Windows 10: When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Discus and support When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418 i7-4790K, 32 GB AX860i Power Supply Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did not keep "my files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DulacLancelot, Nov 13, 2019.

1. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418
    i7-4790K, 32 GB
    AX860i Power Supply

Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    I did not keep "my files and documents" but it was still an upgrade, not a clean install to formatted drive.

I noticed that after I "Shut Down", if I pressed the power button, the computer would go into a boot loop.
    I'm not even sure that is the right term, though, as it would power off in under a second of trying to power on, so not sure it's even getting to the OS Boot part.
    Then, in under two seconds later, it would try to power on again with the same result, again and again.
    To stop this loop, I have to turn the manual switch on the back of the power supply off.
    Then, if I wait a while (maybe like an hour) and then try again, it will power up.

I was convinced I was overloading the power supply during startup or something so I tried unplugging a lot of things like extra hard drives but it did not help. I tried disabling the Fastboot thing in the BIOS and that did not help.

When I disabled Virtual Memory the problem seemed to go away, but it is back now, even with it disabled.

What is my problem here?

Thank you for any help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell Installing PowerShell - PowerShell | Microsoft Docs

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.418

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.418

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    459008 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    10527 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    36285 reparse records processed.
    537120 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    36285 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    39057 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34438184 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

133665067 KB total disk space.
    22684940 KB in 140211 files.
    102412 KB in 39058 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    573019 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    110304696 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    33416266 total allocation units on disk.
    27576174 allocation units available on disk.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic recoveros set autoreboot=false
    Updating property(s) of '\\AKINA\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_OSRecoveryConfiguration.Name="Microsoft Windows 10 Pro|C:\\WINDOWS|\\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition2"'
    Property(s) update successful.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic recoveros set DebuginfoType=7
    Updating property(s) of '\\AKINA\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_OSRecoveryConfiguration.Name="Microsoft Windows 10 Pro|C:\\WINDOWS|\\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition2"'
    Property(s) update successful.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

:)

DulacLancelot, Nov 13, 2019

2. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418
    i7-4790K, 32 GB
    AX860i Power Supply

Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    I did not keep "my files and documents" but it was still an upgrade, not a clean install to formatted drive.

I noticed that after I "Shut Down", if I pressed the power button, the computer would go into a boot loop.
    I'm not even sure that is the right term, though, as it would power off in under a second of trying to power on, so not sure it's even getting to the OS Boot part.
    Then, in under two seconds later, it would try to power on again with the same result, again and again.
    To stop this loop, I have to turn the manual switch on the back of the power supply off.
    Then, if I wait a while (maybe like an hour) and then try again, it will power up.

I was convinced I was overloading the power supply during startup or something so I tried unplugging a lot of things like extra hard drives but it did not help. I tried disabling the Fastboot thing in the BIOS and that did not help.

Definitely when I disabled Virtual Memory the problem has gone away, and when I put it back, the problem comes back.

I would like to be able to keep my Virtual Memory on, System Managed.

What is my problem here?

Thanks!

DulacLancelot, Nov 13, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    4) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    5) sfc /scannow
    6) chkdsk /scan
    7) wmic recoveros set autoreboot = false
    8) wmic recoveros set DebugInfoType = 7
    9) bcdedit /enum {badmemory}

10) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

11) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.

12) In the left lower corner search type: system or system control > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings

a) > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery window into the thread

b) > on the advanced tab under performance > click on settings > on the performance options window > click on the advanced tab > under virtual memory > click on change > post an image of the virtual memory window into the thread

13) turn off Windows fast startup:

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

14) There are log collectors used in another forum room.
    Run V2 and upload results into this thread:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions

zbook, Nov 13, 2019
  4. BossDweeb Win User

Virtual Memory

"704 GB of virtual memory adequate "

- Typo, yes ? If not... Waaaay too much space allocated for the Page File.

If you have used a 'performance enhancing' software (or file tweak), that has an option to 'clear the Page File at shut down' .

having this option enabled will slow shut down, but not booting into Windows.

- As suggested by Sher, System Managed should be fine. If you want to use a fixed amount try 6GB (6144) for both min and max.

- Have you run Disk Cleanup and defragmented your HDD recently ?

BossDweeb, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

1. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later - Similar Threads - Virtual Memory enabled

2. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  3. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  4. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.: i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.I jsut shutdowns i have both registry editor and group policy editor but nothing works. It doesnt clears at all...
  5. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.: i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.I jsut shutdowns i have both registry editor and group policy editor but nothing works. It doesnt clears at all...
  6. i have enabled clear virtual ram at shut down but when i shut down it doesnt clears.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...tatus-messages I like seeing this. I had to use the registry method, did not see it in group policy editor, why is that? I have pro version 2OH2 168935
  8. shut down loop

in Windows 10 Customization
    shut down loop: I can't get out of MFS 2020. It comes back up with Xbox live By e-mail by player icon them on bottom "Switch Account" "LET'S PLAY". I HIT THE "X" . Then it goes to the start screen "Press any Key to Start". Then it comes back to Xbox....
  9. When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later

in Windows 10 Support
    When Virtual Memory is enabled, shutting down causes boot loop later: Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.418 i7-4790K, 32 GB AX860i Power Supply Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did not keep "my files and documents" but it was still an upgrade, not a clean install to formatted drive. I noticed that after I "Shut Down", if I...
  10. BOOT LOOP AFTER SUDDEN SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BOOT LOOP AFTER SUDDEN SHUT DOWN: Hello fellas.I need your help immediately. Let me start the story.I was playing some Rocket League when my power suddenly cut off in the entire house.Of course this also shut down my computer.After the power got back,my PC was not booting Windows at all.Just blue screens and...