Windows 10: When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter

Discus and support When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello! My problem is specifically with mstsc, but is applicable to all applications. In my job I use remote desktop maybe 100 times a day. What I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Calle Borg, Feb 10, 2021.

1. When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter

Hello!

My problem is specifically with mstsc, but is applicable to all applications.

In my job I use remote desktop maybe 100 times a day. What I have previously done is just klick the windows-button on the keyboard, type mstsc and press enter. This has opened up the Remote Desktop login window and I could just put in my credentials.

This stopped working in 20H2.

Now, when I press the window-button, type in mstsc and klick enter, the Remote Desktop login appears but the Remote Desktop login screen is not the active window. Meaning that I have to take my mouse and klick on the Remote Desktop login window or cycle thought alt-tab to make it the active window before I can put in my credentials.

This might seem like a trivial matter, but as I use that sequence of commands hundreds of times a week it has quickly become super annoying.

My question is, is there a way to fix this? To get the result from searching via the windows-button and pressing enter to also, like it has always previously done, become the active window.

Thank you in advance

Calle

:)

Calle Borg, Feb 10, 2021

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Feb 10, 2021
  3. BigMack70 Win User
    Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Wait wait wait I can do it in 3 steps

Diasble Metro:
    1) Don't buy Windows 8
    2) ?????
    3) Profit!

BigMack70, Feb 10, 2021
  4. When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter

Windows 20H2 Domain Join breaks Start Menu

Upon doing a recovery of a system to start with a clean slate, it now installs 20H2. All looks good. Start menu and taskbar look normal.

We then join it to our domain. Upon reboot, the start menu will not show the applications list. No option to expose it. Start menu settings shows "Show app list in start menu" greyed out. Trying to log out shows as the only option "Change Account Settings"
    Right clicking on taskbar, the task manager is greyed out. We checked the GPO for the start menu app list removal and it is listed as "not configured". Tried setting the local policy to different settings with no effect.

Read thru the event viewer and nothing jumped out as related.

All very strange. We are a hospital that has been running this AD schema for a number of years. It is based on Windows Server 2012 R2. We have over 250 systems with multiple levels of windows 10 Pro systems in production, with none of them showing these
    behaviors. At this point, 20H2 is unusable for us.

JohnWilliamsCCH, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter

1. When using Start Menu in 20H2 the search does not become the focused window when pressing enter - Similar Threads - using Start Menu

2. Search bar menu goes blurry when text is entered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar menu goes blurry when text is entered: As soon as I type anything into the windows start menu search-bar, the menu goes blurry see screenshot. It is fine when i press the windows button, but as soon as i start syping it blurs. Notice the difference in sharpness between the actual search bar and the menu underneath...
  3. Search bar menu goes blurry when text is entered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar menu goes blurry when text is entered: As soon as I type anything into the windows start menu search-bar, the menu goes blurry see screenshot. It is fine when i press the windows button, but as soon as i start syping it blurs. Notice the difference in sharpness between the actual search bar and the menu underneath...
  4. [Windows11]: I can’t use search function of Win11 when pressing Win Key and then entering...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Windows11]: I can’t use search function of Win11 when pressing Win Key and then entering...: on my windows 11 OS unit, I can’t use search function when pressing Win key and then entering the wordssee below pic, type here to search https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows11-i-cant-use-search-function-of-win11-when/351e7867-a2d6-4db3-9898-218029af9374
  5. How to fix Windows 10 20H2 detecting Xbox controllers as mice when pressing Start/Menu.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to fix Windows 10 20H2 detecting Xbox controllers as mice when pressing Start/Menu.: Hi. So here's the issue. After I updated to Windows 10 20H2, Windows suddenly started detecting and using my Xbox Series SX controller as a mouse whenever I would hit Start/Menu. This is incredibly aggravating as it is interfering with all of my games. Any time I pause a...
  6. Start menu opens when I press esc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu opens when I press esc: Hello, my name is Maks and I have a question my problem is, when I click esc opens start menu and I can't change sites on firefox and other weird things, I turned off sticky buttons That bug doing at random times and when I restart the computer everything works for 10 min/1,5...
  7. Start menu and search box become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu and search box become unresponsive: I'm running the latest version of Windows, but this started before I upgraded. Whenever it happens, I have to restart the Windows Explorer service to get it to start back. I've looked at the Event Viewer, but nothing seems to jump out. The 2 warnings I see a lot are the...
  8. Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu: Asus G750JM Windows 10 Home As soon as I start to type in the search bar the search bar crashes preventing me from using the search function at all. With the task manager open I can see one of the cortana processes disappear and reappear - i guess indicating that Cortana is...
  9. Wrong icon in start menu when searching

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong icon in start menu when searching: The result of searching in Windows 10 start menu shows wrong icon for all UWP applications (e.g. Calculator, Calendar). Anyway to fix it? Thanks! Some examples of the wrong icons are shown below. Why I choose "Ubuntu 16.04" rather than other common built-in UWP apps is that...
  10. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION when searching in start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION when searching in start menu: I am using Windows 10 with all updates installed. It is basically working just fine, but sometimes, somewhat seldom I am getting a bluescreen. The situation when this happens always is more or less comparable: I am using Classic Shell as a replacement for the start menu....