Windows 10: When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again

Discus and support When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 users will be able to upgrade their devices to Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system, according to Microsoft. Microsoft unveiled its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 28, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again

Windows 10 users will be able to upgrade their devices to Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft unveiled its upcoming operating system last week and things started to get confusing right from the get-go. The company released a program, the PC Health Check tool, that reveals if a device is compatible with Windows 11. Many devices that users tested were not compatible because if stricter processor and TPM requirements.

The first iteration of the tool returned an unhelpful message if a device was not compatible, simply stating that the device could not run Windows 11. Third-party tools were created quickly that provided the missing explanation. Microsoft did upgrade its own tool eventually to highlight why Windows 11 is not an option for the tested device.

When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again windows-11-upgrade-free-when.png

Windows 11 will be released later this year according to Microsoft, a leak suggests in October 2021. One user asked Microsoft on Twitter about the release date, and Microsoft responded in the following way:

Windows 11 is due out later in 2021 and will be delivered over several months. The rollout of the upgrade to Windows 10 devices already in use today will begin in 2022 through the first half of that year.

The first sentences reiterates that Windows 11 will be out later in 2021. The second sentence on the other hand may cause confusion, as Microsoft reveals in it that the upgrade from Windows 10 devices to Windows 11 devices will begin in the first half of 2022.

Does that mean that Windows 10 users will have to wait half a year after the release of Windows 11 before they get the chance to upgrade to the new operating system? It is unlikely for a number of reasons, but one plausible interpretation of the sentence nevertheless.

Here is what I think Microsoft meant. Windows 11 will come out later this year. The operating system can be purchased and users may also upgrade to Windows 11 from their Windows 10 devices, provided that these are compatible. The upgrade will be offered to "seekers" only, administrators who click on the check for updates button in Windows Updates.

All compatible Windows 10 devices will receive the upgrade offer to Windows 11 then in the first half of 2022. Whether that upgrade will be enforced at one point in time, similarly to how Microsoft pushed Windows 10 on Windows 7 and 8.1 devices after the first year of release, remains to be seen.

Microsoft has a vested interest in upgrading as many devices running Windows 10 as possible, as much of Windows 11's early success depends on these updates and a positive momentum.

Now You: what is your take on all of this? (via Dr. Windows)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 28, 2021

2. Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Nice move, Microsoft! Or should I say trap!? *Shadedshun :shadedshu:

It is like a chess game, you think you saw a nice move to play but if you think deeper... You will lose your queen, bishops, knights, rooks and you are owned. *Confused When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again :confused:

Blue-Knight, Jun 28, 2021
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Jun 28, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

In what could be a fundamental shift in how Microsoft monetizes its flagship product, the Windows operating system, the company decided to offer its upcoming Windows 10 as a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10). Windows 10 will see the return of the Start Menu, a productive Desktop environment, and cutting-edge new API features such as DirectX 12.

When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again 116a_thm.jpg

Source: The Verge

btarunr, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

1. When will Windows 10 users be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free? Microsoft confuses again - Similar Threads - users able upgrade

2. When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?: When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?Please do not share link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-the-free-upgrade-for-windows-11-end/5ea4b298-c9bf-4f8b-92aa-b88cc48cedfa
  3. When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?: When will the free upgrade for windows 11 end?Please do not share link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-the-free-upgrade-for-windows-11-end/5ea4b298-c9bf-4f8b-92aa-b88cc48cedfa
  4. when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost?: when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-will-be-able-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-from/c777c7ed-20f1-4634-ab99-cac429ed6a86
  5. when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost?

when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost?: when i will be able to upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 . Will it be free of cost? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-will-be-able-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-from/c777c7ed-20f1-4634-ab99-cac429ed6a86
  6. Confusion Upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confusion Upgrading to Windows 11: so, my laptop came with pre-installed windows 10 pro, I tried to find its key but didn't get it from anywhere, so how I now upgrade it to win 11, It going to cost me??...
  7. Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 or 11, please do again

Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 or 11, please do again: Hello!I have a genuine Windows 7 that I have been using for many years. I really love this operating system, and when Windows 10 came out I didn't want to update. But after the end of support in 2020, Windows 7 has some difficulties when using the operating system. It's a...
  8. Microsoft confirms Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10: Microsoft is making Windows 11 available as a free upgrade to all Windows 10 users. In theory, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users will also get the update for free if they upgrade to Windows 10. It’s not yet clear if there will be a direct update path to Windows 11...
  9. Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?

in Windows 10 News
    Will you be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free?: When Microsoft released Windows 10, it made the decision to offer free upgrades for devices running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, provided that these devices were activated with a genuine license. A core reason for the free upgrades was Microsoft's 1-billion devices running...
  10. Windows Insiders will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 RTM for free

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Insiders will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 RTM for free: Windows Insiders will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 RTM for free | Windows Central [img] Yes!! There is a cosmic BUNNY!! Now this is full WIN!! *Biggrin