Windows 10: Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....

Discus and support Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'.... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'. I am unable to open regedit, PowerShell, etc. Please assist... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IrslanRafique, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....

Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'. I am unable to open regedit, PowerShell, etc. Please assist

:)

IrslanRafique, Jan 7, 2023
  2. erocker Win User

Exe file slow to open

A SFX archive isn't going to open right away. The files have to be extracted first. When you are opening it in WinRar, it's not extracting the file, it's just reading it which is why it opens right away.

erocker, Jan 7, 2023
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Exe file slow to open

Possible... I had Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm, both, on different machines & times, misbehavin' and had to re-install them to set them right.
    Even after cleaning them out and re-setting them; they would still bog the file access times down and cause Windows Explorer (not ie) to be slow on opening and accessing, until re-installed.

If he turns off real-time detection it will not make any difference, as he has already been opening the file... he would/should have gotten an alert or warning if there were a problem with the file he is testing with.

Probably not; but, how much ram?
    What version of Windows?
    Where is you swap file located? What size?
    How full are your drives?
    What processor?
    Have you got the latest firmware for your SSD?
    Are your drivers up to date?
    Is your MB bios current?

Is the file an installation file, video file, etc? Does it use compression?

You need to goto User CP and put your system info there and then check the box to show the specs. The info will go a long way in helping some to diagnose your possible problem(s).

95Viper, Jan 7, 2023
  4. Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....

Problem about opening .exe files

model: HP Pavilion Notebook

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1607

Okay, I was wrong. The .exe files of apps (such as WPS Office) can be opened if I choose the apps themselves to open the apps when that window (You will need a new app to open this file) pops up. However, there is still a problem
    as every time I open the apps the window pops up and I have to choose again.

Although I can open .exe files of apps, I still can't open .exe files of the system (such as Command Prompt
    and Task Manager) as I can't find the file location.

Before I did the steps on that link, I was trying to open .exe files on a DVD, which the files failed to open. There was no issue in opening .exe files on the computer though. Something I noticed is that the file type of all .exe files became "%1"%* after
    I did what the link told me to.

I haven't done anything after the current problem occurred.

Thank you.

PaulTangYZ, Jan 7, 2023
Thema:

Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....

1. Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'.... - Similar Threads - Whenever open app

2. Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file: Saya tidak sengaja mensetting default open file exe saya ke adobe acrobat aplikasi saya semua berubah icon menjadi adobe acrobat,saya menghapus adobe acrobat saya dan file exe dilaptop saya saat membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file...
  3. Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file: Saya tidak sengaja mensetting default open file exe saya ke adobe acrobat aplikasi saya semua berubah icon menjadi adobe acrobat,saya menghapus adobe acrobat saya dan file exe dilaptop saya saat membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file...
  4. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  5. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  6. Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'....: Whenever I open any app/.exe file I see this error 'Select an app to open this .exe file'. I am unable to open regedit, PowerShell, etc. Please assist...
  7. Cannot open ANY .exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open ANY .exe file: Hi all, Sorry for the style. I’m on my phone. So today I installed Emacs from gnu.org, and opened my first .sml file. Later I tried to open the .sml by double click it and I think I chose Emacs to open it. Then suddenly a console prompts out and it changes all of the...
  8. Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.: Open a file or app I get a System file error (-1073741819) I search and find to sfc /scannow, also did the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth. I did these scans and troubleshoot many times but it does not resolve the problem. Today I find Create Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 cannot open any exe files or apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 cannot open any exe files or apps: Windows 10 cannot open any downloaded executables or even apps like the windows 10 updater on the desktop. Also cannot uninstall any programs. If I (win key, X) it takes me to powershell. No able to open anythin in (win key, R) either. How to fix this?????...
  10. I cant open any EXE files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cant open any EXE files: Windows 10 laptop, When I got this I was able to open EXE files but now I'm not sure why it has not been working and it says "Windows cannot find 'Supposed File' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again" (Also I'm not very computer wise so, sorry)...