Windows 10: Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?

Discus and support Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Windows 10 operating system comes with a set of wallpapers and the ability to refresh wallpapers regularly from a pool of images. The following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 9, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?

The Windows 10 operating system comes with a set of wallpapers and the ability to refresh wallpapers regularly from a pool of images. The following guide provides users of Windows 10 with instructions on finding these wallpapers on the local system.

Let's say you want to use them on your other devices (smartphone, TV, Xbox One or PS4), or want to make a background image of the past the permanent background on the Windows 10 device. You need to know where to find these wallpapers, and that is the guide for that.

Even if you are an advanced user, there is a chance you may not know about it. You won't find them in the Pictures folder, that's for sure.

Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10? Where-are-desktop-backgrounds-wallpapers-stored-in-Windows-10.jpg

Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder or copy the path and jump to it directly: C:\Windows\Web.

This is not really an obvious place to find wallpapers, is it? One would think the folder is probably something related to the internet. The Web folder houses 3 sub-folders which are called: 4K, Screen, and Wallpaper. Surprisingly, all three folders have wallpapers and different ones at that.

The default Windows 10 wallpaper, which is the one with the light beams and the Windows logo, can be found inside the "C:\Windows\Web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows" folder. The name is once again a bit misleading because the 4K folder also happens to contain the wallpaper in several other screen resolutions like 1024 x 768, 1366 x 768, 1920 x 1200, 2560 x 1600 and 3840 x 2160 pixels.

You may have noticed that the aspect ratios of the wallpaper differs, so you may want to select the one that matches your device's display resolution. If it doesn't match the screen size, you can always resize the wallpaper using a tool such as Irfan View, Fast Stone Photo Resizer, Flexxi, etc.

The second folder "Screen" contains photos which the operating system uses for its lock screen and log-on screen. That is probably why the folder is named "screen".

Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10? desktop-backgrounds-location-in-Windows-10.jpg

The Wallpaper folder has a number of sub-folders of its own: Windows and Windows 10, and then a number of folders based on past usage. You may have folders like landscapes, architecture, or flowers there.

If you are a fan of macro photography and nature, you will probably dig what's in the Flowers folder. The Windows folder has one wallpaper, and that is the 1920 x 1200 pixels version of the default wallpaper. The Windows 10 folder on the other hand, contains some nice walls related to outdoor activities.

Themes

Another source of wallpapers are themes. These themes, you may install hundreds of them from the Microsoft Store, are not placed in the Web folder when you install them. Instead, they are placed in the user folder.

Use the following path as a starting point in File Explorer to browse the installed themes and the backgrounds they come with: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Closing Words

Now that you know where to find the wallpapers, you can copy them to your other devices or maybe use it on a multi-monitor setup too. You can drop your own wallpapers in the folders in case you want to switch to a different one quickly from the Personalization section in the Settings app.

I have seen fan edited versions of the default wallpaper which look stunning. Some have different colors for the background while maintaining the art style, maybe you can create something similar with it if you are a graphics designer.

Which among the default Windows 10 wallpapers is your favorite?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 9, 2019
  2. lZKoce Win User

Wallpaper setup in Windows 10

Hello everyone,

laugh all you want, but I have an issue with Windows 10 and setting up wallpapers. Right click-> background doesn't help. I want the old school screen I have seen in Windows 8. I want to set up a dual monitor wallpaper. This command used to take me to the right place :

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper , but now it doesn't. What could be the problem here ?

The wallpaper page is no longer available from Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personlization > Desktop background like in Windows 8. Why did they change this is beyond my understanding. Anyone with an idea is more than welcomed.

Windows version is : 1703 ( OS build 15063.483 )
    Windows edition: Home
    Activation status: Digital license linked to my MS Account

lZKoce, Oct 9, 2019
  3. GHuff96 Win User
    different Desktop wallpaper backgrounds

Hi guys,

So I found out you can set up different desktops on my laptop.

I have 3, (one for school, one for other productivity stuff and one for fun/entertainment)

Can I set up 3 different wallpapers for each desktop background?

I tried using settings and "change my desktop background" but that changes all 3 instead of just the one I'm currently on.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

GHuff96, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

desktop background

Hi,

To make sure you are on the right track, please follow the steps below:

• Click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Open Settings.
    • Select Personalization.
    • Under Choose a fit, select either Fill or
      Fit
      , until your wallpaper adjusts to your liking.
    You can also find a guide to personalizing your desktop background on this
    page.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Ruz San, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Where are desktop

2. Desktop background or Wallpaper not showing in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Desktop background or Wallpaper not showing in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Desktop is the home of our PC and the wallpaper sets its mood. We have the option to customize or change it as per our taste. We can use our own pictures as well as the default ones. Some users are complaining that the desktop background or wallpaper on their PC has...
  3. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?: The wallpaper/spotlight shown on the monitor when Windows is sleeping shows nice pictures of different places. Sometimes in the upper right corner of the screen there is a description of what the picture shows and the question whether you like what you see; other times...
  4. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?: The wallpaper/spotlight shown on the monitor when Windows is sleeping shows nice pictures of different places. Sometimes in the upper right corner of the screen there is a description of what the picture shows and the question whether you like what you see; other times...
  5. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Where are the desktop wallpapers located in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are the desktop wallpapers located in Windows 11?: When Windows 10 was released, Microsoft shipped it with a modern home screen background. With Windows 11, the company took it to a level further with multiple abstract wallpapers. [ATTACH] Microsoft also packed 6 themes in the operating system, including some really cool...
  7. different Desktop wallpaper backgrounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    different Desktop wallpaper backgrounds: Hi guys, So I found out you can set up different desktops on my laptop. I have 3, (one for school, one for other productivity stuff and one for fun/entertainment) Can I set up 3 different wallpapers for each desktop background? I tried using settings and "change my...
  8. Windows 10 Keeps changing my desktop Background Wallpaper

Windows 10 Keeps changing my desktop Background Wallpaper: I am starting to Hate Windows 10 everyday. Did I say hate their are stronger words, nasty words, unchristian words.!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever since the last update to Creator Windows I think my computer is possessed. Poltergeist. I do a lot of file explorer operations. Every time I...
  9. Desktop wallpaper appears as Start background

Desktop wallpaper appears as Start background: I just reset my wallpaper and now it appears in the background of my Start page. I want my Start background to remain solid, as it was before I added the new wallpaper. 98363
  10. Where is Wallpaper stored?

Where is Wallpaper stored?: I changed the wallpaper on my Preview version and it also changed the wallpaper on my production system. But, I can't find the original wallpaper picture. I found the location for the pictures that come with Win 10, but not my original picture. Surely its in a folder...