Windows 10: When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature...

Discus and support When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature update to 20H2 for end users for Win 10 Professional? We are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chrisy Mullins, Apr 2, 2021.

1. When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature...

When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature update to 20H2 for end users for Win 10 Professional?

We are currently slowly updating our User base from 1909 to 20H2. What happens if we do not complete by the EOL in May? Does it FORCE the update on the end users?

:)

Chrisy Mullins, Apr 2, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

When will 1909 be forced to download the Feature Update?

..and which version will it get?

Microsoft have said in the past that an optional Feature Update offered by Windows Update will only remain optional until at or near end of service for your current version. There has never been a clear statement of what 'near' means. To that end I have deliberately left a virtual machine on Win10 Pro version 1909 to see if/when it gets forced to update. I have also set it's group policy to 'notify for download' so that it won't upgrade until I permit it.

1909 reaches end of service on 10th May 2021.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...se-information

Today, some two months ahead of end of service, the Feature Update has just switched from being optional to 'Pending download'. Interestingly, it is the update to 2004 that's now being forced, not 20H2. That's still showing as an optional update.

When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature... [​IMG]

Bree, Apr 2, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    What happens when 1803 reaches end of life date

Unless you've taken steps to block/defer feature and/or quality updates, then by now you should see an 'end of life' warning and a 'Download and install now' option for the Feature Update. I see this in 1803 on my test machine:

When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature... [​IMG]

Some however are seeing a 'not quite ready...' message (usually due the 3rd-party drivers/software that needs an update).

Device not ready to update to 1903

As the end of life approaches an 'un-tweaked' install of 1803 should be automatically updated to 1903 through Windows Update. This has already started....

Microsoft now auto updating Windows 10 version 1803 and older to 1903

If you have 'tweaked' your system in any way to put off updates, then undo those tweaks now. After clicking 'Check for updates' it should either say 'download and install now' if it passes initial compatibility checks, or 'not quite ready...' if it doesn't.

Bree, Apr 2, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature...

Windows 10 version 1909 will reach end of service on May 11, 2021

Current status as of February 3, 2021
    Windows 10, version 1909 is designated ready for broad deployment for all users via Windows Update. The recommended servicing status is Semi-Annual Channel.

Reminder On May 11, 2021, the Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations editions of Windows 10 version 1909 and all editions of Windows Server, version 1909 will reach end of service. Education and Enterprise editions of Windows 10, version 1909 will reach end of service May 11, 2022. For information about servicing timelines, see the Windows lifecycle fact sheet.

Read more:

Brink, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature...

1. When Win 10 Feature version 1909 reaches end of life in May, does it FORCE the Feature... - Similar Threads - Feature version 1909

2. Can't Update Win 10 Version due to a safeguard but my version reaches end of life soon.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Update Win 10 Version due to a safeguard but my version reaches end of life soon.: I can't update to Win 10 version 2004 due to a safeguard possibly the affected Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers one. However, I'm receiving a notice that my version of Win 10 will reach end of service soon. My PC is less than 2 years old. What options do I have. Thanks!...
  3. Windows 10 1909 reaches end of service in May

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1909 reaches end of service in May: I am running Windows 10 Home version 1909, built 18363.1440 and receiving messages from MS that I should update my system. However, when I try to update my system via windows update service it says no Updates available....
  4. When does support for Windows 10 version 1909 end?

When does support for Windows 10 version 1909 end?: I got a message stating that support for my version of Windows 10 was scheduled to end soon, so I’m updating to the latest build, version 20H2. But now I’m curious; when is support for version 1909 scheduled to end?...
  5. When will 1909 be forced to download the Feature Update?

When will 1909 be forced to download the Feature Update?: ..and which version will it get? Microsoft have said in the past that an optional Feature Update offered by Windows Update will only remain optional until at or near end of service for your current version. There has never been a clear statement of what 'near' means. To that...
  6. Windows 10 version 1909 will reach end of service on May 11, 2021

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1909 will reach end of service on May 11, 2021: Current status as of February 3, 2021 Windows 10, version 1909 is designated ready for broad deployment for all users via Windows Update. The recommended servicing status is Semi-Annual Channel. Reminder On May 11, 2021, the Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations...
  7. Awaiting Media Feature Pack for version 1909 - May 7 2020

Awaiting Media Feature Pack for version 1909 - May 7 2020: Hello Community, Can anybody tell me when a Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 version 1909 would be due out, or if it is already available? The feature pack is critical for my Windows 10 to be able to run a new install of Adobe Photoshop remedies a persistent...
  8. Windows 10 Feature Update Version 1909 Does Not Install

Windows 10 Feature Update Version 1909 Does Not Install: Why can't Windows 10 Feature Update Version 1909 download and install correctly on my PC? Every day when I check for updates, the download status is indicated as Pending Download. After a while, it says: Downloading 0% but when the download progress has reached 100%, it says...
  9. Feature Update version 1909

Feature Update version 1909: Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 is still offered as an optional update. Frankly this update being offered as optional makes me hesitate if I should go ahead to apply it or wait until it is offered as a necessary, not an optional update. I am under the impression...
  10. Optional Feature Windows 10 version 1909

Optional Feature Windows 10 version 1909: Currently Windows Update reflects an optional Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1909. However, no information about the update is given and I am in two minds whether to choose to download and install the update or not. How do I ascertain details relating to the...