Windows 10: when using dictation will only work with Cortana

Discus and support when using dictation will only work with Cortana in Cortana to solve the problem; window h , now stop working sometime in Oct , the bar comes up and says to use dictation, select a text field it will work with Cortana nothing else I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DennisSmithmyer, Nov 23, 2020.

1. when using dictation will only work with Cortana

window h , now stop working sometime in Oct , the bar comes up and says to use dictation, select a text field it will work with Cortana nothing else I have tried everything

I believe this was cause by a update .

:)

DennisSmithmyer, Nov 23, 2020

2. Dictation not working.

Hello Lina,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you using dictation in Windows or Office application?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: To dictate text:

1. Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2. Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3. Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4. Say the text that you want dictate.

Step 2: You may refer Microsoft article related to Dictating text:

Use dictation to talk instead of type on your PC

Dictate text using Speech Recognition

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Cortana and dictation

Original title: Cortana

When will Cortana be able to do dictation (if ever)? This would be a very useful feature.

Larry Buschman, Nov 23, 2020
  4. when using dictation will only work with Cortana

Easy Dictation Into Windows 10 eMail?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the Microphone/ Cortana to dictate the mails.

What is the make and model of your device?

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing

• Click on Next to perform the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Method 2: I suggest you to search for the latest drivers for your device from the Microsoft website, try to download all the updates and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

when using dictation will only work with Cortana

1. when using dictation will only work with Cortana - Similar Threads - using dictation Cortana

2. dictation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dictation not working: dictation says not connected to internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation-not-working/6923cc58-faf1-4853-b0af-29a3400332f7
  3. dictation not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dictation not working: dictation says not connected to internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation-not-working/6923cc58-faf1-4853-b0af-29a3400332f7
  4. Dictation is not working working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictation is not working working: When I start the tool WIN+H it just says ”to use dictation select a text field” notepad, WordPad and office word are on – nothing, not registered at all, empty web online fields same and it does not listen, not even when the microphone icon is pressed. However, if I open...
  5. Dictation is not working working

Dictation is not working working: When I start the tool WIN+H it just says ”to use dictation select a text field” notepad, WordPad and office word are on – nothing, not registered at all, empty web online fields same and it does not listen, not even when the microphone icon is pressed. However, if I open...
  6. Dictation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictation not working: This error 0x80049dd3 seems to be a known bug now that is not allowing dictation to work in Windows 10 and 11.I am frustrated since this is an accessibility issue for me as I have reduced hand mobility.Is there an estimated time for this to be fixed and released?Will this be...
  7. Dictation not working

Dictation not working: This error 0x80049dd3 seems to be a known bug now that is not allowing dictation to work in Windows 10 and 11.I am frustrated since this is an accessibility issue for me as I have reduced hand mobility.Is there an estimated time for this to be fixed and released?Will this be...
  8. Microphone not working, only works with cortana

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone not working, only works with cortana: For some stupid reason my microphone is being detected, works perfectly fine, but literally every application other than cortana does not work. Before you ask, yes I have enabled apps to use my microphone. Windows has detected no issues with it, and it says everything is...
  9. Cortana Dictation Popup too big

in Cortana
    Cortana Dictation Popup too big: When I hit <Window Key> H, it brings up a box with a microphone icon allowing me to dictate text with Cortana but that box is way too big and obstructs too much of my screen. It is over 6 inches long and all I really need is a small microphone icon. How can I make that popup...
  10. Dictation not working.

Dictation not working.: When dictating into a document, the dictation box pops up. I do not want to use the dictation box. When I go back to my document, it says in the dragonbar that I can dictate and use voice commands, but then my voice command is not transcribed into the document where I want...