workstation devices such as USB storage, keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, and HD monitor. Free up desk space with this compact USB-C docking station to make more room for what's really important to you.

Conveniently connect all your workstation devices to the Mini USB-C HD Docking Cube, and then connect your laptop or notebook directly to the docking station. The TUC-DS1 also includes a power delivery port to charge a USB-C notebook from the docking station.

TRENDnet's Mini USB-C HD Docking Cube, model TUC-DS1, will be available next week online on the TRENDnet Store, and worldwide via our authorized distribution and retail partners.

Mini USB-C HD Docking Cube, TUC-DS1
    • Up to 3840 x 2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Gigabit Ethernet port
    • One USB 3.0 port and two USB 2.0 ports
    • HDMI audio support
    • Compatible with MHL supported Android devices with a USB-C interface
    • Supports Windows 10 Continuum mode
    • Supports Windows 10 and Mac operating systems
    • Product page: www.trendnet.com/store/products/TUC-DS1
    • MSRP: USD $99.99

Raevenlord, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used

1. When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used - Similar Threads - using usb dock

2. No video output using USB C - Dell Dock – WD19S

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No video output using USB C - Dell Dock – WD19S: I just bought a new docking station upgrading from a d6000. I have a Dell laptop that is connected to the new docking station and outputting to three monitors just fine. I have a desktop with Windows 11 64 bit that I built myself but it's not outputting video to the three...
  3. No video output using USB C - Dell Dock – WD19S

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No video output using USB C - Dell Dock – WD19S: I just bought a new docking station upgrading from a d6000. I have a Dell laptop that is connected to the new docking station and outputting to three monitors just fine. I have a desktop with Windows 11 64 bit that I built myself but it's not outputting video to the three...
  4. Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem: I have a USB-C dock that works fine on one of my Surface Pro 7's, however not on my second one. I have 2 external monitors hooked up to the dock 1 through HDMI, 1 through DisplayPort. Both monitors will go black randomly for a few seconds not at the same time, then come back...
  5. Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using a Surface Pro 7 with a USB-C Dock Problem: I have a USB-C dock that works fine on one of my Surface Pro 7's, however not on my second one. I have 2 external monitors hooked up to the dock 1 through HDMI, 1 through DisplayPort. Both monitors will go black randomly for a few seconds not at the same time, then come back...
  6. GPU not being used

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU not being used: Both of my monitors are connected. They're both using my integrated graphics even though my GPU NVIDIA Geforce 540M is connected. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpu-not-being-used/0d77df90-53a9-4215-8c4d-9af2cbf22539
  7. Laptop using dock for external monitors only uses integrated GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop using dock for external monitors only uses integrated GPU: Hello! I am running a Razer Blade with a GTX 1060 6Gb GPU. I just got a new Dell Universal Dock D6000 that uses software called DisplayLink for my two external monitors. After setting the monitors up I wanted to run Diablo 3 and see how it looked with the new setup. The...
  8. Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?: I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's nor does it allow...
  9. Windows apps use Nvidia GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows apps use Nvidia GPU: I have switchable integrated Intel HD video/Nvidia GeForce 840M. Recently I noticed that my Nvidia GPU is used even without any apps started. It turned that it is used by Windows apps like Phone Companion, Store, Mail etc. It is really disturbing, because my battery life is...
  10. USB docking station - powered on or off when not in use ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB docking station - powered on or off when not in use ?: Have a new 2 HDD docking station for 2 of my older/larger Sata HDDs....question is should the docking station be powered on when not in use...?...does having it/them powered on shorten or affect their live expectancy or the docking station itself useful life ?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia drivers through dock

2. usb c not connecting to nvidia only to integrated graphics

3. nvidia display settings are not availanble with usb docking station

4. nvidia and usb-c docking,
  5. using a docking station nvidia problem,
  6. secondary gpu via usbc