Windows 10: When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Discus and support When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418 i7-4790K, 32 GB AX860i Power Supply Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did not keep "my files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DulacLancelot, Nov 11, 2019.

1. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418
    i7-4790K, 32 GB
    AX860i Power Supply

Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    I did not keep "my files and documents" but it was still an upgrade, not a clean install to formatted drive.

I noticed that after I "Shut Down", if I pressed the power button, the computer would go into a boot loop.
    I'm not even sure that is the right term, though, as it would power off in under a second of trying to power on, so not sure it's even getting to the OS Boot part.
    Then, in under two seconds later, it would try to power on again with the same result, again and again.
    To stop this loop, I have to turn the manual switch on the back of the power supply off.
    Then, if I wait a while (maybe like an hour) and then try again, it will power up.

I was convinced I was overloading the power supply during startup or something so I tried unplugging a lot of things like extra hard drives but it did not help. I tried disabling the Fastboot thing in the BIOS and that did not help.

Definitely when I disabled Virtual Memory the problem has gone away, and when I put it back, the problem comes back.

I would like to be able to keep my Virtual Memory on, System Managed.

What is my problem here?

Thanks!

:)

DulacLancelot, Nov 11, 2019
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Virtual Memory

"704 GB of virtual memory adequate "

- Typo, yes ? If not... Waaaay too much space allocated for the Page File.

If you have used a 'performance enhancing' software (or file tweak), that has an option to 'clear the Page File at shut down' .

having this option enabled will slow shut down, but not booting into Windows.

- As suggested by Sher, System Managed should be fine. If you want to use a fixed amount try 6GB (6144) for both min and max.

- Have you run Disk Cleanup and defragmented your HDD recently ?

BossDweeb, Nov 11, 2019
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Beep01 Win User

When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Virtual Memory

Hello Community; I have an hp desktop with an OS of windows 10 pro / 64 Bit. lately my computer is very slow on boot up and slower on shut down. I understand that if my virtual memory is set LOW this could be contributory to the boot up and shut down
    speed. I have 4 GB of ram, my current "PAGING FILE" is set at 704 GB.

what would be an appropriate setting for my paging file be, if in fact this would be a solution to my boot & shut down speed?. Is the 704 GB of virtual memory adequate or is it too slow anyway?, Any information or links to help me with my question
    would be appreciated.

thank You

Beep01, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

1. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later - Similar Threads - Virtual Memory enabled

2. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  3. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  4. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.: i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.I jsut shutdowns i have both registry editor and group policy editor but nothing works. It doesnt clears at all...
  5. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.: i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.I jsut shutdowns i have both registry editor and group policy editor but nothing works. It doesnt clears at all...
  6. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...tatus-messages I like seeing this. I had to use the registry method, did not see it in group policy editor, why is that? I have pro version 2OH2 168935
  8. shut down loop

in Windows 10 Customization
    shut down loop: I can't get out of MFS 2020. It comes back up with Xbox live By e-mail by player icon them on bottom "Switch Account" "LET'S PLAY". I HIT THE "X" . Then it goes to the start screen "Press any Key to Start". Then it comes back to Xbox....
  9. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later: Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418 i7-4790K, 32 GB AX860i Power Supply Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did not keep "my files and documents" but it was still an upgrade, not a clean install to formatted drive. I noticed that after I "Shut Down", if I...
  10. BOOT LOOP AFTER SUDDEN SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BOOT LOOP AFTER SUDDEN SHUT DOWN: Hello fellas.I need your help immediately. Let me start the story.I was playing some Rocket League when my power suddenly cut off in the entire house.Of course this also shut down my computer.After the power got back,my PC was not booting Windows at all.Just blue screens and...