Windows 10: Where are my documents?

Discus and support Where are my documents? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - my son upgraded his windows 8 laptop to windows 10 last weekend. All was fine until today, when he shutdown and restarted his computer. Now all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xdzgor, Mar 15, 2016.

1. xdzgor Win User

Where are my documents?

Hi - my son upgraded his windows 8 laptop to windows 10 last weekend. All was fine until today, when he shutdown and restarted his computer. Now all his documents are gone. The "Documents" folder is still there, but it is empty. How does this happen? All his programs are there, but none of the documents.
    If we revert to windows 8, will his documents be regenerated? Note there is a "windows.old" folder, but the "Documents" folder here is also empty.
    Thanks.

:)

xdzgor, Mar 15, 2016

2. Where are my files?

Noticed none of my personal files were in This PC after all updates from Windows. I reverted to a previous build and there it all was again. Hope that helps someone.

Where are my files, Mar 15, 2016
  3. where is my music? where are my documents? they are not showing in either folder (music or doucments).

Hello Ray,

Thank you for getting back to us with any update.

Usually you can see missing files in Windows.old. However you try to search and failed to find them. Try the below steps and see if it helps you.

* Go to ThisPC,

* When you're on ThisPC, you will find search bar
    on top right of the window. Enter the names of the file which you seen missing. Like music or document files name into the search space.

* Wait till the search completes. If it brings up the missing files, then right click on the file and select
    Open file location. This another way to find the missing files.

Note: Click and expand
    View ribbon on top of the menu and select Hidden items
    check box before you start search.

If it doesn't bring up the files, then it is clear that the files are unavailable on your PC.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Where are my documents?

Your not looking in the OneDrive Documents folder by accident maybe?

alphanumeric, Mar 15, 2016
  5. xdzgor Win User
    No, we have looked there as well, and in the three Documents folders we can find:
    This PC / Local Disk (C*Smile / Users / Default / Documents
    This PC / Local Disk (C*Smile / Users / Default.migrated / Documents
    This PC / Local Disk (C*Smile / Users / paul / Documents

All these folders are empty.

xdzgor, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Check the recycle bin in case they accidentally got deleted. Or try using system restore to go back to a point they were still there. If the documents folder is empty in the windows.old, going back to that OS won't restore them.

alphanumeric, Mar 16, 2016
  7. See if a document app (such as Word) can open the last document it opened.

Do a search for files with a .doc or .docx extension

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where are my documents?

1. Where are my documents? - Similar Threads - Where are documents

2. WHERE ARE MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WHERE ARE MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS?: Just scanned the document but cannot find it on the system. Windows 10.*Moved from Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-scanned-documents/4eaf82fd-a93e-4060-9d90-9c467e4de072
  3. WHERE ARE MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHERE ARE MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS?: Just scanned the document but cannot find it on the system. Windows 10.*Moved from Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-scanned-documents/4eaf82fd-a93e-4060-9d90-9c467e4de072
  4. WHERE ARE MY SCANNED DOCUMENTS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where are my document, photo and desktop?

Where are my document, photo and desktop?: Hello, after I started using one drive for this class I am taking, all of my documents, photos and desktop have disappeared from my PC. I never ASKED for any of this so what is going on? I ONLY want to store things relevant to school on that onedrive. I find this highly...
  6. Where are my document, photo and desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my document, photo and desktop?: Hello, after I started using one drive for this class I am taking, all of my documents, photos and desktop have disappeared from my PC. I never ASKED for any of this so what is going on? I ONLY want to store things relevant to school on that onedrive. I find this highly...
  7. Where are my document, photo and desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Where are my pictures and documents???

Where are my pictures and documents???: I reinstalled Win 10 because of an intractable problem with cookies and passwords being erased by an unknown cause. Now I cannot find my pictures and documents. Only a fraction went onto Onedrive. There were on file location on disk C:. Where are they???...
  9. Where is my 'documents' folder saved?

Where is my 'documents' folder saved?: On file explorer my 'documents' folder doesn't seem to be in Windows C: or Data D:, it looks like it's separate from both. Also when I look at both disks with TreeSize it shows no evidence of a documents folder, but when I view storage via the computer's settings it says...
  10. Where are My Documents in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are My Documents in Windows 10?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]We have seen people asking about this “My Documents” folder. I remember when using Windows XP and Windows 7, this used to be the folder where we kept all our documents. The other side of the question could be that [...] This post Where are My Documents in...