Windows 10: When will the "Open Map" option of the Photos app on the PC be fixed?

Discus and support When will the "Open Map" option of the Photos app on the PC be fixed? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It has been broken a long time already. It is very annoying to have this functionality not functioning? Either take the hyperlink off the form, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MarkTiede, Feb 20, 2020.

1. MarkTiede Win User

When will the "Open Map" option of the Photos app on the PC be fixed?

It has been broken a long time already. It is very annoying to have this functionality not functioning? Either take the hyperlink off the form, or fix it please. preferably the former

:)

MarkTiede, Feb 20, 2020
  2. philc43 Win User

Open with another app 'photos'

I've just checked my own and for comparison this is what appears when selecting open with for a .jpg photo file:

When will the "Open Map" option of the Photos app on the PC be fixed? [​IMG]

If I select an image file which doesn't have associations set such as a GIMP .xcf file I see an open with... and clicking this gets to the alternative windows apps selection box:

I wonder if this gives you a clue to what your missing app should be?

philc43, Feb 20, 2020
  3. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Feb 20, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Why is "Open map" failing in Photos app in windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that the Open map option doesn’t work through Photos app, we will look into this for you. However, it would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• Which version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.
    • What is the version Photos app? To check open Photos app, click on
      Ellipsis > Settings > About

Meanwhile, you may try the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Changing privacy settings

We can try changing the privacy settings for location and see if that helps in resolving the issue. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Privacy.
    3. Under Allow apps to access your location, toggle the switch to enable the option.
    4. Scroll down and do the same for Maps.

Method 2: New user account

If Method 1 didn’t help, we can try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists in new user account. Follow the steps mentioned in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

I’ll be researching on this issue and will update you if I come across any other troubleshooting steps.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

1. When will the "Open Map" option of the Photos app on the PC be fixed? - Similar Threads - Open Map option

2. Photos app not displaying photos or options when selecting from explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app not displaying photos or options when selecting from explorer: When selecting a photo either double click or right click+open, the photos app is almost entirely blank showing only its background theme color.Photos app is working as I can open it manually and find photos in directories from within the app. I can also right click and edit...
  3. Photos app not displaying photos or options when selecting from explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app not displaying photos or options when selecting from explorer: When selecting a photo either double click or right click+open, the photos app is almost entirely blank showing only its background theme color.Photos app is working as I can open it manually and find photos in directories from within the app. I can also right click and edit...
  4. Photos App and Maps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos App and Maps: Been using the win10 64 bit photos app and lots of my photos have location information in them. When viewing the photos in the app, click on the "File Info" and it displays a small map with location at the left side, but, it also has under the small map "Open Map" which you...
  5. "Open map" of Photos does not work.

"Open map" of Photos does not work.: This question was asked before, but that thread is locked, so I am asking it here: Why doesn't "Open map" work? [ATTACH] Every app under Setting > Privacy > Location has been given the permission: [ATTACH]...
  6. Open Map doesn't work anymore in Microsoft Photos App

Open Map doesn't work anymore in Microsoft Photos App: This feature used to work last winter. If I opened a photo in Photos and then selected File information and clicked on Open map under location it would open Maps and show where the photo was taken. Some time over the summer it stopped working (after an Windows 10 update)....
  7. Why is "Open map" failing in Photos app in windows 10?

Why is "Open map" failing in Photos app in windows 10?: I open file explorer. I navigate to and double click any photo. The Photos app launches and shows the picture. I click on the "..." and then "file info". That shows a section on the left side of the page with a map. Below the map it says "Open map". When I click on...
  8. Photo's APP - "Open Map" broken going from V2019.19041.16510.0 to V2019.19051.16210.0

Photo's APP - "Open Map" broken going from V2019.19041.16510.0 to V2019.19051.16210.0: identified that when upgrading between these versions the "Open Map" functionality broke. it was working prior to the upgrade, watched update happen and open map stopped working. Right click image, file information, Left side at the bottom under the image of the map, click...
  9. Maps app won't open

Maps app won't open: When i open the app it launch but after a few seconds it close by itself! Any fix please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maps-app-wont-open/f7cfd655-587b-418a-a488-3d0e4011064b
  10. Maps App will not delete or open Google maps

Maps App will not delete or open Google maps: I do not want to use windows/microsoft Maps I have been using Google Maps and have found I can crte an Icon & Tile that will pin to start but want to remove the Maps Tile or make it do the job. So far I have failed to remove it or get it to open Google maps. I cannot get...