Windows 10: Whenever I try to read or scan my external hard drive my computer freezes and i have to...

Discus and support Whenever I try to read or scan my external hard drive my computer freezes and i have to... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In Disk Management the hard drive is completely healthy and running sfc in cmd didn't fix this. I can't open anythning in the hard drive and I also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Yelor101, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Yelor101 Win User

Whenever I try to read or scan my external hard drive my computer freezes and i have to...

In Disk Management the hard drive is completely healthy and running sfc in cmd didn't fix this. I can't open anythning in the hard drive and I also cannot right click on the hard drive or any programs/files in it or else my computer will freeze. The issue started about 3 hours when the hard drive swapped letters with my cd drive. I can't change the letter of my hard drive back to normal because disk managment won't open with my hard drive plugged in and i cant change the letter of my cd drive.

:)

Yelor101, Feb 22, 2019

2. How do I scan external hard drive

Hello Kevin,

If you already have antivirus software installed, then scanning an external hard drive should be simple.

• Connect your external hard drive to your desktop, wait for your computer to recognize that your external hard drive has been connected.
    • Open My Pc on your desktop, and select the external hard drive and scan it.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Feb 22, 2019
  3. Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Whenever I try to read or scan my external hard drive my computer freezes and i have to...

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Whenever I try to read or scan my external hard drive my computer freezes and i have to... - Similar Threads - Whenever try read

2. How do i open my external Hard Drive on my Computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i open my external Hard Drive on my Computer?: It used to work before, but after the most recent update my computer doesn't open any usb drives or hard drives. It says connected and shows up in devices, but it doesnt actually open the devices at all. Ive gone though different sites and downloads that were able to retrieve...
  3. How do i open my external Hard Drive on my Computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i open my external Hard Drive on my Computer?: It used to work before, but after the most recent update my computer doesn't open any usb drives or hard drives. It says connected and shows up in devices, but it doesnt actually open the devices at all. Ive gone though different sites and downloads that were able to retrieve...
  4. How do i open my external Hard Drive on my Computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  6. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  7. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I have my oneDrive folder on an external HDD drive, but I read that this is NOT supported...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have my oneDrive folder on an external HDD drive, but I read that this is NOT supported...: I have my oneDrive folder on an external HDD drive, but I read that this is NOT supported As far as I can tell my setup is working perfectly. Why Is it not recommended?...
  9. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  10. I don't have permission my external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have permission my external hard drive.: I can't download or change anything inside my hard drive. Everytime i try to do so i get the Message "You dont have permission to do this" even though i am admin on my PC. This is the 2nd time i have this problem, last time i just formated the Whole disk and it worked fine...