Windows 10: When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL?

Discus and support When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have not been able to find any official information about the implementation of TLS 1.3 security protocol in Windows 10. In particular the SCHANNEL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stephenthomson3, Nov 11, 2019.

1. When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL?

I have not been able to find any official information about the implementation of TLS 1.3 security protocol in Windows 10.

In particular the SCHANNEL api which implements cryptography on streams that for example, a web server would use, like IIS.

Information on this is important as we must implement an SCHANNEL server which supports TLS 1.3 well before the previous versions are considered deprecated on the web. SSLLABS is adding a warning to our security test which states:

This server supports TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1. Grade will be capped to B from January 2020.

So, in January, which is 2 months away, only TLS 1.2 will still be considered grade A security, and of course it will expire soon as well, as TLS 1.3 is a major improvement to 1.2.

We need lead time to implement and test TLS 1.3 well before the expiration of older protocols.

And yet, as of this time (11/11/2019) there has been no information on the Windows timeframe for support of TLS 1.3.

Please give us more information on the topic of TLS 1.3 security protocol.

:)

stephenthomson3, Nov 11, 2019
  2. curatia Win User

Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Nov 11, 2019
  3. SSL/TLS

Instructions

1. From Notepad.exe, create a text file named TLS12-Enable.reg.

2. Copy and paste the following text into the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]

"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Server]

3. Save TLS12-Enable.reg.

4. Double-click the TLS12-Enable.reg file.

5. Click Yes to update your Windows Registry with these changes.

6. Restart the machine for the changes to take effect.

ErnestoAcosta Labrada, Nov 11, 2019
  4. When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL?

TLS 1.2

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To update to TLS 1.2 follow this instructions:

1. From Notepad.exe, create a text file named TLS12-Enable.reg.

2. Copy and paste the following text into the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Server]

1. Save TLS12-Enable.reg.

2. Double-click the TLS12-Enable.reg file.

3. Click Yes to update your Windows Registry with these changes.

4. Restart the machine for the changes to take effect.

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL?

1. When will TLS 1.3 be available in SCHANNEL? - Similar Threads - TLS available SCHANNEL

2. When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...: Hello,When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for setting up an encrypted channel of communication between a client and server disabled?We still need TLS 1.1, so when it will be disabled? By a Microsoft patch? And how could we...
  3. When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for...: Hello,When will be the transport Layer Security TLS internet protocol TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 for setting up an encrypted channel of communication between a client and server disabled?We still need TLS 1.1, so when it will be disabled? By a Microsoft patch? And how could we...
  4. Schannel Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Schannel Error: I keep getting this error when playing MW19. I just got a new PC, it's a Windows 11. The certificate received from the remote server does not contain the expected name. It is therefore not possible to determine whether we are connecting to the correct server. The server name...
  5. Schannel Error

Schannel Error: I keep getting this error when playing MW19. I just got a new PC, it's a Windows 11. The certificate received from the remote server does not contain the expected name. It is therefore not possible to determine whether we are connecting to the correct server. The server name...
  6. Schannel Event ID 36871 TLS Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Schannel Event ID 36871 TLS Error: Hello all,I have a Windows Server 2016 that host MDT, and its been getting flooded with Schannel Error every few seconds. Error description: "A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10011."Currently I only have TLS 1.2...
  7. Schannel Event ID 36871 TLS Error

Schannel Event ID 36871 TLS Error: Hello all,I have a Windows Server 2016 that host MDT, and its been getting flooded with Schannel Error every few seconds. Error description: "A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10011."Currently I only have TLS 1.2...
  8. Error Schannel 36871

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Schannel 36871: I have Win 10 Pro, I have an issue when browsing Facebook. After a few minutes my PC locks up. I've looked at Event Viewer and it seems that the predominant Error is the 36871. Also the error shows up immediately in Event Viewer after a reboot, before logging on to Facebook....
  9. Schannel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Schannel: After some update on February 24, 2021 I have been getting some errors regarding TLS client credential. The event viewer states "A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10013." The last time I ever received this according to...
  10. Schannel 36887

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Schannel 36887: Hey, pretty new to the IT-world, so please don't judge to hard. On the servers I'm looking at, the task-manager shows me the Error with ID 36887 and it happens every few seconds. It doesn't seem to have any impact on the behaviour of anything. I did an extra Antivirus-Scan,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this server supports tls 1.0 and tls 1.1. grade will be capped to b from january 2020. more info »type a message

2. when will windows support tls 1.3