Windows 10: When using File Explorer in Windows 10, I cannot see photo thumbnails on external device

Discus and support When using File Explorer in Windows 10, I cannot see photo thumbnails on external device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and "Always show menus" are unchecked. "Display file icon on thumbnails" and "Show preview handlers in preview... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Freemac, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Freemac Win User

When using File Explorer in Windows 10, I cannot see photo thumbnails on external device

"Always show icons, never thumbnails" and "Always show menus" are unchecked.
    "Display file icon on thumbnails" and "Show preview handlers in preview pane" are checked.

I can see thumbnails within folders on the PC, just not on the external device.

:)

Freemac, Jan 30, 2021
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jan 30, 2021
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Billb1111 Win User

When using File Explorer in Windows 10, I cannot see photo thumbnails on external device

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion.

As "recommended for Windows 10", "Photos" is the default app for "Photo viewer" (.jpg isn't really listed as the file extension in the settings).

Do you have another app you would suggest?

By the way, my photos open and display just fine, the issue is the general absence of thumbnails in File Explorer.

Billb1111, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. When using File Explorer in Windows 10, I cannot see photo thumbnails on external device - Similar Threads - using File Explorer

2. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  3. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  4. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer

iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer: Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but on both my machines I have had this. iCloud Photos icon comes up loads of times as you can see in the picture I've attached. The number of thumbnails keeps increasing. When I uninstall, the icons remain there but the little...
  6. File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails

File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails: Hello, I'm beyond frustrated. I'm trying to batch delete a bunch of photos at once but my file explorer is not showing the thumbnails so I am having to open each file to see what they are. This is way too time consuming. I've already done a search and followed some...
  7. Why can I not see CR3 RAW file thumbnail images in file explorer, when i used to be able to...

Why can I not see CR3 RAW file thumbnail images in file explorer, when i used to be able to...: Hi, I have just added a Canon EOS R to my quiver of cameras...and whilst I am loving it for many reasons I am finding the fact I cannot see the RAW thumbnails in file explorer a pain in the behind. When I download my images to my pc , I then need to cull the photos I do not...
  8. Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer

Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer: Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-see-thumbnails-in-file-explorer/da120d4e-a8c5-4419-8d11-51b56a6c003c"
  9. Unable to see photo thumbnails?

Unable to see photo thumbnails?: I have tried almost every trick in the book to make my thumbnails work, including scouring the internet for answers. At the moment, I am unable to see what my images are without opening each and every individual image, and I have thousands. I have checked to see thumbnails,...
  10. Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why i can't see thumbnails preview in file explorer ?: I have window 10 home. I'm in the directory on my hard disk c:\ I can see maybe 2-3 thumbnails preview the rest are icons and i have like 400 items most of them thumbnails/images of some types: png jpg bmp. My hard disk c: have 93.6 GB free out of 139 GB And i tried...