Windows 10: When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM

Discus and support When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there -- especially Geeks !! Is there an easy way to check if I RDP to a remote computer whether it's running as a VM or a "Real" machine. Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 20, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM

Hi there -- especially Geeks !!

Is there an easy way to check if I RDP to a remote computer whether it's running as a VM or a "Real" machine.

Thanks

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 20, 2019
  2. Rob Arone Win User

RDP Will no longer login to Windows 7 VM

I have a Windows 7 VM running an old application, because the application will not run on Windows 10. I have been RDP into it for months, and now it is giving me this error:

"Your password may have expired or the remote PC might not accept blank passwords"

Here's my environment:

Windows 2008r2 DC

Windows 7 & 10 Pro PC's

VM is on Win10 Pro PC, Workgroup

Like I said, worked a month ago.

I attempted to RDP from Win7 Pro PC and received the same message. But the old RDP gives you more information, and I saw that I was trying to login with a domain user, instead of a local user. Changed the login to login as a local user and it connected right
    away.

I then tried to change the login on the Win10 PC to a local login and it still gives me the same error. Is the format of local login (Machinename\Username) different on the new RDP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Arone, May 20, 2019
  3. RDP file not launching Remote Desktop

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that ".rdp files will not launch Remote Desktop", what exactly are you referring to? Are you facing issues while launching .rdp files in remote desktop mode?

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 20, 2019
  4. When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM

RDP freezes remote

Win 10 laptop rdp freezes the remote desktop immediately upon connecting. Remote is running Windows 10 Pro. The desktop remains frozen until powered off and on. I believe no settings have been changed since it used to work properly. A different laptop
    is able to rdp successfully into that desktop. Strangely, the laptop that is able to successfully rdp cannot see files on the remote when the homegroup icon is clicked--says the remote is currently unavailable, but the laptop that freezes the remote can see
    and open files when the homegroup icon is clicked. When I google remote freezes I get info about Windows 7, and the "Virtual Agent" doesn't understand my question. Thanks for any help

EllenReddick, May 20, 2019
Thema:

When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM

1. When using RDP can I tell if Remote is running as a VM - Similar Threads - using RDP tell

2. I have been having BSOD error when running rdp. I am not running rdp to connect to other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have been having BSOD error when running rdp. I am not running rdp to connect to other...: Everytime i have had rdp running i have got bsod error. It ussualy happens within 10 hours or less of me starting rdp. I will provide some pictures and you can let me know if you need anymore info. The two pictures below the picture with the info i received from my mini dump...
  3. I have been having BSOD error when running rdp. I am not running rdp to connect to other...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have been having BSOD error when running rdp. I am not running rdp to connect to other...: Everytime i have had rdp running i have got bsod error. It ussualy happens within 10 hours or less of me starting rdp. I will provide some pictures and you can let me know if you need anymore info. The two pictures below the picture with the info i received from my mini dump...
  4. Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon: I connect to RDP user session on the VM from command line tscon. The problem is I am not able to connect to the session if it is not active. Is there a way to connect to the rdp session using tscon even if user session is disconnected? Or Can I make disconnected session...
  5. Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon: I connect to RDP user session on the VM from command line tscon. The problem is I am not able to connect to the session if it is not active. Is there a way to connect to the rdp session using tscon even if user session is disconnected? Or Can I make disconnected session...
  6. Dual boot a remote computer using windows rdp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot a remote computer using windows rdp: I am using windows rdp to connect to the remote computer. It boots into windows 10 pro by default and I want to boot into linux ubuntu after booting into windows. The problem is I loose connection to the remote computer on reboot to linux ubuntu and it does not connect again...
  7. When using RDP can I tel if Remote is running as a VM

in Windows 10 Support
    When using RDP can I tel if Remote is running as a VM: Hi there -- especially Geeks !! Is there an easy way to check if I RDP to a remote computer whether it's running as a VM or a "Real" machine. Thanks Cheers jimbo 132862
  8. Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.: Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp. I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine. If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in...
  9. How long can I use this VM?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How long can I use this VM?: Hi all It´s a first time that I make a virtual box. I came here following the thread "How to Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox" and the installation occurred as expected except for two items: a) The wireless network adapter configuration was successful...
  10. RDP - how can I reboot remote machine

in Windows 10 Support
    RDP - how can I reboot remote machine: Hi there It's been AGES since I've done this - but is there any way of rebooting a remote Windows machine from RDP. The problem probably needs Windows login as it boots so how to connect ?? I'm sure it's possible without having things like Network boot in a Nic....